Keeper inflation thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeper inflation thoughts

For my keeper league I typically calculate the overall inflation rate at auction due to keepers. But should I be considering different inflation rates for pitchers and hitters?
    What I've noticed over the years is that hitter keepers are kept for much higher value than pitchers. For example, total $ for hitters kept is $800 with a projected value of $1100. Total $ on pitchers kept is $500 with a projected value of $550. So should the inflation rate be higher, lower or the same for hitters in the case?

i do them separately. but my splits are usually not so severe as yours. i'm shocked your pitcher inflation is only 10%. or was that just an example?
    "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

Originally posted by quoin View Post
      For my keeper league I typically calculate the overall inflation rate at auction due to keepers. But should I be considering different inflation rates for pitchers and hitters?
      What I've noticed over the years is that hitter keepers are kept for much higher value than pitchers. For example, total $ for hitters kept is $800 with a projected value of $1100. Total $ on pitchers kept is $500 with a projected value of $550. So should the inflation rate be higher, lower or the same for hitters in the case?
      I believe you have to look at pitchers and hitters separately.

I play in two 12 team only leagues (1 AL and 1 NL) with basically the same owners (a couple different in each league). Pitchers are just not as valuable in the AL side of things. That is until this year. With AL pitching a bit scarce, many more pitchers at value or slightly above value will be kept. A strong cheap all player rookie crop coming into it's own will create a pretty big bankroll for many of the owners. This will cause prices for pitching to go through the roof. I believe the bargains this year will be in the middle tier offensive players.

Comment

The challenge I have is how to estimate what % of the value to assign to pitching vs. hitting. That then affects the inflation estimates.

Comment

Originally posted by bryanbutler View Post
          i do them separately. but my splits are usually not so severe as yours. i'm shocked your pitcher inflation is only 10%. or was that just an example?
          My example is roughly inline with what I'm seeing in my league this year. I think this is as a result of wildly differing projections for pitchers, particularly those below the top tier, while there's more of a consensus on hitter projections. Given that views on pitchers vary more, I should be able to more readily find pitcher bargains (at least according to my projections) and therefore pitcher inflation should be lower than for hitters. I wanted to get other people's thoughts to see if it aligns with my thinking.

James, you're right in saying that the hitter/pitcher split is a very important consideration in this calculation as well.

Comment

Originally posted by quoin View Post
            The short answer is yes. I have never bothered to, and if you use the prices only as a guide, being off by a couple dollars won't make a difference. This year I'm going to do them separately.

The most common splits are 67/33 and 70/30. I usually run both to see which set looks closer to what my AL league. Closers went for 15-22 last year but overall it was close to a 70-30 split.

With your splits, inflation will be higher among hitters, since there is more value in the kept players.

Ottawa Triple Eh's | P.I.M.P.S. | 14 team keep forever
            Champions 16,21 | Runner up 17,19-20

The FOS (retired) | MTARBL | 12 team AL 5x5
            Champions 01,05,17 | Runner up 13-15,20

Comment

These things are not as they often appear. If you assume a 10-team league with $260 salaries and a 70/30 split, $500 of pitchers frozen with a value of $550 comes out to right around 20% inflation instead of 10%.

Comment

The inflation in boxscore should be out the roof. We added 2 new teams for a total of 15

My team alone has over 50 dollars in kept value.
                If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
                  These things are not as they often appear. If you assume a 10-team league with $260 salaries and a 70/30 split, $500 of pitchers frozen with a value of $550 comes out to right around 20% inflation instead of 10%.
                  you're right - i was being quick and sloppy. what you have to look at is what's *left* - players and money. still, i find that inflation low.
                  "Instead of all of this energy and effort directed at the war to end drugs, how about a little attention to drugs which will end war?" Albert Hofmann

Comment

I've been wondering about that Doig. Specifically, how much the new teams would impact inflation. If they go in with $260 each, it would be a big impact. That's a scary thing to do, though, in a new league. I think what may be more likely is that they will will pick up a bunch of guys in the expansion draft. These will be, almost by definition, guys who are marginal keepers...including a lot of expensive guys with little or no profit in them. If they keep $100-150 worth of marginal keepers, inflation might not be that bad. Just a thought.

Comment

you're right - i was being quick and sloppy. what you have to look at is what's *left* - players and money. still, i find that inflation low.
                      not trying to be a dick, I know you know how to calculate inflation, but there are a lot of newbies who get some weird ideas

Comment

not trying to be a dick, I know you know how to calculate inflation, but there are a lot of newbies who get some weird ideas
                        i don't mind being called out when i make a rookie mistake .

Comment

Inflation and dick in one thread and ED in another. ...mhmm could something be on your mind?
                          If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                          Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Hey, I've been living alone for a year in a town with 35,000 coeds. Use your imagination.

Comment

Working...
                            X