James Shields?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• James Shields?

What's up with James Shields? At first it seemed like a hit rate anomaly (or gopheritis). Now I'm less sure. Could it be suckitude? Frustrated Shields owner appreciates your insights.

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
    What's up with James Shields? At first it seemed like a hit rate anomaly (or gopheritis). Now I'm less sure. Could it be suckitude? Frustrated Shields owner appreciates your insights.
    He started off really hot, so some regression was to be expected, especially in the K rate. I think it is fair to expect a final stat line in the range of where his overall stats are right now, except for a lower K rate.

Comment

Dunno. An ERA that higher than 3.60? Not what I would have projected, especially in Petco.

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
        Dunno. An ERA that higher than 3.60? Not what I would have projected, especially in Petco.
        In Petco, but with a really bad defense behind him. An ERA in the 3.50-3.80 range seems right to me.

Anyway, It is hard to be too mad about his era being a little higher than expected with that surprising good K rate, right? Overall, I'd say he is having a good year. If I had him, I wouldn't be disappointed. Signed, frustrated Gio Gonzalez, Ian Kennedy, and Anibal Sanchez owner.

BTW, I made a deal earlier in the year where I could have had Shields for a little more, or Gio. I chose to take Gio rather than give the extra prospect. I regret that greatly now. I'd give 3 gios for a Shields right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          In Petco, but with a really bad defense behind him. An ERA in the 3.50-3.80 range seems right to me.

Anyway, It is hard to be too mad about his era being a little higher than expected with that surprising good K rate, right? Overall, I'd say he is having a good year. If I had him, I wouldn't be disappointed. Signed, frustrated Gio Gonzalez, Ian Kennedy, and Anibal Sanchez owner.

BTW, I made a deal earlier in the year where I could have had Shields for a little more, or Gio. I chose to take Gio rather than give the extra prospect. I regret that greatly now. I'd give 3 gios for a Shields right now.
          I have Kennedy too. Between Kennedy and Shields, I'm not sure if defense is the issue. Seems to me that giving up HR has little to do with the defense behind you.

Comment

With pretty much all the Padres' SPs struggling you would have to think it would be a combination of poor defense and a poor receiving catcher. I don't know how else to explain all five of their starters underachieving.

Comment

I heard someone say that they built some new buildings downtown that dramatically changed how the wind blows into Petco.

I also heard someone say that the marine layer that suppresses offense is more of a post all-star break thing than an early season thing.

So who knows?

Comment

It's a combination of everything. petco has payed more towards equal this season, it could be that the drought has keep the marine layer out, it could be that new construction has changed wind patterns, it could even be pitch framing, but mostly it's that Padre pitches feel the need to strike everyone out due to the bad D behind them. Every starters K/9 is up this year and so are their HR/9 the defense behind them, thogh league avg in errors, leads MLB in Unearned runs. They let down after a mistake and have on many occasions made more than one error or mental gaffe in the same inning compounding the issue.

I have no idea how or when this will change, but if they don't make a move to replace SS and 2b with a solid to great glove, they'll remain inconsistent.
                Last edited by GwynnInTheHall; 06-26-2015, 11:51 AM.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

The game I went to a couple of weeks ago (Dodgers), while he only gave up one run, the hits he gave up were drilled. He was in trouble more innings than not. A double play and Kemp throwing someone out at the plate helped a lot.

Comment

Working...
                  X