Strategy for Little Money in Auction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy for Little Money in Auction

I've read many of the articles on auction strategy, but they all begin with the assumption that you have a typical amount of money to be used in the auction. In RJEL this year, I've kept several high priced guys, enough that I only have $69 for 18ish players (including reserves) in the auction. I'm interested in the Pen's thoughts on strategy here:

-Do I simply and unofficially sit out the first 2/3 of the auction?

-Do I nominate the high priced guys to get money off the table?

-Do I go after end game targets early in order to try to get them since other teams won't want to yet fill out those roster spots?

Are your reserves bid on?

We never sit out during an auction. Each one takes on a life of it's own.

Absolutely get some money taken out of the auction the first few rounds.

As far as endgame targets go, I would hope that you would have your open spots tiered so you know where you stand at each position. Tiers, knowing the opponents needs and money left to spend will help you know how best to spend. You can try to slip and end game guy in but I still think if you do it early you will get out priced.

Comment

Yeah, I'd focus on nominating the best available player in each round to 'drain the pool.'

But also be alert - have an inflation-adjusted target price for every player. even a veteran league can let a player slip through the cracks.
      finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
      own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
      won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
      RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
      C Stallings 2, Casali 1
      1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
      OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
        Are your reserves bid on?

We never sit out during an auction. Each one takes on a life of it's own.
        Yes, we bid on reserves.

I didn't mean sit out as in don't participate. I meant sit out as in all of the players sold in the (approximate) first 2/3rds of the auction will be out of my price range.

Comment

I saw that keeper list. I am interested to see how 69 for 18 slots will work out. I am on the other extreme in same league, 237 to spend on 18 slots, including the reserves.

Comment

How many reserves?

Comment

How many reserves?
              5. My 18 players needed comment includes the 5 reserves.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                I've read many of the articles on auction strategy, but they all begin with the assumption that you have a typical amount of money to be used in the auction. In RJEL this year, I've kept several high priced guys, enough that I only have $69 for 18ish players (including reserves) in the auction. I'm interested in the Pen's thoughts on strategy here:

-Do I simply and unofficially sit out the first 2/3 of the auction?

-Do I nominate the high priced guys to get money off the table?

-Do I go after end game targets early in order to try to get them since other teams won't want to yet fill out those roster spots?
                1 - No
                2 - Yes
                3 - No. By tossing guys you want cheap out early, they won't nearly be as cheap as you'd like. Unless of course you're talking about $1 players who most certainly will be $1 at any time during the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrewski View Post
                  5. My 18 players needed comment includes the 5 reserves.
                  Ah, the light just came on. We do our reserves after the auction. You are filling up your reserves during the auction.

I think if I were in your situation I would separate the reserve and handle them in the endgame. I would allow $7 bucks for the 5 positions. 2 2 1 1 1. That leaves $62 for 13 positions. If it is a two catcher league one of the catchers would be a $1 catcher and one of my pitching slots would be a $1 MR. Now I would have $61 for 11 positions. I think this would allow me enough money to get a few good deals along the way.

Good luck.

Comment

I think if I were in your situation I would separate the reserve and handle them in the endgame. I would allow $7 bucks for the 5 positions. 2 2 1 1 1. That leaves $62 for 13 positions. If it is a two catcher league one of the catchers would be a $1 catcher and one of my pitching slots would be a $1 MR. Now I would have $61 for 11 positions. I think this would allow me enough money to get a few good deals along the way.
                    I love this plan. $61 - 11 seems not quite so bad.

Another thing you could do - don't be afraid to buy the first player auctioned. You might actually be at an advantage if others know how little $ you have, someone might say "whoa, he's spending all his money!" and people might drop out early. A penny saved is a penny earned. If the first guy nominated is worth $35 and you get him for $30, why not.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                      I love this plan. $61 - 11 seems not quite so bad.

Another thing you could do - don't be afraid to buy the first player auctioned. You might actually be at an advantage if others know how little $ you have, someone might say "whoa, he's spending all his money!" and people might drop out early. A penny saved is a penny earned. If the first guy nominated is worth $35 and you get him for $30, why not.
                      In this league, the top players available will go for $45-$60, so it seems unlikely he'll be able to nab one of them. $30 players in this league last season were guys like Napoli, Aramis, Zobrist, Ryan Zimmerman, Belt, and someone even splurged $31 on the unknown quantity that was Jose Abreu.

I think if I was in that position, I'd use Gregg's strategy of earmarking 5 spots for $1 and then spreading the wealth among the final 13. My top buy would probably be in the $25 range.

Comment

RJEL is a single catcher league.
                        "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
                          RJEL is a single catcher league.
                          That would not make that much difference in my strategy given the money and players needed.

Comment

I'd say that your best option is to sit in a corner and let the rest of us buy all the good players...and no table talking either!

Honesty, I don't know that there's any viable option other than treat things like you normally would...bid on any player that you think you can get and hope for the best. Obviously you're not going to get Miggy or Cutch, but most others are realistic if you bid right and have a bit of luck.
                            "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                            - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                            -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                              Honesty, I don't know that there's any viable option other than treat things like you normally would...bid on any player that you think you can get and hope for the best. Obviously you're not going to get Miggy or Cutch, but most others are realistic if you bid right and have a bit of luck.
                              Ultimately, I know this probably correct. I just think it's an interesting strategy question because (1) I've never done this before and (2) all (almost all?) of the strategy articles are geared toward the opposite of this scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X