Papelbon " I'll go to any team that wants me."

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Papelbon " I'll go to any team that wants me."

Of course he has a list of 17 teams that he can't be traded to......

Just read a story that said he's willing to go to any team that wants him..... my question is, who wants to put up with his nonsense?

He's like Ocho Cinco, but with a baseball.

Is that an old list for no-trade, or is that brand new? If it's old, throw it out the window.

I'm sure by saying "any team that wants me" he means as a closer.
    Considering his only baseball post in the past year was bringing up a 3 year old thread to taunt Hornsby and he's never contributed a dime to our hatpass, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogues View Post
      I'm sure by saying "any team that wants me" he means as a closer.
      Or any team that's willing to guarantee his vesting option for next year. I remember that coming up a few weeks ago when the Brewers were involved in trade talks for him.

Comment

I don't blame him for wanting his vesting option. It is part of the contract. Why should he hurt himself, by allowing the Phillies to break the contract that they agreed to?

The door of contracts swings both ways. Players want to renegotiate contracts to get more money, owners want to get out of contracts that they signed up for. Hey, its just business.

Comment

So I need a closer, and Papelbon is one of the few available from dumpers.

What are the odds Papelbon closes the rest of the year? I'm an NL-only player, but we can keep this year players that go to the A.L.

I've seen Cubs or Blue Jays.

1) Pretty certain that he'd close for the Cubs, but I don't follow the Blue Jays. Would he close in Toronto?

2) Any other likely locations? Anywhere that he'd just be a setup man?

Comment

Originally posted by james33 View Post
            1) Pretty certain that he'd close for the Cubs, but I don't follow the Blue Jays. Would he close in Toronto?

2) Any other likely locations? Anywhere that he'd just be a setup man?
            1) 100%. Cecil and Castro haven't been effective. He may be too expensive for Toronto who are also interested in Clippard (as are the Astros).

2) Houston wants another arm and could be a destination. Detroit has Soria but if they learned anything from the past few years they could add Papelbon and have Soria setup.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

Just traded for him in my NL-only that doesn't count AL stats and I'm sweating every minute until the deadline. He'll close wherever he goes - the MLBPA would have a fit otherwise - but all the rumors seem to be for AL teams.

Comment

Originally posted by overkill94 View Post
                Just traded for him in my NL-only that doesn't count AL stats and I'm sweating every minute until the deadline. He'll close wherever he goes - the MLBPA would have a fit otherwise - but all the rumors seem to be for AL teams.
                What's the MLBPA's interest?

Comment

Papelbon's 2016 option is guaranteed if he finishes 48 games this year, so it would cost him a lot of money if he went to a team that was going to use him in the 8th.
                  In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

It depends on whether he's dealt to a team with an already established closer that's simply looking for a set-up man/bullpen depth. If that happens, all the MLBPA arguments would likely be moot.
                    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                      It depends on whether he's dealt to a team with an already established closer that's simply looking for a set-up man/bullpen depth. If that happens, all the MLBPA arguments would likely be moot.
                      Not from what I've heard. The MLBPA is not happy when any of its members loses out on bonuses and having "one of the greatest closers of all-time" not closing and collecting his additional millions would cause quite a kerfuffle.

Comment

Not from what I've heard. The MLBPA is not happy when any of its members loses out on bonuses and having "one of the greatest closers of all-time" not closing and collecting his additional millions would cause quite a kerfuffle.
                        It really wouldn't matter if they were happy or not, they really wouldn't have much of an argument. If it went to some sort of arbitration, I doubt the MLBPA would be able to mount much of a case, no matter how much glossing went on with Paps. I don't know who's on his trade list, so it all may be irrelevant. I doubt that anyone is going to trade for him knowing that they'd be stuck for the remainder of that contract at his age.
                        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                        -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by mjl View Post
                          Papelbon's 2016 option is guaranteed if he finishes 48 games this year, so it would cost him a lot of money if he went to a team that was going to use him in the 8th.
                          Picking up the option will likely be a condition if he is dealt to a team on his no-trade list. TOR would certainly be on it, as they are on everyone's due to finances.
                          Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                          We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Working...
                          X