SP/RP balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP/RP balance

I was looking at the new Fangraphs Auction Calculator and put in the criteria for my 10-team NL-only league. It says that of the 90 pitchers that should be taken (i.e. that cost $1 or more according to the calculator), exactly half are SPs and half are RPs. For example, guys it thinks should not be chosen include Leake, Cashner, Minor, HAlvarez, and Latos; instead you should get Strop, Diekman, Bastardo, Oliver Perez (!), or Eveland.

I'm pretty sure I have never intentionally had a staff of 4 SP, 3 MR, 2 CL (or worse yet 4/4/1), and it feels like that would do well in the ratio categories and get rocked in W/K. Is that kind of balance a good way to do medium-well but a terrible way to win?
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

addendum: I see in a Q&A this question, which I guess helps if you know about it:

I’m in a 12 team league with traditional 5×5 scoring and shallow rosters (3 OF, 2 UTIL, no MI or CI, 6 P and 4 bench slots.) I’m having an issue understanding the pitcher values I’m getting. I tried two different settings in the calculator–one i entered 6 generic P, the other I tried 4 SP and 2 RP. RP values are way high when I enter 6 generic P and seem about what I would expect when I break it down by 4 SP and 2 RP. Any idea what’s going on there? Which setting will give the most reliable values?

Brad Johnson says:
    March 2, 2015 at 12:28 pm
    Use the 4/2 split, otherwise it optimizes with no regard to IP. The system is basically deciding that you’ll lose ERA and WHIP if you use SP. It’s also assuming everyone else will reach the same conclusion, thus inflating RP values.
    In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

It really depends on the make up of your league. Is it daily or weekly line ups?
      If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
      Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

I'm actually strongly considering going with only 5 SPs this season since I already have Felix, Stras, and Carrasco. I'm going to get two high-K closers and two high-K MRs. Closers are generally undervalued and MRs are rarely drafted at all. I'm expecting I'll be middle of the pack in Ks, and will hopefully dominate both ratios. An added benefit is one of the dominant MRs (e.g., Giles, BoxBoxberger, Miller) will step into a closer role at some point to become keeper gold. I got Jansen for a buck two years ago and he was the centerpiece of a dump trade last season that helped ensure my victory. I'm going value picks for my other two SPs since I know I'll be able to find decent replacements later on.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

In an only I think 5 SP is fine since if you are in contention you can always trade for a 6th - vs. starting with 6 and that last starter killing your ratios. In general this is what I do and find the value of strong relievers pretty high in only league. In my 12-team AL with daily lineup changes the premium on relievers is even higher.

Comment

Working...
          X