Spring Training Experiences

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Training Experiences

I don't recall reading any but I figure some of you must have been.

In exactly 3 weeks I will be scarfing grub at Dinosaur BBQ in Syracuse, then hunkering down before my Tue flight to Tampa for 3 Jays games in Tampa and Dunedin.
    3/17 Jays @ Yankees
    3/18 Rays @ Jays
    3/19 Red Sox @ Jays

Going to spring training is on my bucket list and with no trip at Christmas I decided this would be the year. Hotel booked, convertible rented, home tickets bought. The only things left are buying a ticket for the away game and sorting out airport parking.

Any stories to share?

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
    Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
    Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Enjoy!

I used to go to ST games all the time. One of the biggest disappointments in my life was when all three teams here picked up and left. Now there isn't a single game here. It's pathetic and the DBags can go fuck themselves and change their name to the Phoenix Teabaggers.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

I will be in Kissimmee that week. You could stop by and say hi.

My recommendation would be to go to a complex on a day there is no major league game and get the backfield experience. I honestly think you will get more out of that than going to a major-league spring training game. I know at the Astros complex, at least, on the days with no game on the major-league side, you can wander around the minor-league side of the complex for free. You can get up much closer to the players and coaches and see some of the instruction going on.

At that point in spring training there will also be games starting up on the minor-league side. These games are free and take place on the backfields. Usually the teams take turns swapping the AAA and AA teams with the High-A and Low A teams on a home/away basis. So there will be two games going on any given day, unless it is a camp day with no games. I don't know what the schedule is on the minor-league side for any of the teams outside our pod, but I know what it is in Kissimmee, Viera, Lakeland, and Disney. (e.g., Friday, March 20 is a camp day for the Astros and Tigers. Thursday March 19, the Nationals AAA and AA clubs will be in Kissimmee to play the Astros AAA and AA clubs, and our two A-ball clubs will be in Viera to play the Nationals A-ball clubs. Etc.)
      "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

DMT: Sorry I hit a nerve!

KS: I planned my trip around the Jays schedule. They are off the 16 and 23 and I am there the 17-20. Great tip though. I was telling a coworker today that after a day game I plan to take the convertible for a drive out of town. Sarasota or Orlando seem to be my options. Kissimmee would work. I will PM you my cell. It's always fun to meet Junkies!

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
        Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
        Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer View Post
          I will be in Kissimmee that week. You could stop by and say hi.

My recommendation would be to go to a complex on a day there is no major league game and get the backfield experience. I honestly think you will get more out of that than going to a major-league spring training game. I know at the Astros complex, at least, on the days with no game on the major-league side, you can wander around the minor-league side of the complex for free. You can get up much closer to the players and coaches and see some of the instruction going on.

At that point in spring training there will also be games starting up on the minor-league side. These games are free and take place on the backfields. Usually the teams take turns swapping the AAA and AA teams with the High-A and Low A teams on a home/away basis. So there will be two games going on any given day, unless it is a camp day with no games. I don't know what the schedule is on the minor-league side for any of the teams outside our pod, but I know what it is in Kissimmee, Viera, Lakeland, and Disney. (e.g., Friday, March 20 is a camp day for the Astros and Tigers. Thursday March 19, the Nationals AAA and AA clubs will be in Kissimmee to play the Astros AAA and AA clubs, and our two A-ball clubs will be in Viera to play the Nationals A-ball clubs. Etc.)
          How do we go to the backfields?

Comment

Working...
          X