NL only trade help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL only trade help.

NL only 5x5 12 team ultra keeper league.

I am in rebuilding mode.

I have been offered Carlos Martinez 10Y (done after next year) and Patrick Corbin 2A (good for two years or can give a raise after next year at $5 per year) for my Hector Olivera 15F (free until 130abs) for the next 3 years (can also be given a raise after year two at $5 per year) and David Dahl 5F.

Given Dahl's injury and Olivera's contract and lack of power I am strongly considering it.

I thought I might get some thoughts from the pen.

Thank you.

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Not sure why people keep saying that Olivera has no power. Perhaps someone can enlighten me, because that's the opposite of what Baseball America has said. I've heard it twice today on this board, though.
    Mostly because he has 98 hrs in 660 games. But I could be wrong in how that translates to MLB.

Anyway would you make the trade?

Thank you.

Comment

Corbin's control is clearly back (1 walk in 10 innings) and his velocity is back where it was pre-surgery. Even the groundball rate is back. He somehow gave up 3 HR on 11 fly balls so maybe the command still needs time.

This deal is really about Corbin. I loved Dahl before the injury but who knows? I think C-Mart is a nice $20ish pitcher next year so there's some profit there. I don't think Olivera is a superstar but I can see .285-18 HR. If that comes with 2B/3B eligibility then he's profitable at 15. If it comes in the outfield, maybe not.

The other big question is whether Olivera gets 130 ABs this year. What if he doesn't? Then he's an amazing keeper and you don't want to do it. But he's already on rehab and I think the Dodgers are going to give him some outfield time, so if he's up for 65 games, I think he can average 2 ABs a game. Turner will cool off at 3B. I think.

I'm always hesitant to bet on pitching. I'd much rather rebuild with hitters. But I think this gets you close to $20 in profit for next year between C-Mart and Corbin, and you give up Dahl who is at least a late 2016 guy and probably further off than that, and the likely right to keep Olivera for $15 which is meh.

Comment

In general, I agree with JC on building with hitting over pitching. But I don't see Dahl as being any help until 2017 at best, and Olivera is a good but not awesome keeper at 15. Corbin is an excellent keep at 2 for the reasons JC noted. But Martinez at 10 is the key to me - if you think your rebuild is good enough to compete next year, you want CMart on your team.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
          So like 25 per 162 games? I guess we have different definitions of "no power".
          Well, it appears my math was off a bit, but in fairness I did not say no power, I said lack of power. Some how I was thinking about 10-12 hrs in MLB.

So how about answering if you would do the trade?

Thanks Chance and JC for your input.

I do have Kang and D LeMahieu as MI keepers with Franco for 3b. I have built a good OF in Hamilton, Puig, Pollock, and Taylor. I just hate to give up bats for pitching.
          Last edited by Gregg; 07-15-2015, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Olivera playing the OF? That's news to me since that situation is about to become even cloudier with Crawford coming back. I could see Olivera getting called up in about a month and getting some at-bats at 3B/2B but I don't see him reaching 150 at-bats. He looks like a top-10 2B to me next year so his value shouldn't be minimized.

The only way I really like this trade is if next year is your window of opportunity since having CMart for only one year doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team giving up Olivera. Corbin's nice but not really a difference maker. Dahl's a true wild card at this point but has enough upside to possibly hurt you.

Bottom line - I wouldn't fault you for making the trade but I can't put my stamp of approval on it (for what that's worth )

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
              Olivera playing the OF? That's news to me since that situation is about to become even cloudier with Crawford coming back. I could see Olivera getting called up in about a month and getting some at-bats at 3B/2B but I don't see him reaching 150 at-bats. He looks like a top-10 2B to me next year so his value shouldn't be minimized.

The only way I really like this trade is if next year is your window of opportunity since having CMart for only one year doesn't make sense for a rebuilding team giving up Olivera. Corbin's nice but not really a difference maker. Dahl's a true wild card at this point but has enough upside to possibly hurt you.

Bottom line - I wouldn't fault you for making the trade but I can't put my stamp of approval on it (for what that's worth )
              I appreciate the input.

I mostly bring my tough choices (at least in my mind) to the board to get some food for thought.

I do have a team that I think has a real shot for next year.

Comment

Working...
              X