Goldschmidt vs Puig

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Goldschmidt vs Puig

12-team mixed 5x5 with oba, slug, r, rbi, sb.

I have Goldschmidt at 14 thru 2016. The Puig owner has him at 6 but I'd likely extend him thru 2017 to 16. So basically the same cost, is an extra year of Puig worth more than the proven track-record of Goldschmidt?
    Goldschmidt-14 thru 2016
    0%
    Puig-16 thru 2017
    0%

The poll is expired.

If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

I would answer that question with "not yet" -- but it's close. Goldy's had a .300/.400/.550 with 35 HRs and 125 RBI season, so we expect he could do that again; Puig has the potential to do that but he hasn't come close there yet. That's the difference maker for me.

Comment

This is very close to me, but I chose Goldschmidt. Usually, when I invest in a long-term commodity, I'm looking for consistency, and Puig just seems a little more likely (not that it is likely at all) to flame out or self-destruct. I'd love to have both of those players at those prices, but if I could only have one, I'd go with Goldschmidt. As a small consideration, it's probably a little easier to fill an OF spot with a productive alternative than it is to replace Goldy.

Comment

Three responses and all of you have written 'close'...it really is a tough one because of that extra year. I think if I wasn't as confident about my team I'd pull the trigger, but IMO I have one of the best keeper lists and I dominate the league (6 titles in 12 years), so going with more stable commodity is probably the right choice.
        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
        - Terence McKenna

Comment

A lot can happen in two years. We are talking about one super star against one potential super star. As much as I like Puig and own him I would gladly trade him for Goldschmidt given the parameters that you have set out. I also like the added power Goldy brings.

For me it is not close.

Comment

I voted Goldy for all the reasons spelled out already. Puig has the potential to make him the better option because of the extra year, but no one is arguing that he would be the better choice for the first two of the three years. So, there is little to no chance you will regret this until 2017. You could have two championships by then. To me, each year out the pay off is greatly diminishes it. So much can happen by then. You could still have a fantastic keeper list in 2017 without Puig...who knows who you will end up keeping with that keeper spot in 2017 instead of Puig? I'd rather win 2015 and 2016 in the deal by even a small amount and lose 2017, even big, then lose 2015, 2016, and win 2017, if that makes sense.

Comment

I own Puig for 10 in 2015 and 15 in 2016, but I like Goldy better.
              Yet given the extra year involved, I picked Puig.

As always, I think it comes down to where your roster stands. If you are loaded and can win this year and next, take Goldy. If you need a breakout from Puig to contend and/or are more geared to "down the road," then Puig is more attractive for that 2017 season.

I'm another "close" guy.
              finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Love Puig. He's fun but I would go with Goldy here. I think Puig still has some warts and Goldy is more refined minus the SB potential.
                Find that level above your head and help you reach it.

Comment

I will say this you guys make me feel very good about trading for a $10 Puig (needs $5 raises) a few months ago. Cost me Teheran $10B and a minor leaguer. I may not be able to extend him for two years, but I will find a way to do one.

Comment

I see a slight edge to Goldschmidt if trades weren't allowed in your league after a Goldschmidt-Puig deal.

But as it is hard to imagine trades being banned after a Goldschmidt-Puig deal, I'd rather have Puig. Puig $16 through 2017 has more in-season trade value than Goldschmidt to a dumper.

So, assuming you are making a run at the title this year and are able to do a trade in early June, I see it as starting out as 2 months of Goldschmidt and $2 extra to spend at auction vs. 2 months of Puig. But then 4 months of whatever Puig gets you in trade vs. 4 months of what Goldschmidt gets you.

Comment

Puig is an example. Makes six million? Wants to be like Kobe and LeBron? Needs to learn the language. He can afford to take a class or two.

(Don't own him in any of my leagues.)
                      Last edited by ; 02-26-2015, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
                        I see a slight edge to Goldschmidt if trades weren't allowed in your league after a Goldschmidt-Puig deal.

But as it is hard to imagine trades being banned after a Goldschmidt-Puig deal, I'd rather have Puig. Puig $16 through 2017 has more in-season trade value than Goldschmidt to a dumper.

So, assuming you are making a run at the title this year and are able to do a trade in early June, I see it as starting out as 2 months of Goldschmidt and $2 extra to spend at auction vs. 2 months of Puig. But then 4 months of whatever Puig gets you in trade vs. 4 months of what Goldschmidt gets you.
                        I see your point, but neither is a guy I'd be looking to trade. I extended Goldschmidt last year and never even considered trading him. Nor Strasburg who I extended two years ago thru this season, although I considered trading Stras this off-season.
                        - Terence McKenna

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                          What? An example of what?

He does speak English pretty well, actually. He was doing interviews in English nearly a year ago. He doesn't "need" to jack shit, anyways.

I hope this was some sort of joke that just missed the mark.
                          Yes, but obviously a pretty bad one. Sorry. (There was a piece about him wanting him to be like LeBron and Kobe, but criticizing him for not being more "marketable" because he didn't speak English. Six million seems pretty marketable.)

I do think some guys who have been living here and working here for ten years should at least make some effort to improve their grasp of the language (just like I think it would be disrespectful if I didn't learn Italian if I was making millions in Rome), but Puig hasn't been here very long by comparison. I don't think everyone who moves to a new place has an obligation to assimilate, but when you join an organization and a team, with co-workers, colleagues and fans, being able to communicate effectively is a plus. (I wonder why the writer said he didn't speak English, if he has been doing interviews for a year? If he can do interviews, I'm sure he talks with his fellow players.) My apologies to Puig for judging him.

Comment

I'm not the biggest Puig fan in the world, and would certainly take Goldy all things being equal, but I also think that the extra year tends to get undervalued in this sort of comparison. As stated, there are a lot of underlying similarities btw these two, and I dont think that it would be shocking to anyone to see the youngster have a power or speed breakout (or both!) over the course of 3 years.
                            One league, 28 years, 9 championships. AL 4X4

Current Lineup:

Ohoppe 2 Rutschman 22 JRamirez 40 Dezenzo 5 Lewis 6 Semien 26 Torres 20 Hamilton 10 Tucker 42 Cowser 1 Meadows 5 Holliday 17 Andujar 10 Robert 28 P Lopez 8 G Rodriguez 5 Ragans 5 Holmes 10 JDuran 10 McArthur 1 Miller 6 Crochet 10 Crawford 1

Comment

Yeah, so I'm embarrassed. Good for him for trying to pick it up. Bad for me for accepting without confirming. He's doing great if he's doing Kimmel. I know the folks out in L.A. love him. My son got to go out to and see a game with the family one one of my judge friends from Ventura County, and all he talked about afterwards was Puig.

Comment

Working...
                              X