Okay, lay it on me...how'd I do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Okay, lay it on me...how'd I do?

Drafted last night from the #1 spot (my re-draft, not auction). 6x6 mixed keeper (AVG, HR, RBI, R, SB, OBP; W, L, K, WHIP, ERA, SV).
    Kept Giles, Dickerson, Brantley (were my 22nd, 23rd, 24th round picks, respectively)
    NOTE: We have no innings minimum/max -- weird, I know, but I didn't start this league -- so some owners load up on starters and try to win W, K, and others (like me) load up on closers/middle guys and try to win Saves, WHIP, ERA. I've won league 2x in row (and 3 of last 4 years) in part using the "all closer/middle relief" strategy. Also, have no idea how I ended up with so many friggin' Texas Rangers. Just weird happenstance.

BATS:
    C- Y.Molina
    1B- P.Fielder
    2B- Odor
    SS- E.Andrus
    3B- A.Beltre
    MI- D.Santana
    CI- C.Carter
    OF: M.Trout, M.Brantley, R.Braun, C.Dickerson
    DH: A.Pollock

BENCH:
    L.Martin, CJ Cron, Mi.Taylor, Micah Johnson

STAFF:
    Kimbrel, Storen, H.Rondon, J.Benoit, Boxberger, Clippard, K.Giles, W.Davis

Overall thoughts? Glaring holes? Speed should be okay between Andrus, Santana, Trout, Brantley, Pollock, L.Martin, and if Mic. Johnson gets the 2B gig for CHISOX. Power probably okay between Carter, Braun, Trout, Prince, Dickerson, a bit from Beltre, Brantley and Cron (and maybe catch lightning in bottle with Mi. Taylor). A few decent names on waivers...Reddick, Ackley, Gyorko, Lawrie, Joe Smith (Street looks shaky)...but no one who, to me, screams add/drop right this second. Need Fielder to bounce back, and Santana to stop K'ing and get on base, steal 30+.

Finally, have an offer on the table: I get Kole Calhoun, I give Danny Santana. Calhoun could be a beast in Runs this year, but I'm already pretty deep in OF, thin at MI.
    12-team mixed keeper. 6x6 (OBP, QS the extra categories).

C- J.McCann
    1B-Cron
    2B- Villar
    SS- Andrus
    3B-Baez
    MI-L. Gurriel
    CI- Y.Gurriel
    OF- Blackmon, Judge, Betts, Dom.Santana
    UTIL- Benintendi
    BENCH: Pence, Dyson
    SP: Verlander, Scherzer, M. Boyd, JA Happ, Ponce de Leon
    RP: Yates, Greene, C.Martinez, Oberg, Bummer, N.Anderson
    IL: Buxton

looks good, but I would try and trade pollock/Leonys for a middle infielder ASAP. Not convinced in anything with Santana. If you could package santana with one of those guys for a dee gordon or some other SB maniac, it would make your team look a lot stronger and your bench look a lot weaker, which is what I think you would want.

Comment

How many teams?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
        How many teams?
        12-team league, sorry, forgot to add that,

C- J.McCann
        1B-Cron
        2B- Villar
        SS- Andrus
        3B-Baez
        MI-L. Gurriel
        CI- Y.Gurriel
        UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Your OF is loaded, no need to trade Santana for Calhoun IMO, especially since you're so weak at MI. Seemingly every 'expert' has dogged Santana this off-season. He's hitting .341 this spring...yea I know they're not that relevant, but the guy is a baller...nearly every game last season he did something to help his owners. If you find the right deal, sure trade him, but I definitely would not be selling him at anything less than full value.
          If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
          - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

In a 12-teamer, I'm trying to figure out how on earth you got Trout, Brantley, Beltre and Braun.

I like Danny Santana, and the way you're team is configured, I'd pass on the deal. If my OF weren't as stacked as yours is, I'd consider it. But you're MI thin - who knows what Odor will do, Micah J. has all sorts of people breathing down his neck, and Andrus is coming off a bad year.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Yeah, it's hard to have any faults with your offense.

I'd do the Calhoun deal, even if you don't need him, because in a league this shallow, you need to accumulate stars and not role players. And like you posted, you can pick up guys like Lawrie and Gyorko at no cost. Or like Pauly said, try and do 2-for-1 package deals for better players.

The no-inning minimum with six pitching categories -- where one of them is losses -- is pretty silly. Why would anyone bother with starting pitchers when relievers can dominate in four of the six categories? The fact that many of the 11 other teams are not employing a pure reliever strategy shows they're violating rule #1 when it comes to fantasy -- know the rules!

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                In a 12-teamer, I'm trying to figure out how on earth you got Trout, Brantley, Beltre and Braun.
                Had Brantley, Dickerson (and Giles) as keepers....luckily drew the #1 pick, took Trout. My round 2 & 3 picks were Beltre and Braun.

And Revo, yeah, this league is wacky. It'd been around since like 2002 when I joined 5 years ago; was originally a 5x5. I quickly realized that if there's no IP minimum -- bizarre -- then shit, you can outright win 3 of the original 5 pitching categories (W, K, SV, WHIP, ERA) by not going anywhere near starters, and just loading up on closers and stud middle guys (super low WHIP/ERA types, e.g. Betances, Andrew Miller, Wade Davis, Joe Smith, Giles last year). They added Quality Starts as a sixth pitching category two years ago (and added OBP on offense, making it a 6x6)...my mistake, I listed Losses as the sixth cat, not QS (they did have Losses for one year but realized how obviously stupid and luck-based it can be, changed to QS). Still, I've been able to win or finish in the money by going all-closers even with QS evening out the pitching categories...usually finishing 1st in WHIP/ERA/Saves which, combined with my offense (I can usually load up on bats and a couple stud closers while others fight over stud starting P's, and then speculate middle guys/closers late in the draft), normally leads to a dominant team. But I didn't make the rules, I'm only exploiting them ...I am hoping they add an IP minimum next year, though.

C- J.McCann
                1B-Cron
                2B- Villar
                SS- Andrus
                3B-Baez
                MI-L. Gurriel
                CI- Y.Gurriel
                UTIL- Benintendi

Comment

Usually when a loophole is exploited, it is quickly closed. That it hasn't been in this case is odd. But hey, good for you. Barring the Rangers' offense completely shitting the bed like it did last year, you should be in good position to execute your strategy well.
                  Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                  We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    Usually when a loophole is exploited, it is quickly closed. That it hasn't been in this case is odd. But hey, good for you. Barring the Rangers' offense completely shitting the bed like it did last year, you should be in good position to execute your strategy well.
                    Ha, yeah...and I wasn't the only one to try the "all closers" route....others just had some bad injury luck, flat-out picked the wrong guys, or just didn't do it as well. ...but everyone has the same opportunity to draft their staffs as they see fit, so I don't feel TOTALLY filthy or anything. Only kinda filthy.

C- J.McCann
                    1B-Cron
                    2B- Villar
                    SS- Andrus
                    3B-Baez
                    MI-L. Gurriel
                    CI- Y.Gurriel
                    UTIL- Benintendi