Similar pre-season values, NL-only hitter vs pitcher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Similar pre-season values, NL-only hitter vs pitcher

I ended up hitting-heavy, pitching-weak in both my 12-team 5x5 NL-only leagues this year, something that normally doesn't happen to me.

Curious how much I skewed too much $ value to hitters, and wondered if y'all could help me out by consulting your NL-only values and naming a SP that is worth the same $ in your pre-season values as some of the hitters I ended up with...is it me or is it my leagues? Probably me...

1) Buster Posey is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP ______________.

2) David Wright is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP _____________.

3) Ryan Howard is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP _____________.

4) Justin Upton is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP _____________.

5) Howie Kendrick is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP _____________.

6) Carlos Ruiz is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP _____________.

Do you want comps based on my pre-auction projected values, or on the prices pitchers sold for during the auction?
    2021 Auction Anatomy
    2021 Keeper Decisions
    2020 Auction Anatomy
    2020 Pre-Auction
    2015 Auction Anatomy
    2014 Auction Anatomy
    2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
    RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

I think this is an interesting exercise.

When I prepare for an auction I do not think in terms of equal values for players. I separate the pitching and hitting into two groups then I tier them from there. As our league has some wacked prices and inflation I might pay way more for a need that is not very plentiful at auction.

I do not hold the value of a $25 OF the same as a $25 pitcher. In general I think our league values hitting more than pitching although that is starting to become more equal.

NL only 5x5 keeper.

The top pitchers in the auction were Scherzer 42, Bumgarner 32, Greinke 30 Lester 27, Shields 25 (Kershaw 40 was kept).

The top hitters in the auction were Stanton 49, Tulo 36, Kemp 36, Freeman 33 Blackmon 31, Posey 30,

I kept Kershaw so I was not in the pitching bidding for these listed. Stanton is the only player that I would trade him for.

I would be interested to see what others think.

Comment

Originally posted by ThatRogue View Post
        Do you want comps based on my pre-auction projected values, or on the prices pitchers sold for during the auction?
        I think it would be interested to see them both with the pre-auction posted first.

Comment

Our league only has 1 C and has crazy values for hitters so I'm not sure this will help

1) Buster Posey is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Posey 45/Scherzer 49

2) David Wright is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Wright 38/J Zimm/Lester 31 or Cishek 34

3) Ryan Howard is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP kept at 23 / Gio 27 or Shields 26

4) Justin Upton is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Upton 49/Scherzer 49

5) Howie Kendrick is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Kendrick 31 / JZimm and Lester 31

6) Carlos Ruiz is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Ruiz 3 / Brandon Morrow 3

Comment

Whatever is easier to pull, important thing would be apples-to-apples, so if one of the guys was a keeper, to skip that one or note it. Thanks for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by joncarlos View Post
              Our league has crazy values for hitters...
              2) David Wright is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Wright 38/J Zimm/Lester 31

4) Justin Upton is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Upton 49/Scherzer 49

5) Howie Kendrick is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as SP Kendrick 31 / JZimm and Lester 31
              Interesting - yours really is at opposite extreme as my leagues that had crazy values for pitchers I think (pending more data).

Mine: Kendrick 22, Wright 27, Lester 29, JZimm 31; Upton 32, Scherzer 39.

Check out the JZimm-Upton difference, your league vs. my league.
              Last edited by james33; 04-07-2015, 09:22 AM. Reason: more detail

Comment

Yeah the $38 Wright was my purchase. I kept Kershaw for 40. If I was smart I would have traded Kershaw for a bat and bought Zimm and Lester at auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                  I think this is an interesting exercise.

When I prepare for an auction I do not think in terms of equal values for players. I separate the pitching and hitting into two groups then I tier them from there. As our league has some wacked prices and inflation I might pay way more for a need that is not very plentiful at auction.

I do not hold the value of a $25 OF the same as a $25 pitcher. In general I think our league values hitting more than pitching although that is starting to become more equal.

I agree wholeheartedly with Gregg. Pitchers' increased injury risk, and potential for significantly reduced value, depresses their auction prices. The "cost" of the upper-tier pitchers tends to exceed the "relative value" of similarly priced hitters. In our league, Clayton Kershaw was kept at $46, which was similar to the draft prices for injury risk players Tulo $46 and Braun $45 (we drafted on March 6th, before "good health" could be established). Note that Justin Upton also went for $46. Scherzer went for $39, similar to the price for injury risk hitters Ryan Zimmerman $39 and Carlos Gonzalez $40. Craig Kimbrel and Steven Strasburg both went for $35, as did Lucas Duda, Jason Heyward and Jay Bruce (Holliday went for $34). In summary, the elite pitcher tends to go for a price similar to the upper tier (not elite) of hitters, and the upper tier of pitchers tends to go for the prices as the 3rd tier of hitters.

Back to your question, here goes. The valuations are based my primary paid source and un-inflated. However, they are tailored to my league ($280 budget, 5x5 OBP, 14 hitters, 10 pitchers, 1 super UT, 15 reserves, with each team having up to three minor leaguers with salaries that are exempt from the auction budget until the year they no longer qualify as rookies)...and use a 68%/32% hitting/pitching split:

1) Buster Posey (valuation of $28, auction price of $40) is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as Scherzer (valuation of $29, auction price of $39) and Kimbrel (valuation of $28, auction price of $35).

2) David Wright (valuation of $24, auction price of $29) is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as Bumgarner (valuation of $25, auction price of $33) and J. Zimmerman (valuation of $23, auction price of $30)

3) Ryan Howard (valuation of $9, auction price of $16) is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as McCarthy (valuation of $9, auction price of $10) and Lohse (valuation of $9, auction price of $10)

4) Justin Upton (valuation of $28, auction price of $46) is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as Scherzer (valuation of $29, auction price of $39)

5) Howie Kendrick (valuation of $18, auction price of $19) is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as Shields (valuation of $18, auction price of $24)

6) Carlos Ruiz (valuation of $7, auction price of $9) is worth roughly the same dollar value pre-season as Garza (valuation of $7, auction price of $9)

I hope this helps...
                  Last edited by ThatRogue; 04-07-2015, 10:14 AM.
                  2021 Auction Anatomy
                  2021 Keeper Decisions
                  2020 Auction Anatomy
                  2020 Pre-Auction
                  2015 Auction Anatomy
                  2014 Auction Anatomy
                  2011 Auction Anatomy

RotoJunkie Posts: 4,314
                  RotoJunkie Join Date: Jun 2001

Comment

In summary, the elite pitcher tends to go for a price similar to the upper tier (not elite) of hitters, and the upper tier of pitchers tends to go for the prices as the 3rd tier of hitters.

I hope this helps...
                    Very helpful, thank you for taking the time. Your prices, and what you summarized eloquently in that sentence, is what I've come to expect from my auctions (and I've been in one of the leagues for over a decade). But something weird happened - in both my leagues despite no ownership in common other than me - this year, and I didn't adjust. Thankfully both are keeper leagues, so if I am in the position to make a run for it, I can always trade good values for SP to a dumper who spent way too much on his SP.

Comment

Working...
                    X