How does Casilla get a save?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does Casilla get a save?

Sunday's game......6-2 Giants starting the 9th. Romo gives up a HR making it 6-3. Lopez comes in and gets the first out. Casilla enters with bases empty and gives up a single and then gets a DP to end the game. I thought a pitcher could not create his own save opportunity, but he was credited with a save.

What am I missing here?
    Last edited by harmon; 06-29-2015, 09:11 AM.

I gotta admit, I thought the rule was 3 runs, with no limit on IP; however from mlb.com it appears that you are correct, he should not have gotten a save ... :

Saves:
    Rule 10.20 in the Official Rule Book states:
    Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions:
    (1) He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his club; and
    (2) He is not the winning pitcher; and
    (3) He qualifies under one of the following conditions:
    - (a) He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning; or
    - (b) He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, or at bat, or on deck (that is, the potential tying run is either already on base or is one of the first two batsmen he faces; or
    - (c) He pitches effectively for at least three innings. No more than one save may be credited in each game.
    It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

It's not a save and it will likely be overturned.
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

I checked the play by play.

That is definitely not a save; tying run would have to be on deck but it was 6-3 with no one on base.

Now, you can come in with bags loaded, 2 outs with a 6-1 lead, then give up a grand slam, a double and two walks before picking a runner off to end the game - and THAT'S a save (!).

but this is not.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
          Now, you can come in with bags loaded, 2 outs with a 6-1 lead, then give up a grand slam, a double and two walks before picking a runner off to end the game - and THAT'S a save (!).
          So now we know how Jose Mesa amassed so many saves.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            So now we know how Jose Mesa amassed so many saves.
            Joe Table? I thought it was because he pitched for such great Phillies teams?

Comment

Mesa held the Phillies saves record until very recently when Papelbon passed him. Yes, Mesa had more saves for the Phils than Jim Konstanty, Gene Garber, Tug McGraw, Al Holland, Steve Bedrosian, Mitch Williams, Billy Wagner and Brad Lidge.

Comment

Looks like the save has now been reversed. I dont recall ever seeing this before.

Comment

Originally posted by harmon View Post
                  Looks like the save has now been reversed. I dont recall ever seeing this before.
                  Brain fart by the official scorer, most likely.

Comment

might have been a writer filling in for someone on vacation
                    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                    X