My prediction of BA's Top 100

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My prediction of BA's Top 100

This is an exercise I do every year because I think it's fun. I follow BA very closely and their Team top 10s, League top 20s and chats give me a pretty good idea of who they'll put on their top 100, to be revealed tonite. I usually get about 90 of the names correct and usually names I miss are ranked no higher than about 67 or so. Usually there are 2-3 names that I had no idea about. This list is not really in order altho most of the better prospects are nearer the top. The last 9 are the ones I'm most unsure about.

Byron Buxton OF Min
    Kris Bryant 3B/OF/1B CHC
    Jorge Soler OF CHC
    Joc Pederson OF LAD
    Corey Seager SS/3B LAD
    Carlos Correa SS Hou
    Rusney Castillo OF Bos
    Joey Gallo 3B/OF/1B Tex
    Miguel Angel Sano 3B/1B Min
    Addison Russell SS/3B CHC
    Lucas Giolito SP Was
    Julio Urias SP LAD
    Carlos Rodon SP CHW
    Noah Syndergaard SP NYM
    Francisco Lindor SS Cle
    Dalton Pompey OF Tor
    Michael Taylor OF Was
    Maikel Franco 3B Phi
    J.P. (John Paul) Crawford SS Phi
    Alex Jackson OF Sea
    Jose Peraza 2B/SS Atl
    David Dahl OF Col
    Tyler Glasnow SP Pit
    Aaron Sanchez SP/RP Tor
    Daniel Norris SP Tor
    Nick Gordon SS Min
    Franklin Barreto SS/OF Oak
    Archie Bradley SP/RP Ari
    Dylan Bundy SP Bal
    Henry Owens SP Bos
    Stephen Souza OF TB
    Yasmany Tomas OF Ari
    Rafael Devers 3B/2B/1B Bos
    Jose (J.O.) Berrios SP/RP Min
    Kyle Schwarber C/OF/1B CHC
    D.J. Peterson 3B/1B Sea
    Daniel Robertson SS/3B TB
    Nomar Mazara OF Tex
    Hunter Renfroe OF SD
    Jesse Winker OF Cin
    Trea Turner SS/3B Was
    Stephen Piscotty OF StL
    Josh Bell 1B/OF Pit
    Andrew Heaney SP LAA
    Robert Stephenson SP Cin
    Aaron Nola SP Phi
    Alex Meyer SP/RP Min
    Hunter Harvey SP Bal
    Luis Severino SP/RP NYY
    Sean Manaea SP KC
    Clint Frazier OF Cle
    Austin Meadows OF Pit
    Dilson Herrera 2B/SS/3B NYM
    Alex Reyes SP StL
    Braden Shipley SP/RP Ari
    Kohl Stewart SP Min
    Jameson Taillon SP Pit
    Mark Appel SP Hou
    Marco Gonzales SP StL
    Steve Matz SP NYM
    Tyler Kolek SP Mia
    Brandon Nimmo OF NYM
    Eduardo Rodriguez SP Bos
    Aaron Blair SP Ari
    Brandon Finnegan SP/RP KC
    Tim Anderson SS/2B/OF CHW
    Aaron Judge OF NYY
    Kyle Zimmer SP KC
    Raul (Adalberto) Mondesi SS KC
    Jonathan Gray SP/RP Col
    Jake (Aaron) Thompson SP Tex
    Raisel Iglesias SP/RP Cin
    C.J. (Carl) Edwards SP/RP CHC
    Reynaldo Lopez SP/RP Was
    Blake Swihart C Bos
    Jorge Alfaro C Tex
    Mike Foltynewicz SP/RP Atl
    Matt Wisler SP SD
    Tyrone Taylor OF Mil
    Vincent Velasquez SP/RP Hou
    Grant Holmes SP LAD
    Jeff Hoffman SP Tor
    Sean Newcomb SP LAA
    Lucas Sims SP/RP Atl
    Hunter Dozier 3B/SS KC
    Touki Toussaint SP Ari
    Andrew Susac C SF
    Eddie Butler SP Col
    Kyle Freeland SP Col
    Kevin Plawecki C/1B NYM
    Austin Hedges C SD
    Manuel Margot OF Bos
    Eric Fedde SP Was
    Orlando Arcia SS Mil
    Billy McKinney OF CHC
    Albert Almora OF CHC
    Willy Adames SS TB
    Reese McGuire C Pit
    Bradley Zimmer OF Cle
    Spencer Adams SP CHW

53 NL and 47 AL, and 53 hitters and 47 pitchers, all of which seems about right. Cubs have the most w 7 players, Boston and Minnesota each w 6. Tigers have nobody and Miami, SF and Oakland w 1 apiece. All but 6 are in my roto top 150.
    Last edited by rhd; 02-19-2015, 02:14 PM.

RHD, it is an interesting exercise. However I much prefer your list given the focus on fantasy production!!

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
      RHD, it is an interesting exercise. However I much prefer your list given the focus on fantasy production!!
      Thanx, Sharky. Yeah, this probably isnt something most people will find useful. Just fun to do, especially for BA junkies, like me.
      Last edited by rhd; 02-19-2015, 10:05 PM.

Comment

Curious to hear where you see the biggest disconnect between BA rankings and fantasy rankings -- both in general terms (eg one places greater emphasis on short path to the show vs ultimate ceiling) and specific (which players rate much higher on one list than another). Care to opine?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharky View Post
          Curious to hear where you see the biggest disconnect between BA rankings and fantasy rankings -- both in general terms (eg one places greater emphasis on short path to the show vs ultimate ceiling) and specific (which players rate much higher on one list than another). Care to opine?
          Biggest differences are 1) pitchers are downgraded some, 2) catchers are downgraded a lot, 3) hi SB guys are upgraded a lot, 4) guys that figure to have starting jobs in MLB in the near are upgraded a lot, 5) guys that figure to be MLB closers in the near future are upgraded a lot.

Comment

Well, everyone in their top 50 is on this list, except for Moncada who in the past wasnt eligible because he hasnt signed w a team yet. They changed the rules on me! Still waiting for the rest of the top 100...

Edit #1:
            I did about as well as usual, w me missing 9 of the names, not counting Moncada who I would have put on if I had known he was eligible. Besides him, I got all that were in the top 75. Names I missed:

#10 - Yoan Moncada (so why not Hector Oliveira also then? Puzzling.)
            #76 - J.T. Realmuto (surprising that he made it when Hedges didnt)
            #78 - Jake Lamb (I made 2 last minute changes and 1 was to remove him)
            #80 - Michael Conforto (surprising that 7 Mets made the list)
            #82 - Brian Johnson (which makes also 7 Bosox that made the list)
            #89 - ChiChi Gonzalez
            #91 - A.J. Cole (also 6 Nats made the list. Really 7, if you count Turner)
            #95 - Ryan McMahon (He was my other last minute guy I removed)
            #96 - Joe Ross
            #98 - Amed Rosario

Guys on my list that didnt make it:
            - Marco Gonzales (this is the biggest head-scratcher - He was #1 on their Cards list and #2 and #3 both made the list Nothing significant has happened w him in the off-season so what gives?) (see 2nd and 3rd edits, below)
            - Clint Frazier (seemed a little iffy but surprising since he was #42 on their mid-season list, has one of the highest upsides and had a solid if unspectacular season, albeit w a lot of Ks)
            - Kohl Stewart (was #30 on their mid-season list!)
            - Mike Foltynewicz
            - Vincent Velasquez (means only 2 Astros made it)
            - Lucas Sims
            - Hunter Dozier (was #39 on their mid-season list)
            - Austin Hedges (was #19 on their mid-season list!)
            - Albert Almora (was the 3rd guy I considered cutting - means only 6 Cubs made the list)
            - Bradley Zimmer (was 1 of the 2 guys I added at the last minute)

Only 43 AL guys made the list, which is an unusually big discrepancy between the leagues. 54 hitters and 46 pitchers, which is typical. The Bosox and the Mets had the most w 7 players, and the Cubs, Nats and D-BAcks were next w 6. Tigers had noone and the Indians, A's Braves and Giants each had just 1.

Edit #2:
            There apparently was a mistake in the list. They listed all of the 115 guys that got a vote but missed the list and Marco Gonzales is nowhere to be found. I think he was originally on the list and got removed when they added Moncada. Perhaps he originally was #50 and got removed completely instead of becoming #51 and moving everyone else down. So this may become BA's 1st "Top 101" list. If noone else informs them of this, I will.

Edit #3:
            I see now. For the MLB show, they added Moncada at #10 and bumped Gonzales who was/is #50. Gonzales is on the "real" list and everyone else listed form 11-50 on the show is actually 1 spot higher onthe real list. So, I actually got 91 of the 100 names correct.
            Last edited by rhd; 02-20-2015, 12:17 AM.

Comment

You hardcore guys amaze me.... I like to think of myself as a serious baseball enthusiast, and then I see rhd threads, and realize I'm just a poser, LOL.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
                You hardcore guys amaze me.... I like to think of myself as a serious baseball enthusiast, and then I see rhd threads, and realize I'm just a poser, LOL.
                I was thinking the same thing. Other than the top 20 and the Pirates prospects i feel like it's my first year in fantasy baseball when i read the rest of the list.
                “Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”

― Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                X