Packing it in....trade implications for next year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Packing it in....trade implications for next year

well.....last year's injury and underachieving disappointments spilled over to this season somehow. I updated my block and the offers are starting to come in. I will include the players I'm giving up, but only to make sure that I'm not going to get called out for a lopsided trade. I will probably keep this thread as a running thread to get your feedback.

5x5 roto with OBP instead of avg. Salaries go up $5 every year, no limit.

Trade #1
    I send King Felix and Storen $7 ($12 in 2016)

He offered
    McCullers $2 ($7 in 2016) and McGee $2 ($7 in 2016)

I am planning on countering as I don't believe McGee offers me anything. I will be countering with Clippard instead of Storen and looking to get Carlos Gomez $14 ($19 2016) or Joey Bats ($20 in 2016) instead. he also has Pederson @ $6 ($11 in 2016) but I doubt he lets him go. if he does, i'll let Storen go.

thoughts?

It's hard to figure out what dump deals should look like from league to league. Can you give us a couple examples of other dump deals (in previous years if necessary)?

In most of my leagues I'd be surprised if I could get what looks like an excellent cheap pitcher and an underpriced top-end player for Felix and a mediocre closer, if only because I'd be surprised if the other team could afford to give up Gomez or Votto without getting a hitter back.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
      It's hard to figure out what dump deals should look like from league to league. Can you give us a couple examples of other dump deals (in previous years if necessary)?

In most of my leagues I'd be surprised if I could get what looks like an excellent cheap pitcher and an underpriced top-end player for Felix and a mediocre closer, if only because I'd be surprised if the other team could afford to give up Gomez or Votto without getting a hitter back.
      fair enough. as for past "dump deals" i'll see if I can find something. I just don't like to make a deal that doesn't look fair or that doesn't provide some benefit to me next year. McGee doesn't really do anything for me as Boxberger is the guy for the forseeable future I would imagine. unless you all have better insight/information. he is top or near top in offense and is sitting at 52 points on that end. I suppose I should talk things over with him to determine his interest. lol

mainly I'm looking for advice on the keepers I'm acquiring. in this case, is McCullers the next up and coming ace? is there something I should be excited about with McGee? is Gonzales looking like he's trending down or is this season just a hiccup? is Bautista worth $20 at 35 years old next year? is Pederson what he appears to be or is he this year's version of a splash and will come crashing back to earth in 2016?

looking at Pederson's minor league stats, i'll probably have to sweeten the deal a bit further. prob something like Felix, Storen, and Heyward or Bruce for Pederson and McCullers.

Comment

I agree that you don't want to put a lot of value on McGee hoping he gets the job back. McCullers sure looks good though; I don't know of anything in particular to be worried about with him. Pederson hits the ball real hard, which is a good sign in general. I think Gomez has had some fluky health problems this year which have cut into his running, although he's also not drawing as many walks as he did the last few years. Bautista... he has to get old sometime, right? But he's probably still worth $20 next year.

My concern with offering Felix and Clippard for McCullers and Gomez or Bautista is that unless you're putting a really big discount on McCullers for being unproven, that looks like an approximately fair trade in a redraft league. I think trying to add Bruce and Pederson is probably closer to getting done at least from a talent perspective; talk up how good Bruce has been the last month.
        In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

some 2014 deadline trades:

Lester, Jon SP | OAK
          Solarte, Yangervis LF | SD
          Upton, Justin RF | ATL

for

Sandoval, Pablo 3B | SF
          Marte, Starling CF | PIT
          Feliz, Neftali RP | TEX
          deGrom, Jacob SP | NYM

Andrus, Elvis SS | TEX

for

Lowrie, Jed SS | OAK
          Soler, Jorge RF | CHC

Ventura, Yordano SP | KC
          Castro, Starlin SS | CHC

for

Altuve, Jose 2B | HOU
          Scherzer, Max SP | DET

Price, David SP | DET
          Broxton, Jonathan RP | MIL
          Gonzalez, Adrian 1B | LAD

for

Fernandez, Jose SP | MIA
          Hutchison, Drew SP | TOR
          Harvey, Matt SP | NYM

Duffy, Danny SP | KC
          Segura, Jean SS | MIL
          Hamilton, Josh RF | LAA

for

Bradley, Archie SP | ARI
          Crawford, Carl LF | LAD
          Odor, Rougned 2B | TEX
          Simmons, Andrelton SS | ATL
          Dunn, Adam 1B | OAK
          Last edited by ; 07-13-2015, 03:11 PM.

Comment

ok. just had an offer for Felix and either Bruce or Heyward for Matz and Betts. Matz worries me as he's unproven.....but a partial lat tear...how bad is that? a 3 week healing doesn't sound too terrible...

Betts would be kept at $11 in 2016 and Matz would be $7 in 2016. thoughts?

the other guy is balking at Pederson, and rightfully so if he's not planning on making a run for this year. he's currently in 2nd place and the Matz/Betts offer is coming from the 1st place team. he is clearly in win now mode.

Comment

agreed.

Comment

Way better offer.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                  That's certainly a hell of a lot better offer, imo. I'm assuming Bruce and Heyward are not at keeper prices.
                  correct. Heyward would be in the 30's next year and Bruce would be $25.

I still prefer McCullers and Pederson, but it appears as though he won't budge. I just hate to be the one to seal everybody's coffin. the first place guys is up by 18.5 and has a smoking staff already. lol

Comment

Originally posted by redbroyer View Post
                    correct. Heyward would be in the 30's next year and Bruce would be $25.

I still prefer McCullers and Pederson, but it appears as though he won't budge. I just hate to be the one to seal everybody's coffin. the first place guys is up by 18.5 and has a smoking staff already. lol
                    Tell the guy in second that you're about to ship those two players to the top guy unless he budges. If he doesn't, hand him the nails to nail his own coffin shut.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

i'm trying to be ethical and not mention teams involved to either party. that may end up not netting me the best package, but I would prefer to keep them from thinking that I'm divulging information they may not want known.

as it would turn out, the original guy has basically come back and asked what it would take to acquire only Storen. I am going to attempt to get McCullers with a Storen/Heston package. I also have an offer out there to see if I can land Harper at $21 next year (would cost me Hamels, Clippard, and the other of Bruce/Heyward).

as for not waiting too long, I certainly do not want to wait much longer. I would like to have at least the primary deal done today, if not all three.

Comment

for what it's worth, I don't think it's unethical in the slightest to say "here's another trade offer I have, and I like it better, but if you want to improve your offer or try to argue me into thinking it's not as good as yours I'm open to it." Especially in this case, when you can say "I'm trading away Felix and Bruce or Heyward, but if you'd just give me Pederson and McCullers I'd like that better enough than the other offer that I'd throw in a closer."

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          for what it's worth, I don't think it's unethical in the slightest to say "here's another trade offer I have, and I like it better, but if you want to improve your offer or try to argue me into thinking it's not as good as yours I'm open to it." Especially in this case, when you can say "I'm trading away Felix and Bruce or Heyward, but if you'd just give me Pederson and McCullers I'd like that better enough than the other offer that I'd throw in a closer."
                          true. that does make sense. I did mention to him that I had another offer on the table and it was one that I felt was better, but if he were to include Pederson in the deal I would be happier with his offer. he then tried to offer Colabello or Burns, which I have no interest in either. in the end, if I can get Betts, Matz, and McCullers by giving up Felix, Bruce, Heston, and Storen between the two teams, i'll be happy.

Comment

well.....since placing my trade block out there, i've made three moves.

sent Felix and Heyward away for Matz - 2016 $7 and Betts - 2016 $11
                            sent Chris Heston, Drew Storen, and Carlos Santana for Hahn - dropped, Pablo - dropped, and McCullers - $7
                            sent Hamels and Fowler for Fiers - 2106 $22 and Josh Harrison - 2016 $13

i have also picked up the following off waiver wire:
                            James McCann - 2016 salary $5
                            Ervin Santana - 2016 salary $5
                            Steven Souza - 2016 salary $5
                            Mike Leake - 2016 salary $5
                            Matt Cain - 2016 salary $5
                            C.J. Cron - 2016 salary $5

i am hoping that Cain will return to his old self and i'll have a bargain as a $5 keeper next year. i think i'll keep Betts @ $11 next year. Souza @ $5 might be fun too.

as for the rest of my keepers so far, i'm looking at Arenado @ $11, Rizzo @ $19, Lindor @ $11. i can keep 8 if i make a deal with another team in the offseason. i'm hoping that some of the lower $ keepers will attract a couple 2 for 1 types and i can land another low dollar keeper or two. i don't know what i feel about Harrison @ $13.....might try to dangle him as trade bait.

i will be trying to pick up Mesoraco and Story with $0 bids in the hopes of retaining one of them next year for $5 as well.

anybody else you all think i should target? i do have some other players that i like, but their keeper amount next year doesn't make a whole lot of sense right now. (Robbie Ray @ $6, Betances @ $11, Garrett Richards @ $11, and DeShields @ $6)

Comment

Working...
                            X