Pitch Count Question for Veterans Pitchers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitch Count Question for Veterans Pitchers

I was torn tonight watching Haren's gem. On the one hand, I loved him being his typical dominant pre-allstar self. On the other hand, after he was up to 115 in the 8th inning, I didn't think he'd go out in the 9th. He managed to get through the 9th with just 10 pitches, ending with 125. That is pushing it a bit on my worry meter. I loved the CGSHO, but I worry about pitch counts over 120 for even veteran pitchers. I know every case is different at the most important thing is that mechanics don't break down with fatigue, but that is hard to track in the moment with adrenaline pumping late in the game, so I don't know if even a vet should be trusted past a certain point.

So, when do you start worrying about potential long term negative impact for one of your veteran pitchers?
    I start to worry after 115 pitches
    0%
    I start to worry after 120 pitches
    0%
    I start to worry after 125 pitches
    0%
    I start to worry after 130 pitches
    0%
    I start to worry after 135 pitches
    0%
    I don't worry...a veteran knows when to stop
    0%

I didn't see the game, but if he didn't look gassed and he was still succeeding with his pitches, it's not really much of a concern for a vet like Haren for me. I like it when teams give guys the extra day off after performances like this, though. Either that or make sure you don't let him get too high up in the next outing. But one start really isn't a big deal. It's when managers string three or four starts together with a high pitch load that I start to worry.

Comment

I worry more about high-stress pitches... if he's not putting runners on base I'm not too worried. If he's putting 2 runners on every inning and constantly working out of jams from the stretch, then even 110 can be a lot.

Comment

Working...
      X