2K11 -- Joakim Soria

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K11 -- Joakim Soria

His velocity is down by 2.5 mph and he's not striking anyone out. Anyone out there worried?

Wasn't his velocity lower last year when the season started, also?
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
      Wasn't his velocity lower last year when the season started, also?
      According to an article on KingsofKauffman.com: "In 2009, he averaged 90.5 mph in five [April] appearances; in 2010 the fastball averaged 92 mph in April."

Right now he's averaging a little less than 89 mph.

Comment

Ah - it was '09 that I remember. His first two appearances had everyone scared then. I'm not going into panic mode unless his velocity stays low through April. You're right, this could be indicative of an arm problem. OTOH, it could be indicative of not enough work during spring training, too.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

One complicating factor here: some time in August last year, he started throwing two distinct speeds of fastballs. One has a little bit more cutting action and is around 4 mph slower. So I guess you could say he has added a cutter (his normal fastball was already almost a cutter). It reminds me a bit of Drew Bailey's fastball/cutter combo. Anyhow, he's throwing the slower of the two pitches a lot more this year than he was in August and September last year. Why he's doing it, I don't know, but you can't simply compare fastball speed from last year to this year without accounting for the change.
          "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I definitely saw a tweet today regarding Soria's new cutter being slower...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
              One complicating factor here: some time in August last year, he started throwing two distinct speeds of fastballs. One has a little bit more cutting action and is around 4 mph slower. So I guess you could say he has added a cutter (his normal fastball was already almost a cutter). It reminds me a bit of Drew Bailey's fastball/cutter combo. Anyhow, he's throwing the slower of the two pitches a lot more this year than he was in August and September last year. Why he's doing it, I don't know, but you can't simply compare fastball speed from last year to this year without accounting for the change.
              Excellent intel, Seitzer. Much obliged. Here's hoping he figures out what works best as soon as possible and revs up into ace-level closer gear.

Comment

Working...
              X