OF - Bautista, Gardner, Marisnick, Pence
    UT - Paredes
    UT - C. Young
    Bench - Kang, Plouffe, Vargas
    DL - Saunders

SP - Kershaw, Arrieta, Carrasco, Sale, Volquez, Chavez, Happ
    RP - Cishek, Grilli, Y. Garcia
    DL- Parnell

I am sitting in 5th place with 75 points. Offense has been solid as I have 46.5 points. Where I am getting killed is ERA (last place) and WHIP (12th place).

How does my team look? Should I make any changes or hope the underachievers, (Kershaw, Sale, Joey Bats, LaRoche, Cishek) pick it up?

I would like another closer, but that will probably be tough to trade for.
    I know I am a bit light on power too.
    Thanks!

Yeah, I think Carrasco/Kershaw/Sale will turn it aruond, Arrieta will be good, but I'd be worried about the back end of your rotation falling apart and undoing all the good they do. Laroche may not come around that much but I have faith in Joey Bats. And even for LaRoche, the Chisox have played in awful weather the first month and he's a slow starter anyway. I wouldn't give up hope, it's just that his age scares me a bit. I'd be looking to back up Cishek with Ramos or Dunn, though, because he's not long for the job and looks awful.

Comment

I agree with JC. One trap many fantasy players fall into is using a large amount of assets on top pitchers but neglecting the back end, which negates much of the work they do. While your pitching studs may turn it around soon, Volquez & Happ could derail any efforts. I also agree that Cishek may lose his job soon.

You'd also need to shore up your UT spots after the inevitable decline of Paredes and Young, but otherwise, I think your team is very solid.

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        I agree with JC. One trap many fantasy players fall into is using a large amount of assets on top pitchers but neglecting the back end, which negates much of the work they do. While your pitching studs may turn it around soon, Volquez & Happ could derail any efforts. I also agree that Cishek may lose his job soon.

You'd also need to shore up your UT spots after the inevitable decline of Paredes and Young, but otherwise, I think your team is very solid.
        Thanks guys.

The best SP's available are Chris Young, Kyle Lohse, Pelfrey, Colby Lewis, Collmenter, Heston. So it's not like I can pick up anyone noticeably better than those SP you mentioned as being weak links.

No team has 6-7 solid starters. Pretty much every team has weak SP 6-7 in the league.

Comment

Originally posted by Hobbesmonkey View Post
          Thanks guys.

The best SP's available are Chris Young, Kyle Lohse, Pelfrey, Colby Lewis, Collmenter, Heston. So it's not like I can pick up anyone noticeably better than those SP you mentioned as being weak links.

No team has 6-7 solid starters. Pretty much every team has weak SP 6-7 in the league.
          Teams with Kershaw/Sale/Carrasco/Arrieta might be able to carry an extra MR and only have 5 starters. I'm not sure but it's just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
            Teams with Kershaw/Sale/Carrasco/Arrieta might be able to carry an extra MR and only have 5 starters. I'm not sure but it's just a thought.
            I have toyed with that idea. I have Yimi Garcia and keep looking for another solid MR (or two) to pair with him.

Comment

I think your underachievers will come on strong. Kershaw is 2+ runs over his expected ERA at this point.

In don't think you need a third closer in a 14-team 5x5, but I think you would be hurting yourself too much in Wins and Ks to go with 4 or 5 relievers. Three is probably optimal in your situation, but how do you avoid crappy 5th, 6th, or 7th starters? I would leave your big four in all the time. For the remainder of your starters, I would have guys who are consistent, but not great, and then play matchups with them. Consistency means they will likely get pounded by strong offenses, but they might stymie bad offenses. Inconsistent pitchers might be great one night against a superb offense, but then stink against a bad offense. Just look ahead and see which of your guys to start along with your four studs. You can get a great outing from Colby Lewis against the right team.

So, this might mean dropping one or two of your current pitchers and picking up two or three new ones, who fit the matchup profile. All of this assumes you have at least weekly transactions.

Otherwise, I think it looks like a super team. Did you get Vogt as a 1B and convert him when he played enough games? Of your bench, I really believe Vargas is going to heat up as the year goes along. I expect 20+ bombs.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                I think your underachievers will come on strong. Kershaw is 2+ runs over his expected ERA at this point.

In don't think you need a third closer in a 14-team 5x5, but I think you would be hurting yourself too much in Wins and Ks to go with 4 or 5 relievers. Three is probably optimal in your situation, but how do you avoid crappy 5th, 6th, or 7th starters? I would leave your big four in all the time. For the remainder of your starters, I would have guys who are consistent, but not great, and then play matchups with them. Consistency means they will likely get pounded by strong offenses, but they might stymie bad offenses. Inconsistent pitchers might be great one night against a superb offense, but then stink against a bad offense. Just look ahead and see which of your guys to start along with your four studs. You can get a great outing from Colby Lewis against the right team.

So, this might mean dropping one or two of your current pitchers and picking up two or three new ones, who fit the matchup profile. All of this assumes you have at least weekly transactions.

Otherwise, I think it looks like a super team. Did you get Vogt as a 1B and convert him when he played enough games? Of your bench, I really believe Vargas is going to heat up as the year goes along. I expect 20+ bombs.
                Thanks so much for the insight! I have daily transactions but limited to 50 per season so I can't go hog wild picking up and dropping SP's.

I got Vogt at the end game of my auction for $1 and he was catcher eligible to start the season.

I like my team and think it is good enough to at least make a run at a title, but wanted some other viewpoints.

Comment

Yeah, I was talking more like having four starters in addition to your four studly starters, assuming you have roster room, and then swapping them in and out as the matchups dictate.

Vogt is working out great for you, especially since you're a single catcher league. I haven't seen the other teams, obviously, but yours looks really good.

Comment

Working...
                  X