Will Scutaro Lose His Job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will Scutaro Lose His Job?

Scutaro was just dropped in my league. I have Lowrie and could drop him for Scutaro, and I'm wondering who is the better bet from here on out. Will Lowrie end up with more playing time and production, or will Scutaro?

I own Lowrie and believe that he will earn more roto value than Scutaro over the course of the season. As an added bonus, in my league, at least, he qualifies at 4 different positions. And he should qualify at at least two positions in other leagues.

Comment

Lowrie gets the job by July 1st

Scutaro really looks old right now at the plate

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
        I think he'll be fine and that Lowrie will be a backup the whole year. In the spirit of full disclosure, I am a Scutaro owner.
        Ditto, and what he said. Scutaro isn't going anywhere (although I've not seen more than a few ABs with my own eyes). Barring injury he gets his 500+ ABs while Lowrie remains a super sub with plenty of value of his own. Is there is any other MR or low-end player you can drop? As the Scutaro owner in my league I'm content (it is still April) but would pay plenty to nab Lowrie if he popped up on our wire.

Comment

This Lowrie owner hopes he'll seize the SS job, but frankly, if he's a "super sub" (quotation marks because most "super sub" guys should be called "super suck"), he should still be a fine asset. He may be a Ryan Freel type in that he's fine in moderate doses, exposed as a full-timer.
          Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
          -- William James

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
            This Lowrie owner hopes he'll seize the SS job, but frankly, if he's a "super sub" (quotation marks because most "super sub" guys should be called "super suck"), he should still be a fine asset. He may be a Ryan Freel type in that he's fine in moderate doses, exposed as a full-timer.
            Lowrie was a hot property three years ago, when he had a major injury. He would not be the first guy that took two years to work abck into shape.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

From what I've seen, Lowrie looks great at the plate. I wonder what Boston will do if Lowrie continues to hit and maybe even plays more SS than Scutaro this year. They have a great fielding minor leaguer in Iglesias. It would be hard to keep him in the minors for much longer. I guess they would let Scutaro go next year, bring up Iglesias, and keep Lowrie as a super sub. Although if Lowrie can play decent D, it would be a real benefit for a guy with his bat being the every day SS.

Comment

Lowrie in the starting lineup at SS again today. I get the feeling he is going to be in the starting lineup against all left handers for the forseeable future whether it's at SS or DH.

Comment

Originally posted by NIN View Post
                  Lowrie in the starting lineup at SS again today. I get the feeling he is going to be in the starting lineup against all left handers for the forseeable future whether it's at SS or DH.
                  And he is 3 for 3 with a HR and 4 RBI.

Comment

Didn't we have him as a sleeper candidate for this year and moving forward?

Comment

I know he is a super sub and all, but the way he is hitting, I don't know why Boston wouldn't just stick him in as the everyday SS and ride him until he cools down. He is raking and they desperately need the bat.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
                        I know he is a super sub and all, but the way he is hitting, I don't know why Boston wouldn't just stick him in as the everyday SS and ride him until he cools down. He is raking and they desperately need the bat.
                        What people may be forgetting is that Scutaro, at age 36, is one leg out the door. If he looses his starting job, it will likely be because he is perceived to have no value left. His manager may be avoiding the decision, because he now has two players, rather than one. However, Scutaro's play, as well as Lowrie's, is going to force his hand.

J
                        Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Seems to me the writing is on the wall for this year. I suspect Lowrie will get almost FT AB's, with Scutaro playing when he gets a break, or he's playing somewhere else giving Youk, Pedroia or AGonz a day off---or a day at DH with Papi on the bench.
                          My question is 2012. Is Iglesias ready then? He's only 21 and they have him signed through 2013, I would think they want to get him to the majors ASAP---however if Lowrie is playing well they have options. Looking at contracts, outside of Scutaro, the only starters whose contracts are up at the end of the year are JD Drew, Papi and Salty. Unfortunately, there are no big catchers on the FA market that I can see.
                          Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!

Comment

2 for 3 in the 6th inning..and a dinger! Woo hoo!

Comment

Marco who?
                              After former Broncos quarterback Brian Griese sprained his ankle and said he was tripped on the stairs of his home by his golden retriever, Bella: “The dog stood up on his hind legs and gave him a push? You might want to get rid of that dog, or put him in the circus, one of the two.”

Comment

Working...
                              X