No announcement yet.

Strategy for Little Money in Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I enjoy the freedom and the challenge of having only a little money to buy a good number of players. You have to game and scheme and work really hard to squeeze the most value out of every dollar. You can't just push a big stack around the table...you have to be clever.

It always amps me up, gets the juices flowing. You'll have a ball.

Comment

I think a lot of it depends on who your keepers are. Are you set in any categories with them, or do you still need to find guys who can help in all categories?
      Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
      We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
        I think a lot of it depends on who your keepers are. Are you set in any categories with them, or do you still need to find guys who can help in all categories?
        he's good on power; OK in SB/R. it's pitching he needs mostly.

positionally he has to fill C, MI (all 3), 2XOF, U. 6 pitcher slots open.

it's the pitching that's going to be tough, IMHO...
        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
          he's good on power; OK in SB/R. it's pitching he needs mostly.

positionally he has to fill C, MI (all 3), 2XOF, U. 6 pitcher slots open.

it's the pitching that's going to be tough, IMHO...
          Good analysis. I kept power guys (Encarnacion, Adam Jones, Pedro Alvarez, Ortiz, Nelson Cruz). I need the positions you mentioned, except I need two MIs and one CI, not three MIs. I do have two top pitchers (Price and Hamels) and a low priced mid range SP (Duffy), but you are right, I need more pitching.

Comment

The good thing is that there is always pitching available, at the auction and afterwards. Somebody came up with a stat for that, something like 50% of pitching value isn't on any roster after the auction. I hope you have a liberal FAAB policy.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
              Good analysis. I kept power guys (Encarnacion, Adam Jones, Pedro Alvarez, Ortiz, Nelson Cruz). I need the positions you mentioned, except I need two MIs and one CI, not three MIs. I do have two top pitchers (Price and Hamels) and a low priced mid range SP (Duffy), but you are right, I need more pitching.
              Pitching is the easiest thing to get...your only problems are going to be saves and speed, with saves being the biggest one. Tough to be competitive when you get only a point or two in an 18 team league...that's a lot of points to make up.
              "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
              - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
              -Warren Ellis

Comment

I almost always am in this position. I believe in keeping good value players, even if the auction-available money is a problem. You do have to make clear priorities about where and on whom you spend your money, though. But, if a bargain falls into your lap, you need to be willing to get it and sort it out afterwards. That happened early in the auction this year with Kimbrel: I thought I had no chance at the top closer on the board, but for some reason, he went at a reasonable price and I spent a good chunk of my dollars with a smile on my face. Be flexible.
                Bearin' up!

Comment

Working...
                X