Prospect Ranking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prospect Ranking

In my league we have a prospect draft after the regular draft concludes. Each team selects 1 player in the prospect draft and their contract is free for the first year (but not eligible for the major league roster), $2/2nd year, $5/3rd year and $10/4th year.

Based on our league's history and the current keepers, I have a feeling these are the prospects that are going to be available. I have the 4th pick so how would you rank the top 5 or so of the following? Offensive categories include OPS.

Rusney Castillo
    Yoan Moncado
    Yasmani Tomas
    Jung Ho Kang
    Steven Souza
    Joey Gallo
    Corey Seager
    Carlos Correa
    Julio Urias
    James Paxton
    Olivera

Some of the people already kept from previous prospect drafts: Bryant, Buxton, Sano, Pederson, Soler, Addison Russell and Aaron Sanchez.

Rusney Castillo, Yasmani Tomas, Jung Ho Kang, Steven Souza, James Paxton and probably Olivera will be in the majors to start the year, so I would expect them to already be drafted. From what's left, you probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I would probably rank them as follows:

Carlos Correa
    Corey Seager
    Yoan Moncado
    Joey Gallo
    Julio Urias

Comment

Originally posted by Ryno84MVP View Post
      Rusney Castillo, Yasmani Tomas, Jung Ho Kang, Steven Souza, James Paxton and probably Olivera will be in the majors to start the year, so I would expect them to already be drafted. From what's left, you probably can't go wrong with any of them, but I would probably rank them as follows:

Carlos Correa
      Corey Seager
      Yoan Moncado
      Joey Gallo
      Julio Urias
      Ryno - thank you. If Castillo, Tomas, Kang, etc. don't get drafted is it safe to assume you'd have them ranked higher than Correa/Seager?

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Ryno - thank you. If Castillo, Tomas, Kang, etc. don't get drafted is it safe to assume you'd have them ranked higher than Correa/Seager?
        Being free for the first year, and only $2 for the second, I would not rank any of those guys ahead Seager or Urias. I think both will be up next year. Correa is a tougher call, as he might not be up next year, but his upside is such, I'd rank him ahead of the those older ready now guys too. If it were my pick, I'd take Urias, Seager, Correa ahead of everyone else. Urias is so young, sorta small, and has one wonky eye, but the buzz on him is insane. Scouts love him more than their own families. If the Dodgers don't find room for him and Seager by June 2016, I'd be really surprised.

In fact, if I understand your system right, you can't even call up Castillo, Tomas, etc if you draft them as minor leaguers, which really undercuts the only value they have over the younger guys--that they can contribute for you this year. If I am reading that right, it is a slam dunk to take Seager, Urias, and Correa over them, and I'd probably take Gallo over them too. Moncado looks like he will be better than those older ready now guys too, but he is farther away, so is less desirable in your set up.
        Last edited by Sour Masher; 03-04-2015, 12:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
          Being free for the first year, and only $2 for the second, I would not rank any of those guys ahead Seager or Urias. I think both will be up next year. Correa is a tougher call, as he might not be up next year, but his upside is such, I'd rank him ahead of the those older ready now guys too. If it were my pick, I'd take Urias, Seager, Correa ahead of everyone else. Urias is so young, sorta small, and has one wonky eye, but the buzz on him is insane. Scouts love him more than their own families. If the Dodgers don't find room for him and Seager by June 2016, I'd be really surprised.

In fact, if I understand your system right, you can't even call up Castillo, Tomas, etc if you draft them as minor leaguers, which really undercuts the only value they have over the younger guys--that they can contribute for you this year. If I am reading that right, it is a slam dunk to take Seager, Urias, and Correa over them, and I'd probably take Gallo over them too. Moncado looks like he will be better than those older ready now guys too, but he is farther away, so is less desirable in your set up.
          Sour Masher - you are reading it, if I picked up someone like Castillo in the prospect draft he is of no value this year. The hope is that he is so good that he's worth keeping for 3 years after that and that he would be more proven than someone like Seager or Correa. Having the free year, not on the roster, does help when picking a youngster that is expected to be up soon but still needs some seasoning (like last year's prospect draft where Bryant, Buxton and Sano went, amongst others).

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Sour Masher - you are reading it, if I picked up someone like Castillo in the prospect draft he is of no value this year. The hope is that he is so good that he's worth keeping for 3 years after that and that he would be more proven than someone like Seager or Correa. Having the free year, not on the roster, does help when picking a youngster that is expected to be up soon but still needs some seasoning (like last year's prospect draft where Bryant, Buxton and Sano went, amongst others).
            Yeah, I see the value in seeing how someone like Castillo or Tomas perform in majors during that first year, but I'd still go witht he younger, higher upside players. More risk, but much more reward. Seager, Urias, Correa are all top 10 prospects. Gallo is riskier but has that kind of upside too, as does Moncado, although he is farther away.

Comment

Working...
            X