Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fantasy Baseball For Kids

Hey All...

Anyone have experience creating and running a league for kids?

I've played before in "micro" leagues with my kids and one other player (5 total), but this will be the first time doing a full blown, 12 team mixed snake draft league. Anybody have any recommendations for rules updates, roster sizes, etc? I want to keep it weekly moves roto style since head to head might be a bit too intense and I'm trying to play up understanding the long term math, etc. All of the players are between 12 and 9 (heavier on the 11/12yos) and all are tournament/travel baseball players who know and love the game.

Any thoughts?

Bob
    "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Don't dumb it down. 9 years old is old enough to go deep.
    I'm sorry, man, but I've got magic. I've got poetry in my fingertips. Most of the time--and this includes naps --I'm an F-18, bro. And I will destroy you in the air. I will deploy my ordinance to the ground.

Comment

That's pretty great, Bob. You may want to think through trading rules as well. That can be a great lesson.

Comment

My first thoughts are Outstanding idea! Good for you!

What about splitting the season into 6 week or ?? mini contests with each contest being weighted as to how they finish. The mini contests would be roto style but the actual winner would be the highest total of each weighted mini contest. This may prevent some teams from being out of it by the All Star break. The hope would be that this might help keep interest up through the season.

Best of luck on this great endeavor!

I hope you will post some updates along the way.

Comment

Originally posted by billbuckner View Post
          Don't dumb it down. 9 years old is old enough to go deep.
          So 7x7 full sabes with FIP replacing ERA and heavy transaction fees?
          "There is involved in this struggle the question whether your children and my children shall enjoy the privileges we have enjoyed. I say this in order to impress upon you, if you are not already so impressed, that no small matter should divert us from our great purpose. "

Abraham Lincoln, from his Address to the Ohio One Hundred Sixty Fourth Volunteer Infantry

Comment

That's pretty interesting idea, Gregg. Maybe monthly for ease of understanding...

Sharky, are you thinking trade approvals to prevent ripoffs or something else?

Thanks!

Comment

i have a 15 year old son who started doing fantasy football and basketball with his basketball team buddies this year. from what he tells me, the big thing is that there is a wide variation in skill and interest. that's what makes it tough. you don't want to dumb it down for those who can handle it, but if you do that you'll lose the others.

so i'd say keep it simple. straight 4x4, weekly roto. maybe H2H (interestingly my son and his buddies seem to grasp H2H much better than roto). not too many rules. run it on ESPN or Yahoo!.

good luck - it's awesome that you're trying this out.
              "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Do these kids know what goes into the ratio stats? Would they understand ERA & WHIP? I see you want to play up the math, so I guess they'd have to know how it works, but my initial thought would be to go with Hits rather than BA, and maybe keep just ERA. 4x4 definitely seems the way to go.

They also probably don't know every player on every team, and maybe this league should just concentrate on the studs, so eliminating MI, CI, and maybe sticking with 3 OF would work on the hitting side, and also segregate SP & RP.

Good luck, I'd love to hear how it works out!

Comment

nine starting batters and 3 bench guys

keep era and ratio for some math

they will understand average

mini seasons are great

the draft/auction will be tough

maybe let them keep 3 players half way through and start again - so they dont lose interest

my 14 year old nephew has done fantasy football with us adults but rosters in football are shallow so it is evener
                  he does a bunch of yahoo baseball leagues - uses autodraft - drafts 4-5 teams and only really tries playing out the one team that ends up strong - and uses pretty shallow leagues

I will ask some 6th graders in my school their thoughts

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                    Do these kids know what goes into the ratio stats? Would they understand ERA & WHIP? I see you want to play up the math, so I guess they'd have to know how it works, but my initial thought would be to go with Hits rather than BA, and maybe keep just ERA. 4x4 definitely seems the way to go.

They also probably don't know every player on every team, and maybe this league should just concentrate on the studs, so eliminating MI, CI, and maybe sticking with 3 OF would work on the hitting side, and also segregate SP & RP.

Good luck, I'd love to hear how it works out!
                    The 9 year old might struggle with the math, but my son is 11 right now and if he was interested he'd have no problem understanding the math behind ERA, WHIP, and BA. It's basic math, with a bit of algebra thrown in. Kids in 6th grade are doing basic algebra.

Besides, they'd probably just look at the BA and other ratios of players, not do a full analysis of the numbers that go into the numbers.
                    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
                      The 9 year old might struggle with the math, but my son is 11 right now and if he was interested he'd have no problem understanding the math behind ERA, WHIP, and BA. It's basic math, with a bit of algebra thrown in. Kids in 6th grade are doing basic algebra.

Besides, they'd probably just look at the BA and other ratios of players, not do a full analysis of the numbers that go into the numbers.
                      Yeah, I think I was getting at more of "do they understand the significance behind the numbers." A 9- yr old may not distinguish the difference between a 2.00 ERA starter and a 2.00 ERA closer. Or a .300 BA starter or a .300 BA bench player.

Comment

Comment

Wow...great idea, Bob. I'd stick to basic 5x5 - that's what a lot of the "popular" web sites use for their player ratings. Gregg's idea is very good, too.
                          I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Thanks everyone, a lot to think about this week Keep 'em coming!

Comment

love this idea. I learned a lot about math at that age computing ERA and AVG.

unfortunately, only my twin converted it into a career in finance.

finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                              own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                              won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                              RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                              C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                              1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                              OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Working...
                              X