Is this a fair trade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this a fair trade?

In my local league, the team that has finished last for two straight years just made the following trade with last years champion.

Champ gets:
    Pujols $69
    Figgins $16
    Chapman $8

Last place team gets:
    Youkilis $18 (final year-can't be kept)
    Pagan $6
    Gio Gonzalez $6

Some of the others in my league think this trade is BS. Especially since it is only the second week of the season. I'm leaning that way also. What do you think?
    “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Take Figgins out and it's pretty equal. Figgins is a lot to give away in a trade though. I know why the last place team in last. Can you veto trades due to stupidity? I'd look to replace the last place owner.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

If last place guy consistently makes bad trades with many people, probably not much you can do. If last place guy just makes this type of trade with champion guy, call them out, take a league vote to veto the trade, issue warning. If it doesn't quite kick last place guy out of league. This type of trade is very bad for the health of any league.

Comment

Ask the Pujols donor to explain his rationale. Politely.
        finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
        own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
        won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
        RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
        C Stallings 2, Casali 1
        1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
        OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Yeah, that's a good example of why the last place team is a last place team.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            Ask the Pujols donor to explain his rationale. Politely.
            I am in this league. The owner in question has made questionable trades almost every year..with different owners..absolutely no collusion. none...

Last place owner called me after the deal was made and explained his rationale. He was going to drop Figgins right before the trade and Chapman is pretty useless in our league setup..so he would have been dropped too. So the last place owner feels he traded Pujols for three quality players and made his team better. I did tell him he should have shopped Pujols, but HE offered the deal so he got what he wanted. He also told me that every other year when he made it known that a star player was available all he got was crap offers, so he made the deal he wanted.

BTW, this last place owner is the only other owner besides me who has been in the league every year since it began. Poor sap has never even been in the money..he enjoys the league but doesn't have that " I have to win mentality".
            "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Well, based on all that, odd that everyone else just sat back and watched.

You guys are playing with a fox and a hen. Get rid of one, both - or decide from now on which one you want to be. So far, the rest of you sound like hens (says a guy who would want this addressed, or leave).
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                I am in this league. The owner in question has made questionable trades almost every year..with different owners..absolutely no collusion. none...

Last place owner called me after the deal was made and explained his rationale. He was going to drop Figgins right before the trade and Chapman is pretty useless in our league setup..so he would have been dropped too. So the last place owner feels he traded Pujols for three quality players and made his team better. I did tell him he should have shopped Pujols, but HE offered the deal so he got what he wanted. He also told me that every other year when he made it known that a star player was available all he got was crap offers, so he made the deal he wanted.

BTW, this last place owner is the only other owner besides me who has been in the league every year since it began. Poor sap has never even been in the money..he enjoys the league but doesn't have that " I have to win mentality".
                What league setup makes Chapman useless? And Figgins too? Or does this guy just think they're useless because he's not too smart?

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  What league setup makes Chapman useless? And Figgins too? Or does this guy just think they're useless because he's not too smart?
                  11 team mixed... Chapman gets no saves..little wins..helps a bit in ERA and WHIP. Middle relievers aren't that valuable in 11 team mixed...

Figgins is ok..never really saw value in him for this year...
                  "I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth."

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    Well, based on all that, odd that everyone else just sat back and watched.

You guys are playing with a fox and a hen. Get rid of one, both - or decide from now on which one you want to be. So far, the rest of you sound like hens (says a guy who would want this addressed, or leave).
                    Don't get me wrong..the owner should have made a better deal, but the deal doesn't really bother me.

This league is really competitive except for said owner..7 different winners in the last 7 years. How many other leagues can claim that kind of competitiveness? And the guy that won last year (got Pujols in the deal) hadn't ever won the league before.

Comment

Originally posted by Mithrandir View Post
                      11 team mixed... Chapman gets no saves..little wins..helps a bit in ERA and WHIP. Middle relievers aren't that valuable in 11 team mixed...

Figgins is ok..never really saw value in him for this year...
                      Unfortunately, if it's an 11-team mixed that also devalues Pagan and Gio. So he got a downgrade at 1B (also eligible at 3B I guess) and 2 marginal starters in exchange for Pujols ... and I would argue that Figgins is on par with Pagan/Gio as a starter at 2B. And if Chapman is $8 he could be a keeper - not someone the last place team should deal away - and it's not like anything changed since March so paying $8 for a useless player just shows his lack of awareness

Comment

Working...
                      X