AL-Only Draft Strategy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AL-Only Draft Strategy

Alright folks, after dominating my 10-team AL-Only league (5x5 OBP) for the first handful of years I'm in a bit of a slump and it's due to my crappy drafts. Is it due to too many cocktails during the draft? Possibly, but it's also because I don't usually have a great strategy going in. Well that's all about to change thanks to you fine folks! Here's how my keepers fit on my roster:

C -
    1B -
    2B -
    3B -
    SS - Danny Santana ($10)
    CI -
    MI -
    OF - George Springer ($5)
    OF - JD Martinez ($10)
    OF - Rusney Castillo ($10) - gets dropped from my keeper list if he gets sent down by Saturday
    OF -
    Util -

P - Hisashi Iwakuma ($16)
    P - Carlos Carrasco ($1)
    P - Colin McHugh ($10)
    P - Cody Allen ($8)
    P -
    P -
    P -
    P -
    P -

And here are the top players available for the auction:
    Trout
    Miggy
    Hanley
    Cespedes
    Ellsbury
    Price
    Cano
    A. Jones
    Sale
    Fielder
    Pujols
    Beltre

There are a lot of Angels fans in this league and it's the first time he's ever been available in the draft, so Trout's going to go for biiiig money (maybe even $70?) Since I'm already kinda full in the outfield I figure I should spend big on a couple position players.

Who do you guys think presents the best value of Miggy/Hanley/Cano/Fielder/Pujols/Beltre?
    Do I need to go after one of the top starters or do I have a good enough core to just spend on hitting instead?
    Only Santana/Zunino/Castro/Gomes were kept but I only see 5 more catchers I'm comfortable with (Gattis/McCann/Perez/Wieters/Martin) - who do you like for value out of those?
    Do I have enough of a head start in speed or do I need to invest in another burner?

Any and all help is appreciated - playing in a 12-team NL-only league with deeper rosters kinda messes up my perspective on value.

Does your league properly value OBP? I ask because you don't have a great start to OBP on offense. Maybe you go after Pujols if he's cheaper than he should be. Or Choo or Fielder. I would not pay $70 for Trout in a 10-team AL league. If the rest of the league has keepers good enough to generate 70% inflation, you could be in a lot of trouble. From that top group I'd expect Miggy or Pujols or maybe Cano to give you the best value.

I do think you need more speed but I wouldn't necessarily go after a pure speed guy like Dyson. Try to get a couple more 15-20 steal guys who also contribute elsewhere, if you can find them.

I like McCann this year especially in an OBP league. If Wieters goes super cheap due to injuries, I'd roll the dice. Don't forget about guys like Jaso and Iannetta in OBP leagues.

I like your SPs good enough that if you can back them up with one more 10-15 dollar guy, I think you can get $2-$5 guys for the rest of your spots. Even in a 10-team league I think you can still roster a Wade Davis or Andrew Miller or other great ratio guy in one of your pitcher slots.

Comment

I wouldn't spend 70 on Trout. I would probably target Ellsbury and Pujols with that money or close to that money. One catcher league I would try to snag Gattis then McCann. If they both go too high I agree with JC and would roll the dice on Wieters. If he goes too high I bale on that plan a get Iannetta (should be cheap).

You have plenty of money I would grab one more good arm looking for one of the top 10 available. My last 2 spots would be $2 and $1 end gamers.

Comment

Thanks guys, this is all helpful stuff.

OBP might even be overvalued in this league - guys like Shin Soo Choo have gone for big bucks. Studs seem to go for 40+ but I'm not sure anyone's ever broken $50. Last year Miggy was kept at $49, Cano went for $44, Bautista $39 (I think he was battling an injury), Longoria $39, Beltre $37. The top catchers were Santana $27, Mauer $23, McCann $20, Weiters $17 and I ended up with Dioner Navarro for $1 who I stuck with all year.

Comment

Well, here's how it worked out:

C - McCann ($18)
          1B - Pujols ($33)
          2B - Pedroia ($22)
          3B - Longoria ($26)
          SS - Danny Santana ($10)
          CI - B. Butler ($14)
          MI - Schoop ($6)
          OF - George Springer ($5)
          OF - JD Martinez ($10)
          OF - Rusney Castillo ($10)

OF - J. Hamilton ($5)
          Util - Napoli ($16)

P - Hisashi Iwakuma ($16)
          P - Carlos Carrasco ($1)
          P - Colin McHugh ($10)
          P - Cody Allen ($8)

P - Verlander ($12)
          P - Hahn ($13)
          P - D. Norris ($9)
          P - Eovaldi ($5)
          P - Gallardo ($3)

Bench - Victorino ($5)
          Bench - Miguel Castro ($1)

Ended up with quite a few former studs, now I just have to hope father time hasn't caught up with all of them. Should've used the money I spent on Verlander and Hahn (his price got inflated because it was toward the end of the draft when everyone realized they were going to have too much money left over) and rolled the dice on someone like Tanaka ($16) and maybe Andrew Miller ($9). Just couldn't pull the trigger on any of the closers available who all went for between $15-20. Overall I think my offense should be quite good although I'll be light on steals and maybe OBP. My pitching seemingly has plenty of upside but guys like Norris and Hahn could blow up in my face also. Thanks to those who chimed in, it definitely helped!

Comment

Like the overall results (esp the veterans you added at reasonable prices). Would look to move or dump Verlander and Gallardo; you have enough talent without them (really like the rotation aside from those two) and I fear they could torpedo your era/whip. Probably a bit light with only one closer given that it's a 10-team league.

What's up with $5 on Hamilton? Thought he was out for the year.

Comment

No, his suspension hasn't been announced yet and his shoulder should be healed by then. Sounds like it'll be 25 games which is how many he would miss from his injury anyway.

Comment

Working...
              X