Crazy Keeper Idea...It Came To Me In A Dream

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
    I play with long time sharks. I have done it both ways. Having the UT spot open is much preferred. I do not use it to get people to pay for $3 players. I use it to take dollars out of the game. This year I am going in with Abreu, Seager, and Beltre as keepers. You can bet I will be using my UT spot to throw out Fielder, LaRoche, Sandoval, Pearce as early and often as I can. If one goes too cheap I will be happy to roster them. It is not that I think they will slip through, but I want to make sure that they go for more than book value. That means the earlier the better.

Given your situation without seeing the other rosters and money left to spend, I probably keep Norris and trade Posey or drop him and spend the money elsewhere.
    Just for the sake of discussion, how do you do that? Obviously, everybody wants to grab a player to keep them from going too cheap. But how to you make sure that veteran, disciplined owners pay more than book value? I think this is one of these strategies that people started peddling about a dozen years ago when everyone was writing "Win Your League" books, but if you are playing with owners who understand that value is value, they are not going to overpay by $10 just because they get excited at the start of the auction.

Here's my point...unless guys are overspending (and I know of no reliable way to make sure they do unless you are playing with patsies) when you take dollars out of the auction you are also taking value out of the auction.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
      Agree across the board. I think I'd toss Posey back but check for some bites first.
      Starting to lean this way pretty strongly.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
        Just for the sake of discussion, how do you do that? Obviously, everybody wants to grab a player to keep them from going too cheap. But how to you make sure that veteran, disciplined owners pay more than book value? I think this is one of these strategies that people started peddling about a dozen years ago when everyone was writing "Win Your League" books, but if you are playing with owners who understand that value is value, they are not going to overpay by $10 just because they get excited at the start of the auction.

Here's my point...unless guys are overspending (and I know of no reliable way to make sure they do unless you are playing with patsies) when you take dollars out of the auction you are also taking value out of the auction.
        One strategy is to figure out areas of value where demand is greater than supply. For example, in my league there are only 2 bona fide aces that weren't kept (Price and Scherzer) but at least four teams that will need an ace to compete (this is of course my opinion). As defending champion, I plan to toss one of them first, hoping that their prices will be inflated. It's always that obvious but there are going to be gaps in any player pool that should in theory create inefficiencies, so one critical pre-auction task is to identify those gaps and then exploit them during the auction.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
          One strategy is to figure out areas of value where demand is greater than supply. For example, in my league there are only 2 bona fide aces that weren't kept (Price and Scherzer) but at least four teams that will need an ace to compete (this is of course my opinion). As defending champion, I plan to toss one of them first, hoping that their prices will be inflated. It's always that obvious but there are going to be gaps in any player pool that should in theory create inefficiencies, so one critical pre-auction task is to identify those gaps and then exploit them during the auction.
          I understand that, and I agree, especially depending upon what your auction pool looks like. When there are a limited number of studs, strategy plays a big part. But in those auctions where you have $2300-$2500 to be spent and 200 players to be purchased, I still maintain the story is different.

Comment

it's only a game. if you like the idea, go for it.
            it's debatable but not ridiculous.
            finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
            own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
            won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
            RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
            C Stallings 2, Casali 1
            1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
            OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
              Yeah, there are a bunch of "strategies" that don't really work with a savvy group of experienced owners. You cannot make other owners pay more than book value. You can price enforce, but I wouldn't recommend it - get stuck with guys you don't want too often. I think that Gregg is talking about sort of a modified price enforcer strategy --- enforce prices on the guys that you wouldn't mind rostering but would prefer that other teams blow their wads on. You can, however, try and throw out guys that you don't need early in the auction when everyone still has money. That should help with the price. Another "strategy" I often hear is to throw out a stud that you want as the very first throw of the auction, since, as the theory goes, folks are reluctant to spend big right off the bat. Maybe that works with newbies but not in a competitive group.
              I have seen that work with more veteran groups. I also have seen a little lag near the end of the first round of nominations. Sometimes you can get a little bit of a bargain just as people come back from a break. I wouldn't call these strategies so much as tendencies I've observed. I think throwing out guys you don't want sometimes works, not so much for drawing out money, but for narrowing down the potential bidders.. The down side is that if that position starts getting scarce, the competition might get stiffer. Sometimes if I have the closer(s) I want, I'll nominate closers for a while, but it doesn't seem to change their price. Mostly it gives me time to figure out what I want to do next.

The most strategy I use is figuring out what positions I'll have open and how much money I'll have left relative to the other guys in the end game. If it is close, I'll keep up with the nominating order, so I'll know that if I throw for a buck, nobody can go $2.

Comment

I think I'll target Posey in the first round................
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Keeping your UT slot open can also insure that you never leave more than a buck on the table and get the best player available in the end game. It allows to bid the extra buck somewhere in the auction.

Comment

As long as you have the flexibility to move Posey around, it's not a bad strategy although I agree with others that he probably won't go for more than a few dollars more at auction.

Auction drafts are fascinating to me - the strategy, the timing, trying to read other owners. In my NL-only league it seemed that too often the high-priced players would go for too little at the beginning of the auction so one year I decided to load up on studs at the beginning. After the first round I had spent something like $110 on Kershaw, Kemp, and AGon which would've worked out okay last year, but in this case it was one of Kemp's injury-plagued years so I ended up in 9th place or something. It may not bite you in the butt to have your utility spot filled early, but you might be kicking yourself when that sleeper you wanted ends up going for $1 at the end of the auction when your flexibility is limited.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't decided whether to keep Posey or not, but I am going to keep my UT open. I'm still interested in the three cheap catchers ploy, though, should the opportunity arise. I've got Salty for a buck, too, but he doesn't really work in my business.

Comment

Working...
                      X