NL-only 2-catcher leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NL-only 2-catcher leagues

I don't usually allocate much toward catching but this year's list is really bad after the 12th catcher. Is it the worst in recent memory?
    I'm thinking about slightly overpaying for two premium catchers this year. Is that a good or bad strategy this year?

I always pay for catchers, and it has worked well. yeah, they get hurt and can't play every day, but that tends to get baked into the bidding. I paid $27 for Posey last year, which was fine in deep-NL-only 5x5 keeper, and $20 for YMolina (yeah, that didn't work so good).

with two more Cs leaving with Houston gone to AL, that millstone C of yours may leave skidmarks your team stat sheet all season. plus in dump deals, which I made last year, you can get good value back in many cases compared to dealing a stud OF because his worst OF might be able to fog a mirror. when we're flopping his Hector Sanchez for my Posey, that's a huge upgrade from below sea level to excellent hitter (and in fact the other guy won the pennant thanks to Posey's hot finish. I got a cheap Puig in the deal, so I'm happy, too.

Molina got to take a couple of months off last year, which should help this year, but he is older. will kick his tires at that price at the end of spring training. haven't looked yet at who else will be out there, but I'm not walking out with John Baker or even Martin Maldonado - even if I wind up with the rotting corpse of Lyle Overbay for 1 at 1B. eventually I found something better than him....
    finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
    own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
    won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
    RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
    C Stallings 2, Casali 1
    1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
    OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

I agree, it is thinner this year. Norris in, but McCann, Gattis, Wellington Castillo out (depending on where Castillo ends up).

Not sure this means you have to get into a bidding war for premium catchers. But grabbing some of the safer starting catcherd might be especially wise this year.

Comment

And what to do about the Colorado situation, especially Rosario. Will he be in Colorado all year and how much playing time will he have? Who is the 'safe' option there?

Comment

I think Nick Hundley is pretty safe and boring. McKenry hits enough to earn a couple bucks as a backup. And Rosario is the wild card.

Comment

Go boring might be wise. Instead of assuming injury risk associated with top catchers or getting stuck with no atbats, in 12 team NL-only, Ruiz & Salty. Or Ramos if affordable.

Comment

Working...
            X