Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Gon Contract and Prospects traded...A good deal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Gon Contract and Prospects traded...A good deal?

Now that A Gon signed for $154 million ultimately was it a good move for the Sox to get him and give up those prospects? I guess ultimately they got him this year vs bidding on him next off season. That said, they now will have no need for Pujols (assuming he does not sign with the Cardinals)? Thoughts?

I et a real kick out of the Red Sox 'scared of the Yankees' clause. I am surprised their agent agents allowed Gonzo and Crawford to sign with that inclusion.

We'll have to wait and see whether it was a good deal. How close are the prospects to playing with the Daddys?
    After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

The prospects that Boston gave up were pretty solid. Now, with Youk, Papi and Gonzo on board, they weren't going to use Rizzo anyway. But Kelly would have been a nice piece to have. I know there is valuation out there for prospects - call it 30mil for what they gave up.

So 185mil in value for Gonzo, and no chance to bid on Fielder or Pujols. I think it was the smart move, but if Pujols ends up with the Cubs for 190mil, then maybe not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
        The prospects that Boston gave up were pretty solid. Now, with Youk, Papi and Gonzo on board, they weren't going to use Rizzo anyway. But Kelly would have been a nice piece to have. I know there is valuation out there for prospects - call it 30mil for what they gave up.

So 185mil in value for Gonzo, and no chance to bid on Fielder or Pujols. I think it was the smart move, but if Pujols ends up with the Cubs for 190mil, then maybe not so much.
        He's better than Feilder by a good margin, and he's younger, and cheaper than Pujols is. I really doubt that Albert signs for anything less that 200 million, no matter where he goes. A very sound signing for a club that can well afford it.

Plus, if you look closely at Kelly, there are some issues there...not a lot of K's, and a lot of struggles last year. Although Petco can mask a lot of warts...
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

They get Drew, Dice K, Scutaro, and potentially Papi all off the books so they can still add another bat of some substance. Not a chance they spend big $$ on a guy to plug in at DH though

I'd buy Bobby Abreu to come in and DH if the Angels don't pick up his option as they don't need pop - just someone that can get on base and work counts. I'd also take a long look at Josh Willingham to come in as a DH as he would be a perfect fit for that park.

Comment

Working...
          X