Question about Changing Auction Dynamic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about Changing Auction Dynamic

For the last couple of weeks, I have been operating under the assumption that there would be a lot of upper/mid-tier SP talent in this year's auction for my 16 team mixed points league. However, our league keepers are due in a few days, and a series of recent trades and keeper announcements have surprised me with the reality that many of the arms I thought would be tossed back in the auction are being kept.

These are all pitchers acquired in last year's auction at a reasonable cost, but not at real bargain prices. For years, this league, as a whole, has generally NOT kept SPs in this category. Most in this league instead chose to keep hitters in that value range, and roll the dice on really cheap SP keepers with upside and question marks rather than commit auction dollars to nearly at cost sort of pricey SPs. I have generally capitalized on this, and snagged reasonably priced mid-tier arms like Ian Kennedy, Anibal Sanchez, Gio Gonzalez, James Shields, etc. But it looks like that won't be an option for me this year. Maybe this is all in response to my success the last couple of years capitalizing on the value of slightly below value mid-tier pitching, or pricey but undervalued top tier pitching, IDK. Whatever caused this, the auction is going to be thinner on SPs than it has been in a long time.

So my question is, how should I respond to this market change? Should I spend even more than I planned to land the one true ace left--Scherzer? Should I change course on a strategy that has served me very well for many years in this league (two titles in the last 4 years)--spending more on high end SPs than the rest of the league, and go after the value that will now arise in the hitters in the auction? The problem with this strategy for me is that, anticipating that there would be a lot of SP talent in the auction, I've traded most of my SP keepers for hitter keepers. I've traded pricey but below value arms--Felix, Cole Hamels, Jon Lester--for hitters so that now, almost all of my starting hitter spots are filled (we keep 15 players). But maybe I should still try to land cheap hitters and then try to trade them to teams who overspent on pitching? What would you do in your league if everyone decided to zag when you thought they would zig, and you are left needing the one thing everyone has decided to keep?

I should clarify that it isn't like everyone has decided to keep overpriced arms, it is just that everyone has decided to keep their slightly undervalued arms. Maybe in response to each other, like a run on SPs in a draft format. Whatever the case is, it looks like everyone has decided to switch from underspending on top end SPs to underspending on hitters right when I need SPs and don't need hitters.

So, do I capitalize on the shift and target value in the hitters, even though they'd sit on my bench, or do I spend whatever I have to do address my auction need--SPs, hoping that since so many were kept, I'll be able to snag the few remaining options at affordable prices?
    Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-12-2015, 01:28 PM.

Comment

I'd be tempted to NOT change strategy. If a bunch of SP are kept, yes, fewer SP are available, but also, fewer owners need SP (if an owner is keeping a stud SP, he's probably planning that his biggest purchase will be a hitter).

How bad is it...after Scherzer, who are the top 4 SP that will be available in auction?

Comment

Still get Scherzer if his price is reasonable and you think you need him. However, the big advantage that you have in a points league is that points are points. So if you just want to get a crapload of hitters, and your team ends up a little unbalanced, I would imagine it's less bad than it would be in roto.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          ... So my question is, how should I respond to this market change? Should I spend even more than I planned to land the one true ace left--Scherzer? Should I change course on a strategy that has served me very well for many years in this league (two titles in the last 4 years)--spending more on high end SPs than the rest of the league, and go after the value that will now arise in the hitters in the auction?
          excellent question/scenario. IMO, a modified version of the above - yes, I would be prepared to spend on the slightly cheaper mid-tier hitting that should surface as a result, while focusing on building a pitching staff of your preferred mid-low tier SPs ... my experience is that when teams spend money to keep top & mid-tier pitchers they know they'll have to spend their remaining money on hitting; as a result they leave their last 2-3 SP spots to the end game - dollar or two dollar SPs. As such, bargains can be had in the $5-10 range.

The problem of course with this strategy is that even if you get bargains on all your SPs, at the end of your auction you have 4 or 5 SPs who are probably at best $10-$15 SPs. So as you've already suggested, be ready to wheel & deal any SPs who get off to a hot start - don't develop emotional attachments to the $6 guy who starts 5-0 ... send him off with some hitting for some high inning, high security type guys.
          It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
            I'd be tempted to NOT change strategy. If a bunch of SP are kept, yes, fewer SP are available, but also, fewer owners need SP (if an owner is keeping a stud SP, he's probably planning that his biggest purchase will be a hitter).

How bad is it...after Scherzer, who are the top 4 SP that will be available in auction?
            Pickings are really slim. The next four will probably be Ian Kennedy, Anibal Sanchez, Smyly, if th injury scares his owner in to cutting him, and then down into the Brandon McCarthy territory. Typing this out really makes.me want to break the bank on max.

Comment

How much money do you have to spend at auction vs. the other teams?

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                How much money do you have to spend at auction vs. the other teams?
                I have half my money left, which is generally average, but this year it looks to be better than average.
                Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-12-2015, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Nominate Scherzer early. If you like his price, jump on it. If not, you'll know you can redeploy money elsewhere.

Comment

Working...
                  X