Carlos Gomez for Dickerson and Pederson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carlos Gomez for Dickerson and Pederson

I have Gomez for $20 for this year and two more. I am being offered Dickerson at $5 (can be extended next year) and Pederson in a 14 team mixed league. My initial reaction is to pass, but maybe I am blinded by my love for Gomez. Dickerson looks legit and saves me some cash. Pederson looks great too, although the K rate concerns me some. Gomez is a known quantity and seems the safer bet.

I am considering countering to get Garrett Richards $5 in the deal for Sean Doolittle $5 or Jake McGee $5. He really wants Gomez, so I think he'd consider it. Would that put it over the top for you?

If you can get Richards back in the deal, I'd do it...Doolittle is no sure bet to come back strong, or with the job for that matter. I trust the Dodgers to have made the right decision in dealing Kemp to make a place for Joc...he'll swing and miss a fair amount, but at the end of the year he'll put up good numbers, IMO. And Dickerson is the real deal...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
    - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
    -Warren Ellis

Comment

Unless you're in full rebuild mode, I think you should hang on to Gomez, the best player in the deal.

However, consider the source. My track record indicates that I don't seem to have learned that much in 20 years of this.
      Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
      -- William James

Comment

14 team mixed, I definitely keep Gomez in the first deal. I still keep him even if you can get Richards, but at least it's close then.

IMO, you can find good pitching cheap in a 14-team mixed keeper league. You can't find an OF with Gomez's stats for anywhere near $20.
        I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
          Unless you're in full rebuild mode, I think you should hang on to Gomez, the best player in the deal.

However, consider the source. My track record indicates that I don't seem to have learned that much in 20 years of this.
          I'm looking to repeat. My team is pretty strong, so that is one reason I want to hang on to Gomez. But I like the pieces being offered too.

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
            14 team mixed, I definitely keep Gomez in the first deal. I still keep him even if you can get Richards, but at least it's close then.

IMO, you can find good pitching cheap in a 14-team mixed keeper league. You can't find an OF with Gomez's stats for anywhere near $20.
            Yeah, I keep thinking of the moves I make at the end of the year making a run. It isn't to get guys like Dickerson and Richards. It is trading guys like that who are cheap to get guys like Gomez. So, why not just hold on to Gomez?

Comment

Originally posted by Sour Masher View Post
              Yeah, I keep thinking of the moves I make at the end of the year making a run. It isn't to get guys like Dickerson and Richards. It is trading guys like that who are cheap to get guys like Gomez. So, why not just hold on to Gomez?
              And you have him at $20. Given that its a keeper league, I'd expect him to go for 40+ if you throw him in. Worst case, if your team goes in the tank, he'd command a huge return in a trade.
              I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Even if he would do it 3 for 1, I'd have no room to keep both Doolittle and Mcgee (I also have Holland and Jansen), and I've tried everything short of giving them away to move them. No takers at all. My league generally shies away from trading for closers in the off season, and the injures have made them both pretty much unmovable.

I should have traded Doolittle in-season when demand was high, but all the buyers were people gunning for me in the standings, so I held him. It makes me sick to remember what I turned down for him. But I won, so that makes up for a lot of mistakes. (I also won despite panicking and trading Kershaw for Hosmer and Gallardo when Kershaw got hurt early last year....worst move I've ever made).

Comment

Originally posted by chancellor View Post
                  And you have him at $20. Given that its a keeper league, I'd expect him to go for 40+ if you throw him in. Worst case, if your team goes in the tank, he'd command a huge return in a trade.
                  Yeah, its a $400 league actually, so he'd go for closer to $60 on the open market. I really didn't want to do this, so I'm glad I've been talked down. I just like the pieces he has to offer. If I didn't already have 15 stronger keepers, I might be tempted by the volume he is offering--I like those guys--but it really doesn't make sense for me to do this at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                    Damn, that makes a huge difference. A $20 Gomez in a $400 league is an incredible keeper.
                    What he said.

A lesson I've been trying to learn for 20 years in this game--The best move is often the one you don't make.
                    Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                    -- William James

Comment

Working...
                    X