LV Draft HDID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LV Draft HDID

21 year AL only 4x4 league with the college buddies. 9 teams. Draft date 4/10. Finished 3rd in '14.
    Draft has taken place in Vegas at the Mandalay sports book for the past 16 years.
    (If you're there - ask for Natalie - she's the best and has been serving our draft for at least 9 years. Tell her that her boys from Michigan State sent you.)
    This draft features endless buckets of premium beer and glasses of Maker's Mark & Wild Turkey, and invariably takes some unusual twists and turns. Endgame can be extremely fruitful for the patient.
    Just got in from the red eye this morning, threw my liver in the dryer, and took a nap. Still a little groggy.
    I figured I'd share, since my quick-and-dirty post draft analysis of the league performed on a scratch pad in McCarran Airport at 3AM has me winning by a wide margin.

* designates keeper

C - Zunino* 4
    C - Gattis 21 (that 0-fer start knocked down his price a bit)
    1 - Cabrera $40 (seemed like a steal after EE/J.Bats each went for 41 a round later)
    3 - Castellanos* 5
    CI - C.Davis 26
    2 - Kipnis 31 (late in draft, bid up by only other owner with a lot of money. Amazingly, I passed on Cano for $28 in the first round. Paying for JK's steals were a necessary evil)
    S - Bogaerts* 8
    MI - E.Cabrera 3 (purchased to fill one stat cat only)
    DH - S.Victorino 2 (wanted no part of this dude, but at 2, wtf??)
    OF - Ellsbury* 31
    OF - Springer* 10
    OF - JD Mart* 10
    OF - Eaton* 9
    OF - Pearce* 7

Might be the most loaded offense I've ever constructed.

P - Carrasco* 5
    P - Hughes* 3
    P - Samardzija 29 (acquired immediately post draft for $2 Darvish, request from a bottom feeder)
    P - Hutchison 3
    P - Gausman 1
    P - Stroman 2 (reserved post draft for Volquez)
    P - McGee* 2
    P - Robertson* 8
    P - Holland* 11

I actually left $15 on the table, in preparation of getting some of my cheap pitching targets that wound up being relatively uncontested. I'm gonna lose the two big closers and Ellsbury after this year, but I came into the draft loaded and I feel like this team is set to compete for at least 2 years. Possibly 3.

Bear in mind - it is a NINE team league, but that doesnt completely change the parameters.

Am I overestimating, or am I right to be giddy??

A smattering of odd draft choices, in retrospect:
    A. Craig - 17
    Verlander - 15
    Cano - 27 ; HanRam - 35
    CJ Wilson - 17
    M. Castro - 16
    B. Cecil - 14
    T. Walker - 12
    S. Greene - 12
    D. Travis - 14
    J. Weaver - 21
    (I always like reviewing other league's notable draft choices)
    One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

You didn't stop by for a drink so I'm not going to rate your team...................

That and I suck at it!
    If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
    Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Agreed - loaded team. Offense is terrific. Really nice rotation, as well. I'd try to grab another closer to bolster saves - keep your foot on their collective throats. Someone like Casey Fien might not be owned. Joe Smith probably is.

Still, this will be a fun team to ride.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

I really like it. Not a Kipnis guy at all but the Shark trade really helps you. Maybe a little too high on potential and a little too low in actual production for a staff in a 9-team AL league, but the 2 closers should anchor your ratios a bit and help with Ks.

Comment

Good stuff. You're definitely a contender, especially if Shamalamadingdong gets his act together.

Tell her that her boys from Michigan State sent you.
          Uh oh, better keep you and Umjewman out of the same room.
          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
            You didn't stop by for a drink so I'm not going to rate your team...................
            Stop by.... where???

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Jeffers 5 JRamirez 39 Vaughn 16 WFranco 15 Semien 26 Lowe 5 Rengifo 6 R Lewis 10 Alvarez 39 Carpenter 10 P Lopez 6 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10

Comment

Originally posted by cool hand View Post
              Stop by.... where???
              LOL I live in Vegas! Plenty fo places to stop by!! See you next year.....
              If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
              Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Here I thought you were in Mexico.
                Stop by next year! Mandalay sports book - Friday after opening day at noon.
                Look for the guy in the "East Lansing Riots" t shirt!

Current Lineup:

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
                  I really like it. Not a Kipnis guy at all but the Shark trade really helps you. Maybe a little too high on potential and a little too low in actual production for a staff in a 9-team AL league, but the 2 closers should anchor your ratios a bit and help with Ks.
                  I agree with all counts of this. Kipnis was a necessity in order to get SBs & solid production out of MI slot - total overpay at an odd time of the draft. I think the combo of Holland/Robertson/McGee should combine to form an elite level SP ratios, with sub elite IP.

The Shark thing fell into my lap - kinda funny. I had him on my valuation spreadsheet as not being kept. A pure clerical error. No way did I think anyone would keep him for $29, but I forgot that cutting him would have been accompanied by a stiff financial penalty. I'd been saving money for him til late in the draft, wondering why noone had brought him up yet, when the mistake dawned on me. I happened to be sitting next to the guy that owned him, told him about it, and he asked if I wanted to deal. I could have been hurting for another proven anchor at that point had this not occurred.

Current Lineup:

Comment

It took me 20 weeks to finally overtake 1st place; should be a wild ride to the finish.
                    Only 14 of my 23 draft day starters remain, and that's with zero trades. YCPB.
                    Great season - only 20pts separating 1st place from last. Last place is only 10pts out of the money, with all stat cats jumbled and dynamic.
                    We've never had a season where only one team has decided to dump this late into the year (and he was in 4th place two weeks ago!)

Hope everybody's year is this much fun!!

Current Lineup:

Comment

that's impressive that you made it to first without trading. your pitching as of draft day has performed horribly.
                      In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
                      X