AL Only pickups - Week 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL Only pickups - Week 1

Since my league still uses the ancient and barbaric method of waivers done in reverse order, and my team has been graced with two of the pitchers that gave up 8ER in 4 IP or less this week, I actually have second or third shot at a pickup. 5x5, with SLG and OBP replacing HR and AVG. I have a short term need for an OF (Rua to go on DL, Saunders still on DL) and a P. Here's what's available:

Hitters: Canha, K. Pillar, C. Ross, Giovotella, J. Smolinski, DeJesus, Holt, Villar, E. Escobar

Pitchers: Miguel Castro, Feldman, Warren, H. Santiago, K. Jepsen,

Thoughts on who I should go after? My inclination is to go after Canha/Pillar/Smolinski, and then go after a pitcher from whatever scraps are left over, or grab a MR to tide me over.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Castro should be #1 for sure - big time potential for him to run with the gig.

After that the pitchers aren't all that intriguing - maybe Jepsen for the K's and ratios. As for the hitters, I'd rank them:

Canha - they'll keep finding him at-bats if he keeps mashing
    DeJesus - in the short-term at least
    Giavotella - getting at-bats but not much upside

You know what, I'm not going to rank the rest of the guys, they all suck

Comment

Trevor May was called up and gets 2 starts this week, so consider him if he's unowned.

Slight hijack: how much FAAB Ross and May are worth?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
      Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
      Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Ross - maybe $1, should be a striaght platoon guy
        May - never done FAAB before, but I'm guessing maybe $3? Great K rates in the minors, just needs to hone his control - could be a breakout candidate.

Comment

I agree with Castro being the #1 guy, no question. He's a potential big time closer as soon as this year.

Cahna has the possibility of all April phenoms on him...think Chris Colabello. One of those guys who rake until there's a book on him...could be totally wrong about that, but I distrust guys with no real pedigree.

May is a real possibility, since Nolasco both sucks and is injured.

Giovatella is going to get AB's, since there's really no competition, and might just give you a little something, something...
          "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
          - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
          -Warren Ellis

Comment

Nowadays everyone has a book on them before they take their first step on a major league field. You wouldn't believe the level of detail we have on minor league games. And the advance scouting groups use all of that.
            "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I dunno.....is a team really going to give a 20 year old the closer role? Too young to write him off as a reliever and once you start him down this path, then it likely keeps him there.

Comment

A new owner bid $20 on Ross. I wonder if he thinks FAAB is $100 per week?

He went on quite a spree as CBS was glitchy so we had unlimited FAAB claims this week instead of our usual 2. He also bid $8 on May; I bid $5.

His final tally: CRoss 20 TBeckham 8 May 8 Osuna 8 Orlando 2 Dykstra 1 - $47 FAAB gone after Week 1. Wow.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                  A new owner bid $20 on Ross. I wonder if he thinks FAAB is $100 per week?

He went on quite a spree as CBS was glitchy so we had unlimited FAAB claims this week instead of our usual 2. He also bid $8 on May; I bid $5.

His final tally: CRoss 20 TBeckham 8 May 8 Osuna 8 Orlando 2 Dykstra 1 - $47 FAAB gone after Week 1. Wow.
                  A guy in our league bid $27 on both Soria and Familia.
                  If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                  - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                    A guy in our league bid $27 on both Soria and Familia.
                    I think that's fair for Soria. He was a target of mine but he was drafted/bought as if he had the job. Bit of a stretch for Familia if you did your homework.

Comment

Originally posted by virgonomic View Post
                      I think that's fair for Soria. He was a target of mine but he was drafted/bought as if he had the job. Bit of a stretch for Familia if you did your homework.
                      Nathan has sucked for quite awhile yet still had the job...Soria keeping the job when he returns is far from a guarantee.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Working...
                      X