Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which current mlb players are going to the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which current mlb players are going to the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Just wondering what thoughts are regarding current (or 2011 retirees) players for making it to Cooperstown?

Ivan Rodiguez?
    Chipper Jones?
    Derek Jeter?
    Albert Pujols
    Marino Rivera
    Alex Rodiguez
    Jim Thome??

Who else am I over looking?

Maybe Votto and King Felix if they keep producing where they are now?

And I assume Manny has just blown his chance?

minnehan

Roy Halladay, IMO, will certainly make it.
    I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Way too early to even include Votto and Felix in this discussion. The rest of your list is definitely HOF worthy.

Ichiro and Vlad Guerreo are locks. Scott Rolen & Todd Helton are borderline. Roy Halladay will be close to a lock with another three or so of his typical seasons.

I think a few solid vets on the downside fall just short of being HOF-worthy, like Posada, C. Carpenter, Berkman, Abreu & Beltran.

A few other vets can get there with 5+ more quality seasons, like Dunn, Crawford, Sabathia, Teixeira & Mauer.

Comment

Pedro if he decides to pitch again this year
        Trevor Hoffman
        Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

The current active career Wins leaders, per bb-ref

Wakefield 193
          Halladay 170
          THudson 167
          LHernandez 166
          Lowe 158
          Sabathia 157
          Colon 153
          Vazquez 152
          Oswalt 151
          Buehrle 149

One of only 2 or 3 years ever, I think, with baseball being played and no 200-W pitchers around.

The No. 4 guy is someone who hasn't been drafted in some NL-only leagues like mine for many years.

Arthur Rhodes is the 8th-winningest active lefty, with 84 W
          Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-09-2011, 10:09 PM.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by minnehan View Post
            And I assume Manny has just blown his chance?
            Remains to be seen, I think. If Clemens, Palmiero and Bonds get in, then how can you rule out Manny? Manny has only been caught with masking agents (I think even this time they were not saying PEDs). Others have been caught pretty much red-handed. If they get in, Manny should get in.

Personally, if I had a vote I wouldn't vote for anyone who was caught with any PEDs. I don't think that's going to happen, though.

Oh, if you want to talk about players who don't really have a full resume like Votto and Felix, then I'd throw in Ryan Howard as well. He's not there yet, but he's as much there as Votto is. You can throw Ryan Braun in there too. But, I think it's just way too early to be talking about Cooperstown for a lot of these guys. Let's see how they sustain over time.

And almost forgot: I'd throw Lincecum in there too. He is definitely off to a HoF career.

Comment

Even absent the PED issue, Manny was no shoe in. Bonds and Clemons were no bainers, but Manny was just an A-hole slugger, playing parks that pad his stats, with minimal defensive value. I think there is little doubt he would have made it, but with some grumbling. So, the issue becomes how big a handicap do you make the PEDs, rather than should they be a bar.

J
              Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Right, Manny Ramirez is one of the best hitters in baseball history. There is no Hall small enough that he doesn't get in - if on-field performance is the only requirement.

He finished in the top 10 in the AL in OPS+ - adjusting for park and the league's hitting environment - for 12 consecutive seasons. Starting in 1999, he finished 1 2 3 2 2 4 6 2, in order.

He can safely be docked a significant amount for his defense/DHing, but that just moves from the highest reaches to the next-highest reaches.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17

Comment

Do we even know what he tested positive for this time?

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                    Do we even know what he tested positive for this time?
                    Does it really matter?

He is a cheater.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabegriffey View Post
                      Does it really matter?

He is a cheater.
                      I thought these new suspension guide lines included any type of drug. So if he was smoking pot, then yeah, I'd say it makes a difference.

Comment

Not sure if that's true, but guessing that this positive test is for something like pot is extraordinarily naive, I would suggest.

C Stallings 2, Casali 1

Comment

Originally posted by Silentmist View Post
                          I thought these new suspension guide lines included any type of drug. So if he was smoking pot, then yeah, I'd say it makes a difference.
                          Actually, it doesn't matter what he was caught with in his blood. The idiot already has at least twice, to public knowledge, been caught cheating.

Comment

Actually, it doesn't matter what he was caught with in his blood. The idiot already has at least twice, to public knowledge, been caught cheating.
                            Are you saying that no player who cheated should be in the Hall?

Comment

They've tested him positive for a fertility drug. I'm not saying he isn't cheating, but you can't discount what he's done. I personally believe Mantle had more steroids injected in to his body then Bonds and Canseco combined, how else did he play through so many injuries? Once again, not that it can be proved. The first KNOWN steroid use in athletics was in 1954, right in the middle of when Mantle's era began.

We don't want to believe those sorts of players are the bad guys right? How about Aaron? Amphetamine era? But once again, they didn't ban you for it, so you'll gladly choose to be naive about the subject. If we want to go really far back, the first steroids were rumored to be used by the Nazi's in the 30's. I'd even believe HGH has been around a lot longer than people wish to believe as well (developed in 1981).

I'd also like to see some scientific testing done on steroids helping someone actually hit a baseball. It sure didn't help Alex Sanchez. Guys like Manny and Bonds didn't gain the ability to sit back and wait on a change up left up in the zone by sticking a needle in their ass. All the writers and traditionalist need to get over it and accept drugs as a part of the sport.

If it is that easy, why aren't you cranking out 800 HR by juicing?

As for players that cheat, you're damn right Pete Rose, Whitey Ford, and Gaylord Perry belong in the Hall.

Comment

Working...
                              X