2K15: Kole Calhoun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2K15: Kole Calhoun

I am really bullish on Kole Calhoun this year. He was really productive in less than 500 ABs year and profiles as an interesting leadoff hitter as a guy without great speed. Probably won't swipe more than 10-12 bags but should have good counting stats atop the Angels lineup.
    Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

He's misplaced as lead off. Only fair speed and mediocre discipline. Even that is deceptive. He walks more against LHP. Against RHP he's a hacker--29 BB and 79 K in 390 AB, but 15 HR and .467 SLG. Ideally he bats 5th, behind Pujols. That said, it seems to be where he landed in the lineup. Trout and Pujols get the RBI slots. Calhoun and Aybar get 1 and 2.

I own him in a keeper league, but I think it is sell high time.

J
    Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Wow! Ok...I need to re-evaluate maybe. He's definitely miscast in the leadoff role. I will take the more aggressive approach vs. RHP given what the trade off is in XBH. He's about leave average in contact and a bit below on BB% but seems to be pretty useful in 4 categories.
      Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

Originally posted by onejayhawk View Post
        He's misplaced as lead off. Only fair speed and mediocre discipline. Even that is deceptive. He walks more against LHP. Against RHP he's a hacker--29 BB and 79 K in 390 AB, but 15 HR and .467 SLG. Ideally he bats 5th, behind Pujols. That said, it seems to be where he landed in the lineup. Trout and Pujols get the RBI slots. Calhoun and Aybar get 1 and 2.

I own him in a keeper league, but I think it is sell high time.

J
        I disagree. You're only quoting his 2014 MLB stats. His career MLB splits are very close- .272/.333/.456 vs RHPs, .271/.330/.411 vs. LHPs. But his minor league stats tell a clearer story: .320/.403, but in three of his four full seasons, he had a .410+ OBP. with an average of 13 SBs. If his power stays stable, at 15-20 HRs, his on-base prowess and run scoring ability is probably what the Angels see.

Moving him down in the order, as you say, could make him more valuable.

If you're selling I'm buying!

Comment

He runs like 1B. In over 800 major league PA he has 8 SB. Having 20 SB in A ball is 20 SB in A ball, when he was 23. He's now 27, so his peak value is probably here. His career slash line is .271/.329/.446 in over 800 PA. I think that speaks for itself. Salt Lake is a hitters paradise compared to the Big A. The home park is another thing to consider.

Fantasypros consensus ranking is 75, 27th OF. That may be fair. I dont think he's undervalued. His ADP is lower, about 100. At that rank he has value.

J
          Last edited by onejayhawk; 03-07-2015, 04:30 AM.
          Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Working...
          X