Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the proper hitting/pitching split?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is the proper hitting/pitching split?

I'm not sure what a standard league is anymore but I know mine isnt. We start 15 hitters and 12 pitchers. It looks like we might switch from weekly to daily transactions which means another 3 or so pitchers could be rotated in the lineup. If just looking at the 15/12 thats a 56/44 split so I bumped it up to 64/36 to give hitters more value. Is that too high? I think the values I have for pitchers are incredibly low.
    "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

take the normal 68% spent on pitching and multiply by (15/12)/(14/9). gives you a 55/45 split, as you indicate. that's what i'd go with, personally. bump it up a few % if you want, but 8% is too much IMHO.
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

thanks for the help. I think I might do about 60% and just remember to overpay for a handful of pitching targets.
      "The Times found no pattern of sexual misconduct by Mr. Biden, beyond the hugs, kisses and touching that women previously said made them uncomfortable." -NY Times

"For a woman to come forward in the glaring lights of focus, nationally, you’ve got to start off with the presumption that at least the essence of what she’s talking about is real, whether or not she forgets facts" - Joe Biden

Comment

I have another question... My draft league starts 12 hitters, 8 pitchers, but most teams will use the 8 man bench to hold 5 or 6 (sometimes 8) SP that are rotated in daily. So the real roster composition if you include 2 bench bats is more like 14/14. In years past I've done something like 65/35 and I'm always blown away by how high pitchers are taken. Oh, I forgot to mention, I use auction $ values to help me rank players and cross reference with ADP to find undervalued targets.

Should I go lower than 65/35? This has worked for me in the past but I always find myself building a pitching staff in season through trades (very difficult in this league) and free agents. Mostly FA.

OTOH, its a 13 team mixed, there will be plenty of pitching to be found during the season so perhaps I should just continue doing what I do and load up on bats with my early picks. I've often taken 4 bats, then SP, then 3 or 4 more bats, then a closer. 8 bats in first 10 rounds. After that its a mix of hitting and pitching.

Comment

What was it last year in your league? I looked at AL LABR & they were 70.4/29.6 this year. I can't recall a year where AL Tout was above 70% hitting, but I have a feeling that is going to change this weekend.

Comment

Some year when I am rebuilding I am going to allow $30 for 9 pitching spots and spend the rest (230) on offense. I will fill my reserves with any pitching I can grab and see what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by cardboardbox View Post
              I'm not sure what a standard league is anymore but I know mine isnt. We start 15 hitters and 12 pitchers. It looks like we might switch from weekly to daily transactions which means another 3 or so pitchers could be rotated in the lineup. If just looking at the 15/12 thats a 56/44 split so I bumped it up to 64/36 to give hitters more value. Is that too high? I think the values I have for pitchers are incredibly low.
              If the total standings points for hitting and pitching are split 50/50 i'm not sure the number of each should matter. If there were 3 hitters and 12 pitchers you should still spend more on hitting. At least I think
              ---------------------------------------------
              Champagne for breakfast and a Sherman in my hand !
              ---------------------------------------------
              The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command.
              George Orwell, 1984

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                Some year when I am rebuilding I am going to allow $30 for 9 pitching spots and spend the rest (230) on offense. I will fill my reserves with any pitching I can grab and see what happens.
                besides having to sober up afterward?
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by GwynnInTheHall View Post
                  besides having to sober up afterward?
                  Well that would only be step 1.

Step 2 would be to commence to trading.

Comment

Originally posted by Moonlight J View Post
                    What was it last year in your league? I looked at AL LABR & they were 70.4/29.6 this year. I can't recall a year where AL Tout was above 70% hitting, but I have a feeling that is going to change this weekend.
                    Its a snake draft, I just use $ value to help rank players. Last year I couldnt get the SP I wanted because they all went multiple rounds earlier than I wanted.

Comment

Working...
                    X