Fantasy Baseball pet peeves.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
    I really dislike people moaning and complaining about bad trades. As long as there is no collusion and the players were all available to everyone and the owners pay their fees, I don't think anyone has the right to complain. Ironically, we can't evaluate the trade until often years later and it always seems to me that the whiniest complainers are often part of the worst trades. It's one thing to think a trade is bad (I often do) but it's a totally different -and much more base- thing to lower yourself to bitch about it.

I don't like robust trade restrictions.

I don't like leagues that have so many crazy little rules. Simplify.

I think it's sad that CBS is the go-to stat service and it really is so very lame, and to like it, you really have to tell yourself that a lot of things that you might like to do in your league (waivers, contingency FAAB, seeing your whole roster on one fraking page) really don't matter at all.

I hate all pitchers.

I don't like the AL.
    I'm getting off your lawn! Stop yelling! Stop waving that gun at me!

Comment

Originally posted by Bodhizefa View Post
      A phenomenon in one of my leagues is the Deadbeat Owner Who Wins Anyway. This is a guy who never responds to trade offers and rarely FAAB's anyone, but his team consistently makes the playoffs regardless. We've got two original owners in one of my leagues that's been around about 12 years or so, and they fit this column. No clue what to do with them either.
      Sounds like a structural issue related to the H2H format. I can't recall seeing a Deadbeat Owner winning a standard rotisserie format. Deadbeat owners are still a huge problem, but it is a whole lot easier to deal with them when they are not winning.

Comment

Originally posted by madducks View Post
        And when you ask them why they didn't tell you or the rest of the league about a player being available, they say "I was just in a hurry to get a deal done and took the first offer." Meanwhile, they are the one who proposed the trade.
        Becoming trade buddies with league members is a skillset, dammit. I value being able to find the best means to communicate with my fellow league members -- be it by email, text, AIM, Skype, Gchat, Pony Express, or smoke signal -- and I continue to enjoy the fruits of spending the time chatting with the owners in whatever method suits them best. It has the added benefit of allowing me to become friends with the guys, too.

So yeah, I can't get behind the disliking the trade buddy bit because sometimes it's a concerted effort by at least one of the owners to make his avenues of trade more efficient (and beneficial).

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky View Post
          Sounds like a structural issue related to the H2H format. I can't recall seeing a Deadbeat Owner winning a standard rotisserie format. Deadbeat owners are still a huge problem, but it is a whole lot easier to deal with them when they are not winning.
          It's a dynasty league, so these guys are coasting on their building efforts of years past for the most part.

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
            In our league, all owners voluntarily send me keeper lists by about 24 hours before the deadline. I format 'em, and they can make any changes they like right up until the deadline (including making trades). If someone wants to go shock and awe by keeping a 45-unit Brandon Phillips (or dumping a 1-unit Ruben Tejada, lol), well, they can make the move a minute before the deadline. The other owners will all find out the surprise within 5 minutes of when I did, as I send out the keeper lists.

Meanwhile they don't have to worry about being the jerk who missed the deadline.

EDIT: Oops, this is the "pet peeves" list. Please move this over to the "Pet Peeves Solutions" thread.

I don't think it surprises me that JJ uses a recordkeeping service that requires him to notify owners of keepers via spreadsheet. Do you have to send out weekly results via regular mail too? Welcome to 1997!

Comment

Becoming trade buddies with league members is a skillset, dammit. I value being able to find the best means to communicate with my fellow league members -- be it by email, text, AIM, Skype, Gchat, Pony Express, or smoke signal -- and I continue to enjoy the fruits of spending the time chatting with the owners in whatever method suits them best. It has the added benefit of allowing me to become friends with the guys, too.

So yeah, I can't get behind the disliking the trade buddy bit because sometimes it's a concerted effort by at least one of the owners to make his avenues of trade more efficient (and beneficial).
              That is not the buddies I am talking about it is the ones who didn't make the effort but we're buddies before coming into the league and no matter how hard you work you can't crack the code.

Comment

A phenomenon in one of my leagues is the Deadbeat Owner Who Wins Anyway. This is a guy who never responds to trade offers and rarely FAAB's anyone, but his team consistently makes the playoffs regardless. We've got two original owners in one of my leagues that's been around about 12 years or so, and they fit this column. No clue what to do with them either.
                Then I wouldn't term them deadbeat owners...they simply don't have the need to tinker with their team if they're successful. Once the players get beyond their prime, and the teams start to slide is when you can determine if they're really deadbeats, or simply were smarter when they put their teams together...
                "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
                - Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

"Your shitty future continues to offend me."
                -Warren Ellis

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                  I don't think it surprises me that JJ uses a recordkeeping service that requires him to notify owners of keepers via spreadsheet. Do you have to send out weekly results via regular mail too? Welcome to 1997!
                  well, I don't use spreadsheets.

but not sure what is so ineffective about what I'm talking about. if the keeper deadline is noon, everyone has gotten an email noting all the keepers by 12:05 pm. the website is probably fully updated about 15 minutes later. is there something more advanced that allows everyone to have possession of everyone else's keepers before they've even decided on them, or something?

in theory, everyone could have their keepers finalized on the website the second the deadline hits. which is a whopping 5-minute improvement! but as noted here, in many/most leagues some straggler misses the deadline. I'm out ahead of those leagues, and not sure what leagues I'm behind.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Hornsby View Post
                    Then I wouldn't term them deadbeat owners...they simply don't have the need to tinker with their team if they're successful.
                    What if the constitution says you are required to answer email and trade offers or you will be warned and then replaced if it continues?

Comment

Originally posted by fuhrdog View Post
                      What if the constitution says you are required to answer email and trade offers or you will be warned and then replaced if it continues?
                      I can't imagine many people wanting to institute that kind of rule. And oversight would be a huge PITA for the commish.
                      If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                      - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Originally posted by eldiablo505
                        Um, someone tell the Dane that you can see your roster on cbs. Dude is seriously and hilariously struggling with pretty simple stuff over there.
                        I think he's referring to the formatting and that you can't see the entire roster on the screen.
                        If DMT didn't exist we would have to invent it. There has to be a weirdest thing. Once we have the concept weird, there has to be a weirdest thing. And DMT is simply it.
                        - Terence McKenna

Bullshit is everywhere. - George Carlin (& Jon Stewart)

How old would you be if you didn't know how old you are? - Satchel Paige

Comment

Um, someone tell the Dane that you can see your roster on cbs. Dude is seriously and hilariously struggling with pretty simple stuff over there.
                          Show me where on CBS where I can look at my whole roster (or at least just the hitters or pitchers) and make moves. I have to scroll up and down and I can't see all my options on the screen at the same time. There was a time (two CBS iterations ago) when I could see my whole team at the same time.

But, thanks for looking out. I'm glad you find it hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                            Show me where on CBS where I can look at my whole roster (or at least just the hitters or pitchers) and make moves. I have to scroll up and down and I can't see all my options on the screen at the same time. There was a time (two CBS iterations ago) when I could see my whole team at the same time.
                            My Team/Roster Grid

Comment

Originally posted by revo View Post
                              My Team/Roster Grid
                              I seem to be unable to make moves Active/Bench etc. from Team/Roster Grid. I've long used that as a way to see all the teams (even though it's missing contract/salary info, which I find I often need when I need to look at all the teams).

If you can make moves from there, let me know and I'll do it from there from now on. As it stands, I can only make moves from My Team and I cannot see the whole team on one screen on my laptop.

Comment

It is hilarious. The old man vs. new stuff griping amuses me.

My Team shows your whole roster and has tons of additional, helpful tabs, too - matchup, schedules, news, etc. There's another page that shows the full lineup of every team in the league on one page.
                                Hey, ElD, did you have a terrible Valentine's Day or something, because your mean sarcasm directed at me feels embittered and unjustified. Perhaps, I'm being overly sensitive (it happens), but this fun you're having at my expense is disappointing coming from someone I consider a friend and ally on this site.

Comment

Working...
                                X