The Schwarber Power Lovefest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Schwarber Power Lovefest

I need to decide if I want to burn my #1 waiver claim and grab this kid knowing full well he is going back to AAA. The question is for how long? He would be so dynamic in this format with all the extra base power and "C" eligibility.

Would you be willing to eat a roster spot for this kid in a daily league?

Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Theo and Jed basically said he'll be the next man up in case of injury, once he goes back down. Presumably ahead of Alcantara and Baez. I'm still not sure it's enough but maybe that helps inform your decision.

Comment

After this week, it seems to me that Schwarber will not be back up in the majors before September 1 unless a long term catcher injury occurs or that the organization has decided to make him a full time outfielder. Both seem unlikely at this point, but you never know. He isn't going to be refining his catching skills if he is stuck in a 3 man platoon at the position. I don't know if I would plan on him playing in the majors regularly until early 2016 (when there might be a little less concern about keeping Lester happy, allowing them to move David Ross during his final contract year).

If you can keep a few players for next year and are not expecting your team to contend this season, I would burn the waiver slot. If not, I am not sure it is worth it for possibly only a few days of use immediately and occasional games in September.

This is coming from someone that has been sitting on Schwarber in a dynasty league since this past February.

Comment

Thanks guys. I have been waiting on this kid in this format all year. I finally got the #1 claim when Buxton came up. I don't think I can use it based on this thread but I hope there is some other power bat waiting. If not, it might just be used on Corey Seager.

Comment

Yeah, barring injury that clears a spot for him, Schwarber will only be up in September. Although, I suppose there is a chance that if the Cubbies appear to be totally out of it by mid-July, they may make a move to open a spot for him. Eventually, they will have to find spots for all of these minor league hot shots. Maybe they start early with Schwarber. Maybe.

Comment

Schwarber optioned to AAA after Sunday's game.
            “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Made a speculative pickup of Schwarber today. Montero's finger is messed up so maybe, just maybe he gets an early call.

Comment

Originally posted by DJBeasties View Post
                Made a speculative pickup of Schwarber today. Montero's finger is messed up so maybe, just maybe he gets an early call.
                Not a bad risk (assuming you can undo it if need be).

Comment

Agree with Sharky on this. I don't think the odds are great, but if you're not giving up much to get him, go for it.
                  I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

For what it is worth from Bleacher Nation:

If he does miss a long stretch, I think you’ll see the Cubs going with David Ross and Taylor Teagarden for a while, rather than bringing up Kyle Schwarber. That’s just my guess, mind you, but when you watch Schwarber behind the plate at Iowa, the best way you could describe the glove is “not ready.” If he were to come up right now, I would have concerns about the Cubs’ pitchers being able to execute what they want, I would have concerns about the baserunning game, and I would have concerns about Schwarber’s progress as a developing catcher being interrupted and impacted long-term. The bat … well, I imagine it would help the Cubs. And maybe it would help enough to offset those other concerns. I just don’t think it’s going to happen quite yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      For what it is worth from Bleacher Nation:

If he does miss a long stretch, I think you’ll see the Cubs going with David Ross and Taylor Teagarden for a while, rather than bringing up Kyle Schwarber. That’s just my guess, mind you, but when you watch Schwarber behind the plate at Iowa, the best way you could describe the glove is “not ready.” If he were to come up right now, I would have concerns about the Cubs’ pitchers being able to execute what they want, I would have concerns about the baserunning game, and I would have concerns about Schwarber’s progress as a developing catcher being interrupted and impacted long-term. The bat … well, I imagine it would help the Cubs. And maybe it would help enough to offset those other concerns. I just don’t think it’s going to happen quite yet.

Good input, thanks a lot. I'll hold him until Friday and just see. All I had to do was burn a roster spot I use for streaming so worst case, I'll dump Schwarber and return that spot to its previous use.

Comment

Working...
                      X