Cashman is an idiot.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cashman is an idiot.

Which is just a polite way of saying a**hole.

At the risk of stirring up Kohm (whose opinions I value on everything non-Yankee related), this idea of retiring the position of Team Captain of the Yankees is just so much nonsense, and another example of the recency bias which pervades society in general and sports in particular. Will the Yankees never, ever have need of another Captain? Does Cashman have that kind of pipeline to the future?

While we're at it, let's go ahead and give Mike Trout the Triple Crown, the MVP, and put him in the Hall of Fame. I can feel it.

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
    Which is just a polite way of saying a**hole.

At the risk of stirring up Kohm (whose opinions I value on everything non-Yankee related), this idea of retiring the position of Team Captain of the Yankees is just so much nonsense, and another example of the recency bias which pervades society in general and sports in particular. Will the Yankees never, ever have need of another Captain? Does Cashman have that kind of pipeline to the future?

While we're at it, let's go ahead and give Mike Trout the Triple Crown, the MVP, and put him in the Hall of Fame. I can feel it.
    The idea of a "Captain" in baseball was stupid to begin with...getting rid of something totally unnecessary doesn't bother me at all.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
      The idea of a "Captain" in baseball was stupid to begin with...getting rid of something totally unnecessary doesn't bother me at all.
      Good point. Maybe they will say "we're doing away with this because it is stupid", rather than "nobody can ever be the Cap'n that Jeter was".

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        Good point. Maybe they will say "we're doing away with this because it is stupid", rather than "nobody can ever be the Cap'n that Jeter was".
        Fingers crossed, but being that it's the Yankees, highly unlikely...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

i don't care much either way myself, but i'm curious why you don't like a captain in baseball, horns? they have them in hockey, football, basketball - are they useless there too? i dunno - i could go either way. if players were adults then nobody would need the formality of a title like that. unfortunately they're not all adults (or don't behave so) so maybe it helps?
          "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Seems like hockey is the only sport where the players absolutely treasure being named Captain - they put that C on the jersey, and given the militaristic vibe of the sport, it's like having a combat medal pinned on.

A caller to WFAN NY sports talk radio today, a Yankees fan no less, said that Jeter stuck up for Pettitte and Giambi re their PED use, but let A-Rod drown in a wave of criticism - thus making him a poor captain because he didn't stand up for a criticized teammate out of his own selfish animosity. I assume the caller has been sent to a re-education camp - or executed. At least they cut him off before he could mention forgetting to volunteer to move off SS when a far better defender (A-Rod) arrived.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
              i don't care much either way myself, but i'm curious why you don't like a captain in baseball, horns? they have them in hockey, football, basketball - are they useless there too? i dunno - i could go either way. if players were adults then nobody would need the formality of a title like that. unfortunately they're not all adults (or don't behave so) so maybe it helps?
              They serve no real function in baseball. In hockey, that are the guys who deal with the Refs and keep the room in line, in soccer and other sports, they actually serve as something akin to an assistant to the coach/manager. In football, they at least get to call the coin flip... The guys in the locker-room know who to go to for advise, they don't need to have an official designation by management to make it so...

-Warren Ellis

Comment

I was hoping this was about Moncada

Comment

That's interesting about hockey and dealing with the officials. I know that in high school basketball only the captain can approach the officials about an issue, and I think college is the same. I thought there were other sports in which the captain had official functions.

Man, somebody must have spiked my Crown with a little soju.

Comment

I couldn't tell you if the Giants have a Captain......
                    "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Originally posted by Fresno Bob View Post
                      I couldn't tell you if the Giants have a Captain......
                      Same with the Phillies. I couldn't name the captain of any other baseball team in MLB. If the Phillies had one I assume it would be Utley, and I also assume Utley would hate the distinction.
                      I'm not expecting to grow flowers in the desert...

Comment

Considering there's only one active captain in all of baseball -- David Wright of the NY Mets -- what's the big deal?

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                          Considering there's only one active captain in all of baseball -- David Wright of the NY Mets -- what's the big deal?
                          That you damn New Yorkers think you're better than us

Comment

Working...
                          X