"Overpaying" for Correa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Overpaying" for Correa?

In our 5x5 AL-only, I am considering a big deal to acquire Carlos Correa. Correa is $8 year 1. I am considering giving up Josh Donaldson $17 (2016 final year of contract), Marcus Semien $6 (2016 is option year and I don't envision extending), and small non-keeper pieces. Is that too much or would you jump on it?

We keep 7 and I would be light on keepers. But I have Aaron Judge and Tim Anderson coming, and I imagine they will both be up this year at some point. With Semien and Anderson, I don't need a SS (Correa). But I'm not 100% sold on Semien (even though he would qualify at SS next year). And maybe Donaldson or Semien ends up in NL for some reason.

Thanks, ElD. That was kinda my thinking. Not sure I can swing it, but plan to try. Would consider sweetening further.

Comment

Yeah, I'm with Eld on this one, but I may be biased by playing in a 14 team mixed league (although it is a deep 14 team league, 30 man rosters, extra hitter and pitcher slots). In a league our size, you almost always win by getting the best player in the deal. I'm sure the math is a lot different in an only league, but I can't imagine you regretting a deal where you get Correa at that price, in any league. Giving up Donaldson hurts, but Semien is not a player I would hate to lose. Heck, with his error rate, I don't know if he keeps his job long term.

Comment

Would you include Roberto Osuna $10 (year 1) or Sonny Gray $17 (final year next year)? Gray seems too much to include after Donaldson and Semien, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
          Would you include Roberto Osuna $10 (year 1) or Sonny Gray $17 (final year next year)? Gray seems too much to include after Donaldson and Semien, no?
          Osuna, yes, no question. He is my favorite in that bullpen, but I've learned long ago, RPs are not good keepers. A speculative closer at $10 is not huge keeper loss. Figure out where to find saves in season, or go with an elite sure thing. Middle tier closers, especially ones on shaky ground...I'd rather spend my 7 keeper slots elsewhere.

Gray, I don't know--him and Donaldson is an awful lot. I'd try to get away with giving Donaldson, Semien, and Osuna. If he wants Gray, I'd ask for something decent back to even it out. You don't want to get drunk on the new car smell of Correa and forget how good Donaldson and Gray are.

Comment

How long can you keep Correa?

Comment

A long time. Would be $8 next year, then option year 2017 (so final year 2017 or extended for $5 per extra year; so 2017-2018 at $13 or 2017-2019 at $18).

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
                Osuna yes, Gray no way.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Bump.

So Sharky - what ever became of this deal? Just curious, because I have Correa and was getting a few offers before he got called up, but resisted the temptation to trade him.
                  "Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes." Oscar Wilde
                  "The best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Gandhi
                  WRL (AL-only) Champion (league started in 1997) - 1997, '98, 2000, '03, '08, '15, '16, '17
                  PVRL (NL-only) Champion (league started in 1986)- 1993, 2004, '05, '06, '10, '11, '14, '16, '17

Comment

Originally posted by kawaise View Post
                    Bump.

So Sharky - what ever became of this deal? Just curious, because I have Correa and was getting a few offers before he got called up, but resisted the temptation to trade him.
                    Hey kawaise, he decided not to trade me Correa for any price. So unfortunately I missed out. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                    X