Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eldiablo505
    Dumping immediately after the auction.
    This is annoying as well, but I'm curious if it's actually ever led to a title the following year? I've never tried it, very unlikely I ever will. The logic is that the first team to dump gets the best keepers, but so much changes over the course of the season that I'd figure just as many of the best keepers are traded at the deadline. But I play in a shallow league so a lot more great keepers go undrafted.
    If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
    - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
      Hey, ElD, did you have a terrible Valentine's Day or something, because your mean sarcasm directed at me feels embittered and unjustified. Perhaps, I'm being overly sensitive (it happens), but this fun you're having at my expense is disappointing coming from someone I consider a friend and ally on this site.
      Keep your head on a swivel. (Embed not working).

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
        What if the constitution says you are required to answer email and trade offers or you will be warned and then replaced if it continues?
        I think that it's a silly, petty rule, especially if the team is doing well. And how do you prove that the person refuses to answer ALL emails or trade offers, maybe he's specific about who he likes to deal with, it happens.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
        - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
        -Warren Ellis

Comment

the original Rotisserie book came out in 1984, and the philosophy was that the auction was a huge part of the whole season. sure, you could make trades, and replace an injured/demoted player, but there were a lot of limitations. for instance, if your DLd guy returned, you had to waive either him or his replacement - unless another opening had cropped up. there were also only 3 waiver moves all year, and iirc those consisted of claiming players someone ELSE had waived. I had Tom Hume of the Reds bullpen (4-13, 5.64 ERA in 113 horrible IP with 8 starts in midseason out of Cincy desperation), and I don't think I was ever able to waive him.

over time, the general sentiment has been for far more flexibility, of course.
          finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
          own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
          won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
          RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
          C Stallings 2, Casali 1
          1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
          OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
            I think that it's a silly, petty rule, especially if the team is doing well. And how do you prove that the person refuses to answer ALL emails or trade offers, maybe he's specific about who he likes to deal with, it happens.
            Regardless, it was a rule we all agreed to when we joined. The goal was to have a league full of committed owners that are highly active. I have never been in a league where I agree with all the rules...but if I sign up for the league I'd expect to have to follow them.

Comment

I don't remember the rules allowing waivers at all but I think the first copy of the book that I read was the 1988 version. I remember our league commissioner changing the rule when somebody won the league because his bad shortstop got hurt, very early in the season, and he was able to pick up a guy who had been called up who stole a ton of bases. That was probably about 1990. I do think there a lot to be said for rules allowing no free agent claims. You live by what you do in the auction and you plan accordingly.

Comment

Originally posted by heyelander View Post
                forever.
                Yeah, like my trade offer/email that I sent to you thru the PONY site and you never respond....lol

Comment

Originally posted by mgwiz22 View Post
                  I don't remember the rules allowing waivers at all but I think the first copy of the book that I read was the 1988 version.
                  another original rule was that if a guy was suspended for drugs, you couldn't replace him.
                  The late Alan Wiggins, whom I acquired in an offseason deal, started out 2 for 37 in the mid-1980s, got suspended, and I was left with a blank spot for 12 units for months! it was pretty hardcore...
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                    another original rule was that if a guy was suspended for drugs, you couldn't replace him.
                    The late Alan Wiggins, whom I acquired in an offseason deal, started out 2 for 37 in the mid-1980s, got suspended, and I was left with a blank spot for 12 units for months! it was pretty hardcore...
                    I remember that one.

Comment

Regardless, it was a rule we all agreed to when we joined. The goal was to have a league full of committed owners that are highly active. I have never been in a league where I agree with all the rules...but if I sign up for the league I'd expect to have to follow them.
                      Then the commish needs to step up to the plate...it's as much his fault for allowing ti to happen if the rest of the league feels that strongly about it.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                        Then the commish needs to step up to the plate...it's as much his fault for allowing ti to happen if the rest of the league feels that strongly about it.
                        And to add to that...roster cuts were due by Friday night...neither of them declared their keepers also forcing the commish team to make their cuts for them.

Comment

And to add to that...roster cuts were due by Friday night...neither of them declared their keepers also forcing the commish team to make their cuts for them.
                          Give them a final warning and if they don't respond, kick them to the curb.

-Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by DMT View Post
                            This is annoying as well, but I'm curious if it's actually ever led to a title the following year?
                            So in keeper leagues I have no issue with this. I took over a very poor team in an AL-keeper league after the 2013 season and it was abundantly clear I had nothing to work with so I burned it down and rebuilt right away. Led the league for pretty much all of 2014 before losing on the last day by a couple of counting stats. Thus, it can be done and in keeper leagues you need to know before the season starts whether you're in or out and commit to a path since it "should" influence how you plan your auction.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Tymer View Post
                              So in keeper leagues I have no issue with this. I took over a very poor team in an AL-keeper league after the 2013 season and it was abundantly clear I had nothing to work with so I burned it down and rebuilt right away. Led the league for pretty much all of 2014 before losing on the last day by a couple of counting stats. Thus, it can be done and in keeper leagues you need to know before the season starts whether you're in or out and commit to a path since it "should" influence how you plan your auction.
                              Sometimes you take a new team with NOTHING. And in a keeper format, you see five or six teams with outstanding keeper lists, you are NOT going to win. Maybe you could draft so well that you could make it interesting, but there is no way you could get such good luck and those five or six could have such poor luck to give you a title. In that situation, I could see dumping right after the draft. Otherwise, if you have a few decent keepers, I say go for it until Tax Day and then dump like the dickens.

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                                I'm not sure I ever agree that it's the case that a team goes into an auction with no chance of winning the league.
                                I've been offered spots in leagues with 15 keepers where I knew I'd need to rebuild for 2 years before being competitive
                                "You know what's wrong with America? If I lovingly tongue a woman's nipple in a movie, it gets an "NC-17" rating, if I chop it off with a machete, it's an "R". That's what's wrong with America, man...."--Dennis Hopper

"One should judge a man mainly from his depravities. Virtues can be faked. Depravities are real." -- Klaus Kinski

Comment

Working...
                                X