Los Cubanos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Los Cubanos

I'm looking for any news/thoughts on a few of the unsigned Cuban's on MBL's radar, namely Hector Olivera, Yadier Alvarez and/or Andy Ibanez.

Of these three, Olivera is the one most ready to step into a MLB team to perform straight away. MLB tv said Olivera's agent is saying he'll sign within 24 hours on being cleared to play, so it sounds as if a contract has been offered. Which team might benefit the most from Olivera's services?

I know that Alvarez is waiting to hear from MLB to see if he can play before July 2nd (because he was born before Sept. 1 1995 and did not previously register with MLB). MLB can waive the requirement since he would have been unable to sign while living in Cuba as “a compelling justification for his failure to register.” There is a precedent for such a waiver granted to Dominican Republic players for failure to register on time, so Alvarez's argument would seem to be just.

Andy Ibanez has been cleared to sign, but I wonder why he has not? Ibanez was the 8th ranked player still living in Cuba (by Baseball America). Yes, he's young and is subject to the same international spending tax as Moncada, but that hasn't stopped teams before. Perhaps he is holding out for too much money?

I returned a few days ago from a three-day trip to the Dominican to see top July 2nd prospects (more on that in the coming weeks) and also a workout that had 18 Cuban players in it. Two of those 18…

Comment

Hector Olivera may need TJ surgery

Comment

Marlins made $53m offer for Hector Olivera, but backed away after hearing Dodgers offered $77m, source says. Padres 52m; Braves 44m

Comment

So if you're the Dodgers, sign Olivera and then trade Guerrero to the Padres?

Comment

Working...
          X