Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trading for a title run - is this worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading for a title run - is this worth it?

Thinking about trading with some dumping teams, and here's one I may be able to swing. I'm in 1st now by a good bit, but know other teams will stock up to chase me down.

I trade:
    N Cruz $16 B
    Odorizzi $4 B
    (misc filler)

for
    Yan Gomes X (last year) (would replace Jaso or Flowers)
    Joey Bautista X (replace Cruz)
    Jacoby Ellsbury X (replace E Rosario or C Carter)
    Andrew Miller $9 A (good keeper)

Does this seem worth jumping on, or should I be able to get more mid-season from a dumping team?

What size league are we talking about here and what are your team needs?

Ellsbury probably won't be running as much as normal so his value is lower than you'd think. Gomes isn't much of an upgrade over Jaso but would be a nice replacement for Flowers. Bautista should outproduce Cruz in the 2nd half but by how much? Giving up Odorizzi for Miller is only viable if you really need saves.

Not sure you're getting enough upgrades to make it worth it, but knowing more specifics would help.

Comment

10-team AL only. I need saves and SB. Have Clippard/Tolleson now though. I would view Bautista/Cruz as a wash basically for this year. My other pitchers outside Odorizzi are: Richards, A Sanchez, Gray, Hahn, Montgomery, Rodon. Duffy, Pomeranz, O'Day, Doolittle, Severino on the bench.

Comment

I think that's fine, but you need to get another starter out of the deal if you trade Odorizzi...you have good, not great starters, and losing Odorizzi is going to be a blow. But I think that Joey Bats is better than Cruz the rest of the way, and Gardner should be fine running, IMO, but what do I know?
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Its a solid deal for you. I think it improves you this year, and the long term hit you take is mitigated by Miller's long term value. Him being an A vs a B--I think he could end up being just as good a keeper as Cruz or Odorizzi, assuming he can stay healthy and keep the job. He has shown top tier closer ability.

But I agree, losing Odorizzi could hurt. If you could manage to get a decent throw in SP back, that would make it an easier decision.

Comment

I absolutely love this deal and I'd do it even if Miller wasn't a keeper

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              I absolutely love this deal and I'd do it even if Miller wasn't a keeper
              I think the problem for me is Ellsbury - he's not hitting for power much anymore and he won't be stealing as much so he's only an asset in BA and runs. Bautista is a minor upgrade over Cruz and Gomes just isn't that special. What does that leave you? Odorizzi for Miller which is a decent straight-up trade if you've got great starting pitching and need saves. Since he says he does need saves it's fine but if he's looking for a big bump in steals Ellsbury probably isn't that guy.

Comment

I think that ppl are being a little over critical of this - I think it's a very nice deal to try to salt away a championship.
                Miller being a keeper is icing on the cake. Also, perhaps an underrated aspect is keeping JBats/Ells/Miller from being traded to another contender.
                One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

What if I can get W-Y Chen back to bolster my SP, by giving up a $1 Duffy? I'm not sure he'd be interested in Duffy. Hahn? Bundy? Doolittle?

I've also got a $15 B Alex Gordon I could dangle as a keeper that can't help me this season any more (boo). Maybe I'll offer that.

Comment

I think Chen would be a good pitcher to get back and if it cost you Duffy I would do that. Another option, if you don't need the saves you could trade Miller for a better starting pitcher with an expiring contract and maybe a modest hitting upgrade.
                    I'm unconsoled I'm lonely, I am so much better than I used to be.

The Weakerthans Aside

Comment

Definitely see what you can get for Gordon - keeper types like that who won't help you much this year are perfect guys to traded away (Springer and JHay fall into this category as well).

Comment

Working...
                      X