Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with my NL only reserve round draft pick.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with my NL only reserve round draft pick.

NL only 5x5 $260 budget. 13 reserve picks draft style.

After our auction we hold our reserve draft. I have the second overall pick. This is a deep league and most of the big names are already on a roster.

I have been under the excited assumption since the end of the season that I would be taking Schwarber with this pick. It was well known that the #1 pick would be Addison Russell.

Now it looks like Hector Olivera will sign in the NL. It is doubtful that he will be on the roster by this weekends auction to bid on. That means he will be available for the first pick.

If that happens I am sure he will be taken with that #1 pick.

That would leave me a choice between Russell and Schwarber. I am not concerned in the least with who gets to the bigs first. Castro is blocking Russell. Schwarber may not make it as catcher.

Which one would you prefer for the long term upside?

Russell, though I'd hardly be disappointed with either of them. I could see him hitting lead off in a couple years with a monster lineup behind him.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Addison Russell is the easy call for me

Comment

Russell. Of all the guys they have I think he's the purest SS. I think they find a place for him, even if Castro changes positions.

Comment

I am thinking that the first round pick may still take Russell.

That would leave me to choose between Olivera and Schwarber with the second overall pick. That pick becomes $15 when activated. Can keep for 3 years at that price. I am a Cubs homer and a homer homer. I am not sure I can pass on Schwarber to take Olivera at value.

I guess the good thing is I do not have to make the decision until after the auction.

Would any of you pass on Olivera to take Schwarber in a keeper league?

Comment

I have a similar situation in my league. Deep NL draft with few interesting clear-cut players to be picked in reserve.

Addison Russell will surely be the #1 pick.

After that how would you guys rank these three...

J.P.Crawford
            Kyle Schwarber
            Julio Urias

The key rule here is that a player picked starts out with a $5 salary, but every year a player doesn't reach the majors, you add +$3. So you might otherwise say Urias should be the top of that list, but if he doesn't come up for 2 years, he's $11 instead of $5 and for a pitcher that's not quite as attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I am thinking that the first round pick may still take Russell.

That would leave me to choose between Olivera and Schwarber with the second overall pick. That pick becomes $15 when activated. Can keep for 3 years at that price. I am a Cubs homer and a homer homer. I am not sure I can pass on Schwarber to take Olivera at value.

I guess the good thing is I do not have to make the decision until after the auction.

Would any of you pass on Olivera to take Schwarber in a keeper league?
              No, you have to take Olivera if he's there...
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by YourPalChrisMal View Post
                I have a similar situation in my league. Deep NL draft with few interesting clear-cut players to be picked in reserve.

Addison Russell will surely be the #1 pick.

After that how would you guys rank these three...

J.P.Crawford
                Kyle Schwarber
                Julio Urias

The key rule here is that a player picked starts out with a $5 salary, but every year a player doesn't reach the majors, you add +$3. So you might otherwise say Urias should be the top of that list, but if he doesn't come up for 2 years, he's $11 instead of $5 and for a pitcher that's not quite as attractive.
                Urias

Schwarber

Crawford

We use our reserve draft to stash some high talent for future use. This has caused some pretty heavy inflation over the years. In the old days the players that were years away were taken down the list. As the years went by they have crept up much higher in the draft order. It is more important to get the best talent (for trading too) and wait a few years than to get a free middle of the road talent that may help you this year. Prospects have big value in our league.

Comment

Working...
                X