Judge Jude's annual "Anatomy of an Auction"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Judge Jude's annual "Anatomy of an Auction"

When I started doing this exercise more than a decade ago, we tended to have our auction early in the cycle and there were a lot more relative newcomers to the game - so it was intended to help explain how I approach this process since I began in 1984.

This is a late auction, and the site is filled with veterans who don't need any help from me. But I do tend to be willing to "paint outside the lines" - sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't. And this was no walk in the park today.

32nd-year league, last new owners arrived in 2002. half the owners go back to the 1980s and two of us to the beginning. owner ages range from about 47 to 73, median close to 60. for many, this is the only fantasy league they play in. No owner had missed this in-person auction in more than a decade, but the Easter delay caused havoc - so we had three substitutes. That created unique challenges as we didn't know their rhythms at all.

I walked in with these keepers:

10 for 106

SP Zack Greinke 25-S1

SP Mike Leake 1-O

RP K-Rod 2-S1

RP Brad Ziegler 1-S1

C Yadier Molina 20-S1

302 Josh Harrison 10-S1

2B Dee Gordon 15-L2

OF Yasiel Puig 10-L2

OF Gregory Polanco 5-S1

OF Angel Pagan 17-S1

Goals: get another solid SP for around 20-25. consider Addison Reed if price is right. focus on power, as AVG and SB already set.

how did it go? Well, I didn't buy a single pitcher in the first three HOURS. My system of player values is such that I try not to really, really reach more than once an auction. I'll take what the auction gives me, and be willing to deal later. In this case, I'll have no choice.

NEED 13 PLAYERS FOR 154 UNITS

OF ANDREW MCCUTCHEN 37 - My system has me willing to go to 42 (or maybe a smidge more), so this was a pleasant 1st-round surprise to kick off the auction. Was told later about his knee "issues" that scared owners, but he homered with 4 RBI today. love this pick for this year and beyond; I don't need him to run at all (my keepers alone swiped 124 sacks last year). NEED 12 for 117

SS TROY TULOWITZKI 33 - 2nd-rounder is the second player to go for under my target price (of 35). He can miss a couple of weeks and I'll still make a profit. Risky, sure, but Howie Kendrick went for 32 in this auction and Votto went for 35. I'm content, and I know I'll leave the auction with lots of star hitters. NEED 11 for 84

OF JAY BRUCE 24 - Remember I mentioned one "reach"? Had him at 20, but a buzzer-beater 21 bid left me going up the ladder. A couple of rounds had gone by, and power was going at a higher premium than speed - odd, because another owner and I have cornered the market at steals almost, so I figured the remaining speed would go for a fortune. Bruce slots well with what by now is a crazy-high AVG team. NEED 10 for 60

OF/UT CURTIS GRANDERSON 17 - This is where it gets very messy. Somehow Grandyman is not even on my availables list, and the bidding is sluggish. I'm convinced he'd list around 20, and feel like I have to buy at this price. Turns out he's too pricey here by my own reckoning, AND he's my 6th OF - so OF AND UT is off the board, only an hour into the auction. Not a good place to be. Still, at a glance he looks like a slugger whose AVG I can handle with my high AVG squad overall. And several owners still have more than 100 units, and I know the game is soon going to get very bloody. NEED 9 for 43.

C JARROD SALTALAMACCHIA 7 - Sat out for a while, and got back in with a boring but sensible pick - a C with a bit of pop. NEED 8 for 36.

2B JEDD GYORKO 12 - There are absolutely zero reasonable SP prices - examples around this stage include Cashner 16, McCarthy 14, Lackey 12, Fiers 12, Garza 10, Gee 9, DeSclafani 7 - so I zag while others zig and keep taking palatable hitters. A healthy Gyorko could be very solid, so yes please. BUT now I'm also boxed in at middle INF as well at C and OF. More than an hour to go, and for my two last hitting slots I have to get a 1B and a 1B/3B. Quite confining. And oh, yes, I haven't bought a single pitcher yet (at this point it helped that I decided to simply not worry about it, and trade later. That helped me avoid a silly, massive overpay for an SP. or did it?). NEED 7 for 24.

SP AJ BURNETT 6 - At this point the hitting well is as dry as the pitching, and I still only own 2 SPs. I have tended to overcorrect in recent years to never taking a gamble on any SP, leaving me with good ERA/Ratio but tending to lag in W and K. This year, I'll gamble a bit on the back end even as I try to overload offense to produce tradeable excess. Weary at this point, and not bragging on this buy. NEED 6 for 18.

SP HYUN-JIN RYU 10-DL/VANCE WORLEY - Even the abbreviated season of Ryu at this point is miles ahead of any other SP out there, and I can see that I can't really buy much with my remaining dough anywhere. One rival suggested I may "Ryu" the day I made this pick. I said I already "Ryu" the price. But best available athlete here. Worley a crap-shoot replacement, but again I am willing to try to get lucky. Greinke and Ziegler offer a nice head start in ERA/Ratio. NEED 5 for 8.

SP/RP RAFAEL MONTERO 2 - I still had three pitching slots open, his name came up and - I dunno. Nice prospect but seems blocked. League filled with Mets lovers and - whatever. NEED 4 for 6.

1B TYLER MOORE 3 - Brutal. Every single 1B qualifier with a pulse went into the stratosphere. The worst "starting" 1B I have ever had. Limited ways to replace active players, but we told Tyler to rent, not buy. Coup de grace was some chucklehead bidding 2. NEED 3 for 3.

RP JONATHAN BROXTON 1 - Ok, that's better. K-Rod + Broxton for 3 units. If K-Rod rocks again, can dump Broxton down the road. NEED 2 for 2.

1B/3B KRIS NEGRON 1 - Kill me now. I always have 14 hitters better than this. NEED 1 for 1.

SP RUBBY DE LA ROSA 1 - Could be radioactive in ARI, but I couldn't get my setup man RP targets and went all-in on "risky starter" play. DONE

THE SQUAD

SP Zack Greinke 25-S1

SP Hyun-Jin Ryu 10-S2-DL/Vance Worley

SP AJ Burnett 6-S2

SP Mike Leake 1-O

SP Rubby de la Rosa 1-S2

RP K-Rod 2-S1

RP Jonathan Broxton 1-S2

RP Brad Ziegler 1-S1

RP/SP Rafael Montero 2-S2

C Yadier Molina 20-S1

C Jarrod Saltalamacchia 7-S2

1B Tyler Moore 3-S2

3B Josh Harrison 10-S1

13 Kris Negron 1-S2

2B Dee Gordon 15-L2

SS Troy Tulowitzki 33-S2

2S Jedd Gyorko 12-S12

OF Andrew McCutchen 37-S2

OF Yasiel Puig 10-L2

OF Jay Bruce 24-S2

OF Gregory Polanco 5-S1

OF Angel Pagan 17-S1

UT Curtis Granderson 17-S2

Have at it, fellas!
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Another annual spring rite.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Man, love this auction for you, JJ. Wish I had done as well with mine your hitters are ridiculous. You can surely trade for pitching.

Btw I think you will end up liking the R Montero pickup. Low cost, solid upside.

Comment

OF ANDREW MCCUTCHEN 37 - My system has me willing to go to 42 (or maybe a smidge more), so this was a pleasant 1st-round surprise to kick off the auction. Was told later about his knee "issues" that scared owners, but he homered with 4 RBI today. love this pick for this year and beyond; I don't need him to run at all (my keepers alone swiped 124 sacks last year). NEED 12 for 117

SS TROY TULOWITZKI 33 - 2nd-rounder is the second player to go for under my target price (of 35). He can miss a couple of weeks and I'll still make a profit. Risky, sure, but Howie Kendrick went for 32 in this auction and Votto went for 35. I'm content, and I know I'll leave the auction with lots of star hitters. NEED 11 for 84
        These prices just shouldn't happen in an NL-only with 10 keepers per team. Good job springing to action while your leaguemates were napping.
        Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
        We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

We have 3 or 4 owners who also play in a long-running big bucks league (about $3,500 for the winner, or 7X times what this "friendly" pays). I think the worst of McCutchen news was late Fri, and they drafted Saturday morning. So that aggressive segment was a little cowed (Cutch was just starting his Sunday rampage as I bought him).

Tulo - many have gotten burned by him. My only experience was grabbing him as a mid-season FA and profiting. have never been on the big bidding since.

funny thing about the feedback here compared to a decade ago is that there are so many scars across my auction - or nits, as eldiablo too kindly describes them. my initial idea was to let newbies know that bad things happen even in well-played auctions. but by now, everyone knows that, so the glitches are written into the analysis. it happens.

just keep on plugging.

I am projected to win R by 74, but win HR by only 3 and RBI by 4 over a different team. SB projection is one team winning by 50 over all but me - I'm in the middle of that in 2nd. good, because in theory I can move 20 SB and not lose a pt there. I'm only a close 5th in AVG, but that is more easily massaged.

I am listed mediocre across the pitching board, and rightly so. But no major category deficits, and this with zero Ryu. if he has anything left, that's half the battle right there.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            These prices just shouldn't happen in an NL-only with 10 keepers per team. Good job springing to action while your leaguemates were napping.
            Have to agree there, especially for McCutchen.

Comment

Fun read. Interesting auction.

The thing I like most about this is that you took what the auction gave. Each auction seems to take on a life of it's own. The better we get at walking through it without panicking the better we do. Your hitting is very strong, your pitching is pretty weak. But you already had a plan to address that. The trade.

I hope you will keep us updated as how this team does as well as how you tinker with it as the season progresses.

Good luck.

Comment

Thanks.

am projected 1st overall by one system (58 out of 60 hitting pts) and 4th by another. funny that Rubby of all people has 2 of my 3 wins, albeit in shaky outings.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

SPOILER ALERT

this team had 63.5 pts on May 1 and 64 pts - still 8th place - on June 1.

now at 111 out of 120 maximum, and a 15-pt lead. there are no human footprints on this hiking trail, and there may be a couple of more notches to the bedpost left (to mix metaphors). worst category is W, where I lead in IP and am chasing all-time ERA and Ratio marks, so 2.5 pts in play there still.

you have to wait a month for the post-mortem, though.

and you guys above who liked the auction plays - take your bows as well.....

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Bring it home, JJ!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X