Lackey as the ace...uh oh?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lackey as the ace...uh oh?

So this is the first year of an NL 5x5 - 10 teams. I cant remember the last time I drafted an only team without keepers, and I struggled with a strategy. In the end, I decided on something like an 85/15 split (turned out to be very close - at 83/17) and try to win every offensive category and go from there. At the draft, I kept waiting for bargains, but nothing really seemed to come (I bought my top 3 offensive guys and waited for ages hoping prices would come down to earth). I would estimate maybe 10 total bargains all night. Closers were going for exorbitant amounts (which I didnt expect at all), so I decided to go with the MR route to balance my % (daily pitcher changes allowed).

Anyway, here's the damage - obviously pitching is weak, but can this team compete as-is; do I need to start dealing away offense ASAP; or should I sit tight and see how it all pans out before doing anything rash? Thanks.

C- Ramos $4
    1B- Adrian Gonzalez $26
    2B- Wong $18
    3B- Frazier $30
    SS- Segura $16
    MI- Neil Walker $11
    CI- Belt $14
    OF- Stanton $47, Joc Pederson $21, Pollock $17, M.Taylor $5, Peralta $1
    U- McGahee $3, Ahmed $1
    B- A.Russell $1
    SP- Lackey $10, Hendricks $5, Leake $3, Niese $2, Peavy $2, Iglesias $2, Brett Anderson $1, A.Webster $1
    RP- Mejia $10, Ottavino $5, Peralta $1, Quackenbush $2, Ramos $1

MINORS
    Hector Olivera, Orlando Arcia, Tyler Glasnow, Justin Nicolino, Robert Stephenson

Seems that if you're going to use this method that you should've paid for another closer and just punted wins all together. I normally spend more on pitching than most so I'm the wrong guy to ask about such matters. Your offense does look really good though.

Comment

I think you're destined for middle of the pack with no moves. Hard to imagine you don't project for dead last in ERA and WHIP and Saves.

Ideally you'd trade Adrian Gonzalez or Frazier for a SP that went for $27-$33, but good luck getting someone's ace...unless whoever bought Kershaw/Scherzer/Strasburg also bought Bumgarner/Greinke/Cueto/Zimmerman/Wainwright. Zimmerman or Wainwright might be interesting targets since they aren't as expensive as the others, but their WHIP could help stabilize that category.

A more realistic approach might be to try to trade (Joc Pederson or Pollock) to one team for Cole/Arrieta/Teheran/Shields/Wood/Gio, and trade Segura to another team for another pitcher from that same list. You still won't have an ace, but with inseason management, your pitching could be respectable.

If this is a keeper league, though, depending on what his salary is when he's activated, you've got a shot to flip Olivera to a team that ends up having a lot of injuries and is at bottom of standings, for their best SP, and then you might be ok.

Good luck!

Comment

Don't panic. I would look out for an emerging closer but worse staffs have won leagues. As you said if a starter is pitching badly dump them (if league rules allow) and get somebody else.

Comment

Umm...what was your strategy when you decided pre-auction to go 85/15 split? It seems like mission accomplished. I have to assume that you did not expect to be competitive out of the auction spending only 15% on pitching. That means you had to have a trading plan in your mind going in. It is now time to execute that plan. Where you going to sit tight and build up some offensive stats before trading? Where you going to wait for some people to start dumping so you could trade with them? Where you planning on trading for pitching days after the auction (my least favorite of the choices).

I am not trying to be harsh, trying to get you to remember the plan. Sometimes we look at what happens after an auction and start to panic a bit. You have plenty to work with no matter what plan you pursue.

I like james33 suggestions above.

I would add that if Taylor gets off to a fast start you should be able to move him for a pretty good pitcher.

Comment

The issue I see is that it's hard to find several really good ratio stabilizers in an NL league. I think Quack is OK but not sure about Otto or Ramos, and Mejia certainly doesn't help. If you're going to spot your SPs until you have an offensive lead to trade some hitters, you need to try to build a good ratio foundation. You've got Olivera and Russell to trade when teams start dumping. You'll eventually have hitters to trade. You just need to stabilize things for a while.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              Umm...what was your strategy when you decided pre-auction to go 85/15 split? It seems like mission accomplished. I have to assume that you did not expect to be competitive out of the auction spending only 15% on pitching. That means you had to have a trading plan in your mind going in. It is now time to execute that plan. Where you going to sit tight and build up some offensive stats before trading? Where you going to wait for some people to start dumping so you could trade with them? Where you planning on trading for pitching days after the auction (my least favorite of the choices).

I am not trying to be harsh, trying to get you to remember the plan. Sometimes we look at what happens after an auction and start to panic a bit. You have plenty to work with no matter what plan you pursue.

I like james33 suggestions above.

I would add that if Taylor gets off to a fast start you should be able to move him for a pretty good pitcher.
              you are right...I did have a plan to build up some offense and then hit the trade market. And you are also right that I started to panic once it all shook out.

Comment

Working...
              X