Randall Grichuk 2016?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randall Grichuk 2016?

What do you all think about Randall Grichuk for 2016 (or for ROS 2015)? I have him for a buck in our NL only and am considering dealing him. I wouldn't lose sleep over it, but he's currently a full-time guy with some power. Any real keeper value for next year?

I like him a lot - Heyward is a FA at the end of the year, even if they re-sign him, I'm doubting John Jay will start in front of him.

A buck in a NL league? That looks very valuable to me.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      I like him a lot - Heyward is a FA at the end of the year, even if they re-sign him, I'm doubting John Jay will start in front of him.

Thanks, chancellor. Trying to find a trade chip I can use to pick up boring players for counting stats. Maybe not Grichuk then.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

Yeah, I agree.

Comment

I asked about him in the St. Louis thread. No St. Louis fans chimed in to give him their seal of approval, although they said his D was good enough for him to keep a full time job.

I have him too, and I like what I've seen from him. His true power hasn't fully showed itself in the majors, but you can see it in his swing. I think he is good enough at the plate to keep a full time job, and I think he can be a 20+ home run guy.

The one thing I really don't like about his game is his lack of walks. He doesn't have such elite contact skills that refusing to walk won't hurt him eventually. I worry about the slumps with his approach0 6 walks and 41 Ks in 128 abs doesn't inspire confidence that he will reach his full potential.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
            I asked about him in the St. Louis thread. No St. Louis fans chimed in to give him their seal of approval, although they said his D was good enough for him to keep a full time job.

I have him too, and I like what I've seen from him. His true power hasn't fully showed itself in the majors, but you can see it in his swing. I think he is good enough at the plate to keep a full time job, and I think he can be a 20+ home run guy.

The one thing I really don't like about his game is his lack of walks. He doesn't have such elite contact skills that refusing to walk won't hurt him eventually. I worry about the slumps with his approach0 6 walks and 41 Ks in 128 abs doesn't inspire confidence that he will reach his full potential.
            I've got my doubts about him as well, especially due to that K:BB. He's definitely a nice piece at $1 but not someone I would look to lock up long-term or anything. If you can get a great haul for him then go for it because he could go the way of Jeff Francoeur sooner rather than later if he doesn't sharpen that batting eye.

Comment

Despite his approach, Grichuk continues to hit. He's been great for me the last couple of weeks filling in for Pence. As I said above, I know his approach will lead to slumps, but I am enjoying the ride, and I hope he can stay hot long enough to establish himself worthy of full time work in CF once Holliday is back in a couple of weeks.
              Last edited by Sour Masher; 07-01-2015, 12:40 AM.

Comment

he strikes out too much and is weak against lefties. if someone wants to buy high, I'd sell, but he's pretty good already.
                finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Cardinals fan here; I follow them pretty closely and sorry, I'm completely stumped as to what his role will be in 2016.

The Cardinals are fairly analytics-driven; they aren't fooled by the .284 BA to date. But 24 XBH in 148 AB is as amazing as his 47 strikeouts.

For the 2016 outfield, Holliday is the only sure thing. While Heyward is likely gone, a top prospect Stephen Piscotty should be ready next year. Piscotty is old (24) so I can't imagine they'll have him spend much of 2016 in AAA. Jon Jay is signed through 2016. Peter Bourjos arbitration and shouldn't be that expensive. This makes for a fairly crowded outfield (Holliday/Piscotty/Jay/Bourjos/Grichuk), even if the Cardinals don't re-sign Heyward or sign a free agent outfielder.

Will they sign a FA outfielder (or re-sign Heyward)? They likely can afford either an outfielder or a good starting pitcher, but not both.

Best guess, but just a guess? The Cardinals spend the money on a SP instead of an OF, and hope someone develops further in the OF. Grichuk isn't a clear 2016 starting outfielder, but competes with Piscotty, Jay, and Bourjos to get AB at RF/CF and ends up with 375 AB.

Comment

A monster game tonight. A shame I didn't start him. I don't know how he does it, but he is still hitting over .280 even though he has 5 times as many Ks as BBs. His power is legit though. If he keeps hitting like this, I think the Cards have to find a way for him to keep playing.

And if you are desperate for more encouragement, he does have a BB in each of his last 3 games, after only managing 10 in his first 58 games, so MAYBE he is starting to be a tiny more selective. SSS be damned, I like the kid!

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                      A monster game tonight. A shame I didn't start him. I don't know how he does it, but he is still hitting over .280 even though he has 5 times as many Ks as BBs. His power is legit though. If he keeps hitting like this, I think the Cards have to find a way for him to keep playing.

And if you are desperate for more encouragement, he does have a BB in each of his last 3 games, after only managing 10 in his first 58 games, so MAYBE he is starting to be a tiny more selective. SSS be damned, I like the kid!
                      I've been watching him a fair bit on mlb.tv the past few weeks. He's interesting to watch - he has a very quiet approach at the plate - no extra movement, his whole body is quiet until the swing. I don't know if that means a whole hill of beans or not but it isn't what I'd expect from a guy with as you say, 5 times the Ks as BBs. I'm still holding, I think there's a chance he's a bit of a statistical anomaly.
                      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Working...
                      X