Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

As expected, Hamels wants out of Philly.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As expected, Hamels wants out of Philly.

I don't have a link, as this was a graphic on the news..... but essentially Hamels said "I'm a competitive person. Every competitor wants a chance to win. We don't have that chance here. I want to be somewhere where I can win." ( paraphrased )

While I agree with his thinking, I don't know how much being verbal about it really helps him.... Now that teams really know he wants out, maybe they are less inclined to offer a better deal? Hamels seems to be an emotional, moody kind of guy. If he doesn't get traded, I am not thinking he has a great year.

Originally posted by Papa Deuce View Post
    I don't have a link, as this was a graphic on the news..... but essentially Hamels said "I'm a competitive person. Every competitor wants a chance to win. We don't have that chance here. I want to be somewhere where I can win." ( paraphrased )

While I agree with his thinking, I don't know how much being verbal about it really helps him.... Now that teams really know he wants out, maybe they are less inclined to offer a better deal? Hamels seems to be an emotional, moody kind of guy. If he doesn't get traded, I am not thinking he has a great year.
    It would seem that he would loose some leverage with his list of no trade destinations. You want out, waive those no trades.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
      It would seem that he would loose some leverage with his list of no trade destinations. You want out, waive those no trades.
      Exactly. This vocalization of his feelings may bring in suitors who weren't previously targeting him because they thought he was content to stay, and perhaps, had a no-trade clause with their name on it. I don't think it hurts his case. If he was spitting vitriol at the Phillies, that might be different. What he said was pretty mild.

Comment

Is any team crying out for an ace pitcher so much, 45 days before the season starts, to give up an awful lot for Hamels?

He is Philly's only real asset now. I'm not including Cliff Lee. They need to get alot for him, to rebuild the organization.

They should hold on til the trade deadline and trade to a contender who has no option but to give up loads.

Comment

The risk in waiting til the trading deadline is that he gets hurt. I'd argue the best time to trade him might be 3 weeks into the season, less total injury risk for him, but a really good chance that several contenders will have lost 1 of their 5 SP to injury.

There's also been previous discussion that the Phillies are asking too much relative to other stud pitchers that have been traded.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
            Depends on how those no trades align with teams that have a decent chance of winning, which is his stated goal.

Hamels has been a good soldier for a long time. The Phillies have been happy to yank his chain in leaking where he might be traded to try and generate interest. Good for him for yanking back, just a bit.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Phillies wanted Carlos Martinez + Bourjos + a top prospect; Cardinals said no. Story is from Cardinals beat writer Derrick Goold who does a great job, accurate, good in his weekly chats, doesn't claim to know things he doesn't, etc.

Comment

The Phils will have more leverage when a contending team or two has a top pitcher that gets hurt. Right now, no one's gonna meet their asking price. So I think there's a good chance Hamels plays for a winner this year, just not right away.
                Originally posted by Kevin Seitzer
                We pinch ran for Altuve specifically to screw over Mith's fantasy team.

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                  The Phils will have more leverage when a contending team or two has a top pitcher that gets hurt. Right now, no one's gonna meet their asking price. So I think there's a good chance Hamels plays for a winner this year, just not right away.
                  That's not going to work when one of the pieces in return is a mlb starting pitcher.
                  If I whisper my wicked marching orders into the ether with no regard to where or how they may bear fruit, I am blameless should a broken spirit carry those orders out upon the innocent, for it was not my hand that took the action merely my lips which let slip their darkest wish. ~Daniel Devereaux 2011

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.
                  Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Working...
                  X