Baseball Prospectus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Baseball Prospectus

What are the thoughts generally on Baseball Prospectus? I am thinking about subscribing.

I see there is already a post on BP.

What are your interests? Fantasy, sabermetrics, general baseball commentary, etc.?
    "Jesus said to them, 'Truly I tell you, the tax collectors and the prostitutes are going into the kingdom of God ahead of you.'"

Comment

I really enjoy it and renewing the subscription is one of the easiest choices I make. But it's not purely for fantasy.

Sometimes they run a deal where you can pay 10 bucks to draftkings and get a free subscription.

Comment

I love BP, the book and the site (although I sometimes let my subscription lapse based on finances and time, but the book I get always). Like what the others say, it's not the best site for fantasy purposes, but it isn't useless in that regard. It's just a fine place to read wonderful articles about baseball, most of which are sabermetrically inclined.

BaseballHQ isn't nearly as entertaining to read, although it is fine, but it is focused on fantasy. Having both is the perfect world for fantasy owners who are also fans of the game and statistical analysis.

Comment

From a fantasy perspective, the baseball prospectus podcasts are pretty good (and free). Prefer Flags Fly Forever a little over TINO but both are useful especially for dynasty / keeper / deep formats.

I don't subscribe but I do to HQ.

Comment

The writing is very good. I'm not sure if it's just that I didn't know about other projection systems 5-10 years ago or if PECOTA really tanked when Nate Silver left, but I'm unimpressed with that part of their business.

For me, it's not enough better than Fangraphs for me to pay money for. You can get a monthly subscription for a few bucks and try it out though, and they're running the DraftKings promotion JC mentioned now - you can get PECOTA and a year's subscription for a $10 buyin to DraftKings, which basically has about a total expected cost of maybe 25 cents.
            In the best of times, our days are numbered, anyway. And it would be a crime against Nature for any generation to take the world crisis so solemnly that it put off enjoying those things for which we were presumably designed in the first place, and which the gravest statesmen and the hoarsest politicians hope to make available to all men in the end: I mean the opportunity to do good work, to fall in love, to enjoy friends, to sit under trees, to read, to hit a ball and bounce the baby.

Comment

Working...
            X