Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pitcher to keep? Odorizzi or McCarthy? Both? Neither?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which pitcher to keep? Odorizzi or McCarthy? Both? Neither?

It's a 15-team 5x5 mixed with Doig, Jason, Byron, all the usual suspects.

I like both of these guys pretty well, but my freeze roster might wind up pitcher-heavy, which isn't necessarily bad. Each of them carries a $5 price tag ($260 league). McCarthy is in his second year of a three-year contract, Odorizzi is in his option year, meaning this would be his last year unless I extend him for $5, which would make him $10 for this year and next, which I'm pretty sure I won't do.

If I keep one, he will probably be my 5th starter. If I keep both, they will probably be my 5th and 6th starters.

Keep none? One? Both?

Thanks.

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Yes to McCarthy and either maybe or no to Odorizzi, depending on your tolerance for risk and whether he'd bump another keeper from your list.
    Agree with this but no raise for Odorizzi.

I am also thinking that you might get Odorizzi back with a nice new contract for the same 5 bucks if you drop him this year. At 25 he has upside. It would be nice to have him for three years of growth.

Comment

That sounds like good advice guys.

McCarthy it is.

What if I threw W-Y Chen into the mix? Neither of you would keep him over McCarthy at two bucks and the same second year contract, would you? He does look like a better bet for Ks, but not so much for ERA and Whip.

Comment

I'd rank Chen 3rd of that trio. I don't think he is a slam dunk for more Ks than McCarthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          That sounds like good advice guys.

McCarthy it is.

What if I threw W-Y Chen into the mix? Neither of you would keep him over McCarthy at two bucks and the same second year contract, would you? He does look like a better bet for Ks, but not so much for ERA and Whip.
          McCarthy is still my choice.

I think he is kind of a sleeper this year. I traded for him about 6 weeks ago. I have him for 3 bucks. I like it!

Comment

Good luck - I'd dump 'em both in a 15-teamer. McCarthy certainly has upside, and you can probably replace him easily enough if he gets hurt for the umpteenth time.

No, I'm not bitter at all.
            I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Former McCarthy owner, eh?

Okay, just because this is the time of year where I begin the process of out-smarting myself on my freezes, here is who I am presently looking at keeping:

Weaver 16B
              Ryu 8C
              Fiers 7B
              Salazar 8B
              McCarthy 5B
              Romo 1B

That would leave behind:

Odorizzi 5C
              W-Y Chen 2B
              Porcello 3B
              Keuchel 7B
              Roark 9B

Anybody besides McCarthy I have wrong here?

Comment

Okay, just because this is the time of year where I begin the process of out-smarting myself on my freezes, here is who I am presently looking at keeping:

Weaver 16B
                Ryu 8C
                Fiers 7B
                Salazar 8B
                McCarthy 5B
                Romo 1B

That would leave behind:

Odorizzi 5C
                W-Y Chen 2B
                Porcello 3B
                Keuchel 7B
                Roark 9B

Anybody besides McCarthy I have wrong here?
                You don't have McCarthy wrong. Chance put the jink on him by owning him. We are all in the clear now. I like Porcello and Keuchel better than Romo. For the 2 extra bucks I would take Porcello.

Comment

Chi io?!? Yeah, the pissant. So much talent. So much pitching destruction of my teams.

Given your other list, I'd keep Keuchel even though he's $2 more over McCarthy. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that McCarthy's 2nd half reflects his true value if healthy - and that's pretty darn good, ERA in the 2.9s, WHIP under 1.2, 8+ Ks/9 IP, excellent K:BB ratio. Keuchel's ancillaries pretty well support his numbers from last year - ERA in the 2.9s, WHIP under 1.2, 6.5ish Ks/9 IP, and a very good (not quite excellent) K:BB ratio.

Parking my distaste for McCarthy, I think everyone here would agree he's a significant health risk. I'd pay the $2 for more health certainty and slightly lower Ks.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                    Chi io?!? Yeah, the pissant. So much talent. So much pitching destruction of my teams.

Given your other list, I'd keep Keuchel even though he's $2 more over McCarthy. Let's say, for the sake of discussion, that McCarthy's 2nd half reflects his true value if healthy - and that's pretty darn good, ERA in the 2.9s, WHIP under 1.2, 8+ Ks/9 IP, excellent K:BB ratio. Keuchel's ancillaries pretty well support his numbers from last year - ERA in the 2.9s, WHIP under 1.2, 6.5ish Ks/9 IP, and a very good (not quite excellent) K:BB ratio.

Parking my distaste for McCarthy, I think everyone here would agree he's a significant health risk. I'd pay the $2 for more health certainty and slightly lower Ks.

No reason he can't keep both.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
                      No reason he can't keep both.
                      Not unless he scraps Fiers or Romo.

Comment

Right, I'm pretty much limited to six pitchers, keeping Rizzo, Segura, Posey and d'Arnaud. I really like Rizzo and Segura for this year. And I'm tired of having terrible catchers. So that's four hitters, leaving me room for six pitchers...Weaver, my "ace" and five guys with "upside". My thinking on Romo was that he could get a dozen or so saves and might help me cobble together enough to pick up three or four points.

Comment

Right, I'm pretty much limited to six pitchers, keeping Rizzo, Segura, Posey and d'Arnaud. I really like Rizzo and Segura for this year. And I'm tired of having terrible catchers. So that's four hitters, leaving me room for six pitchers...Weaver, my "ace" and five guys with "upside". My thinking on Romo was that he could get a dozen or so saves and might help me cobble together enough to pick up three or four points.
                          I would not waste a roster spot on Romo at the expense of McCarthy or Keuchel. Probably get Romo back in the end game if you really want him.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                            Not unless he scraps Fiers or Romo.
                            Yep, Romo gotta gomo.

Comment

Working...
                            X