Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I’ll Get By With a Little Help From My Friends…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I’ll Get By With a Little Help From My Friends…

15-team mixed league with numerous RJ-types, numerous sharks, and maybe a few Doig classifies as chum (which I guess probably includes me). I’ve gone back and forth so many times that I am brain locked. Part of the dilemma is whether to tie up the least amount of salary (and lose more to inflation), or freeze a couple of more expensive players at value (and try to beat inflation at the auction). Anyway, here are the guys I’m looking at keeping, the ones I don’t know about, and the ones I’ve pretty much written off. Up to 10 keepers, $260 cap, no idea on inflation yet, but past years indicate somewhere around 20%. There are lots of bargains, but many owners tend to over-freeze. Two-catcher league.

Presently on the freeze list:

Anthony Rizzo $10Z (I think he has figured it out. Cheap enough to be my CI or DH if I get a big guy at the auction.)
    Travis d’Arnaud $5B (High second tier in my opinion.)
    Derek Norris $1B (Gotta have a second catcher, won’t be one cheaper, I look at him to produce.)
    Jean Segura $5 (Can steal bases just by thinking about it. Tragic tale, but he can come back.)
    Mike Fiers $7B (No great value, but solid numbers, good middle rotation starter.)
    Julio Teheran $5C (See Fiers above. Should he be extended?)
    Brandon McCarthy $5B (See Fiers above.)

Do all of these guys belong?

How about these?

Ryu (worried about his injury – don’t need that risk)
    Carlos Martinez $1B (Just won the gig as the Cardinals fifth starter, for whatever that is worth.)
    Howie Kendrick $5B (Good numbers last year, moving to a good park and a pretty good team, always a season away from that monster batting average we’ve been waiting for.)
    Buster Posey $28B (I think he is worth $30 even without inflation, so figure $36 with. I could keep him as a CI, and move him to DH in the auction if I picked up a great 1B. He would also answer the problem of what to do if/when one of my other catchers gets hurt. (The Three-Catcher Option) I’m pretty sure that corners with his numbers will go $40 or more in the auction. And there arises the question. Do I keep a less expensive guy with similar “profit” and lose the money I carry into the auction to inflation, or do I freeze that salary in Posey, and have a little less for inflation to fritter away? Thoughts?
    Mike Napoli $14B (A less expensive, and less talented, version of Posey, but one with a lot of pop. Caveman pop.)
    Jered Weaver $16B (A pitcher probably at value, also probably in decline. He would probably be a no-brainer for me if I weren’t worried about the latter, as his outer numbers have still been good. He also would help me burn off the effect of a little inflation on the effect of my auction salary.)
    Sergio Romo $1B (Even if he doesn’t wrestle the job away from Castillo immediately, Romo should be one of the more valuable setup men out there, and he won’t get any cheaper. If I wind up with nine I really like, should I use him as the tenth?)
    Coco Crisp $10C (Old, spent last year nicked up. But the As say they want to run, and that they need Coco to lead the attack. They have even moved him to Left Field so he won’t be crashing into walls all the time. Stats other than SBs show he still has wheels. Who will drive him in, though?)
    Dexter Fowler $3C (This could be the chance Dexter has been looking for…hitting leadoff for a good offense which will let him run. I think he could easily be worth $10. Or not.)

And some other guys…
    Jarrod Saltalamacchia $2
    Cody Asche $1
    Dallas Keuchel $7
    Jake Odorizzi $5C
    Rick Porcello $3B
    K. Quackenbush $1B

Is this the league where Byron blew chunks in a rental car on the way to the draft?
    Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
    We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Yes. So you can see the level of talent I am up against here. Someone blows chunks every year. It's not every man who can blow like that and then complete an day long auction.

Comment

Posey
        D'Arnaud
        Rizzo
        Kendrick
        Segura
        Fowler
        Fiers
        Teheran
        McCarthy
        Martinez

I probably wouldn't extend Teheran but 1 year isn't unpalatable.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I'd keep your 7 plus CMartinez, Kendrick and Posey. There's profit in Fowler, too, and I'd have no objection to throwing over Fiers or d'Arnaud to keep him.

I'd extend Teheran a year, but I really like him
          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            I'd keep your 7 plus CMartinez, Kendrick and Posey. There's profit in Fowler, too, and I'd have no objection to throwing over Fiers or d'Arnaud to keep him.

I agree with all of this.
            Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
            We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post

The above is close to what I would do.

I like your catchers at their prices and would not give up d'Arnaud. I am not so high on Fiers as some especially in a mixed league. I would move him for the profit that is in Fowler.If you have to have Fiers, then I am keeping Fowler over Martinez. I would not roster Fiers and Marintez at the expense of Fowler.

I would give Teheran a year as well.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                How much is Ryu?
                Ryu is $8 in his option year.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  Ryu is $8 in his option year.
                  Its. Too. Easy.

At $8, you should screw Ryu.

Comment

There seems to be pretty strong agreement on Posey and Kendrick in addition to the first seven (with one dissent on Norris), with Martinez and Fowler getting some votes, at least a couple at the expense of Fiers.

I have this question...what is it about Martinez that appeals to everyone so much? I know he has great potential, but can I really expect a ERA under 4.00 or a whip under 1.30 in 2015? If he struggles, will they hesitate to bring someone up to replace him? He just seems like an awful lot of risk in a freeze, even at two bucks, when I could use that spot for Romo.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                      There seems to be pretty strong agreement on Posey and Kendrick in addition to the first seven (with one dissent on Norris), with Martinez and Fowler getting some votes, at least a couple at the expense of Fiers.

I have this question...what is it about Martinez that appeals to everyone so much? I know he has great potential, but can I really expect a ERA under 4.00 or a whip under 1.30 in 2015? If he struggles, will they hesitate to bring someone up to replace him? He just seems like an awful lot of risk in a freeze, even at two bucks, when I could use that spot for Romo.
                      I can't tell you Chum..........
                      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Lucky - I've seen CMartinez pitch in person in Memphis a number of times. He had electric stuff, better than Miller's or Wacha's. He has a little of his namesake's Pedro mean in him, too.

Comment

Working...
                        X