Rusney Castillo & Trade Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rusney Castillo & Trade Help

What are your thoughts on Rusney Castillo? I'm thinking of targeting him in our AL league since I'm in full rebuild mode. He would be $8 / year 2 next year. Castillo struggled in the majors, though seems to be doing ok (nothing spectacular) in AAA. Still, the Red Sox sank $70 million+ into him and I get the sense he's destined to be in their outfield in future.

Any thoughts appreciated.

FWIW I was asked for a $1 Jake McGee (going into option year next year) along with Melky Cabrera $17 (also going into option year), Omar Infante $8, and Trumbo (not keepable).

Seems like McGee by himself should be enough, or maybe McGee and any 2 of 3. But the extra guys are pretty much garbage anyway. Question is really about McGee vs. Castillo.

Would it change your views if his target was Roberto Osuna $10/year 1 instead of McGee?

Comment

I'd give up Osuna at 10, but no way on McGee at 1.
      I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thanks, chancellor. Does that mean you like Castillo for next year? Are you confident that Castillo at 8 is a stronger keeper candidate than Osuna at 10?

Comment

I'd actually prefer to give up McGee rather than Osuna. McGee is a fine pitcher but the lefty bias is real so his chance may never come. The other guy's you're giving up aren't exciting so it would seem like a worthwhile trade although it seems like you could squeeze some more out of him.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
            Thanks, chancellor. Does that mean you like Castillo for next year? Are you confident that Castillo at 8 is a stronger keeper candidate than Osuna at 10?
            I'm not a big believer in Castillo, but for an extra $2 he's worth the shot. Plus, it's not like Osuna had the closer job locked down. The Jays have a lot of options there, and I'd not be surprised to see them turn over the role to Aaron Sanchez before the end of the year

Comment

Thanks a lot chancellor and overkill94. Helpful.

Comment

Left out a part - think risk mitigation. If Osuna does not close, he's likely worth $3-5. Same for McGee. Castillo can be mediocre or a little worse, and still earn you $8.

Comment

I have Castillo in a deep keeper league. There is no way, barring an en fuego month, that he will justify holding over. Is it time to cut him, or is the potential in September worth quite a bit?

J
                  Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                    I think both could be strong keepers but when in doubt, I think you've got to take the higher upside hitter. Osuna could turn out great but he could turn out like seemingly half the closers in the league each year - without a job! I'd much rather take the chance on the hitter and keep a cheap $1 Mcgee who could help your rotation at that price, even if he isn't the closer.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
                      I have Castillo in a deep keeper league. There is no way, barring an en fuego month, that he will justify holding over. Is it time to cut him, or is the potential in September worth quite a bit?

J
                      What's his price to keep him? If he's not worth keeping then it's probably not worth holding on to him for this year, depending on what alternatives are on the waiver wire.

Comment

Working...
                      X