2k15: Danny Santana vs. Jean Segura

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2k15: Danny Santana vs. Jean Segura

Going to combine these 2 guys since they seem similar to me.

Santana 2014: 430pa 319/353/472, 7hr, 20sb, 70r, 40rbi. 4.4% walk rate, 22.8% K rate, .405 BABIP, 26% LD rate, 45.9% GB rate
    Santana projections: 519pa .261-7-42-58r-18sb (steamer)

Segura 2014: 557pa 246/289/326, 5hr, 20sb, 61r, 31rbi, 5.0% walk rate, 12.6% K rate, .275 BABIP, 18.3% LD rate, 58.9% GB rate
    Segura projections: 517pa .262-8-46-52r-20sb (steamer)

Obviously vastly different last year, but steamer projects them to meet in the middle. I think Santana has more power but Segura has more upside in steals. Both seem like they should be guaranteed PT unless they totally suck - MIN has Eduardo Escobar who can play SS and Hicks/Buxton/Schafer who can play CF and MIL has Sardinas as a bench guy. I don't know if Santana sticks in the leadoff spot for MIN - they have Dozier who could hit #1 and Mauer who could hit #2.

I'll post a poll so people can vote but I'm curious if anyone is particularly high/low on either guy.
    Jean Segura
    0%
    Danny Santana
    0%

The poll is expired.

Segura had such a terrible year off the field last year that my hope for him is that his upside is higher than the middle ground. It's based on nothing but optimism and liking his talent the times that I have seen him play.

Comment

Honestly I guess you could throw the other speed guys into this too... I won't add them to the poll but here they are:

Elvis Andrus 2014: 685pa 263/314/333, 2hr, 27sb, 6.7% walk rate, 14% K rate, .305 BABIP, 20.5% LD rate, 58.6% GB rate
      Andrus projection: 662pa 269-4-53-76r-28sb (steamer)

Alcides Escobar 2014: 620pa 285/317/377, 3hr, 31sb, 3.7% walk rate, 13.4% K rate, .326 BABIP, 24.2% LD rate, 43.6% GB rate
      Escobar projection: 602pa 260-5-51-61r-23sb (steamer)

Last night's mixed LABR results:

Andrus 8.06
      Santana 11.04
      Escobar 12.05
      Segura 12.10

Comment

Before he was terrible, Segura started 2013 like a monster. For the first half of the season he looked great. His swing went to hell, but I read that he has been working hard with the coaches to put it back together, and he is very, very quick. If he manages to get on base, there are only a couple of guys who will be sure things to post bigger SB numbers. (More than two may, but only two would be sure things.)

Comment

I can't imagine the horror of losing a child, what that does to a person, much less how we do our jobs.

The talent is there how he mentally rebounds is the question. I am rooting for him. I would take him over Santana for the potential upside.

Comment

I'm keeping Santana, because I have him cheap. I would rather have Segura.

J
            Ad Astra per Aspera

Oh. In that case, never mind. - Wonderboy

GITH fails logic 101. - bryanbutler

Bah...OJH caught me. - Pogues

I don't know if you guys are being willfully ignorant, but... - Judge Jude

Comment

Originally posted by Gregg View Post
              I can't imagine the horror of losing a child, what that does to a person, much less how we do our jobs.

The talent is there how he mentally rebounds is the question. I am rooting for him. I would take him over Santana for the potential upside.
              Taking from personal experience (though my child was not a baby, but 19) this is not an easy thing to rebound from. Now for me I have been able to rebound easier than my wife has due to being able to be extremely busy at work. This has helped me to stop me from thinking about her every day. I would assume baseball is a bit different with a bit more downtime to have your mind wander. Time does heal as you learn to cope with the loss. It will still hurt, but he should be able to concentrate better this season. I would be expecting a nice rebound this year from Segura.
              Bob- I'm not exactly sure it would ROCK as you say it Byron.. it may be cool, by typical text book descriptions. Your opinion of this is shallow and poorly constructed, but allow me to re-craft your initial thought into something tangable.

Comment

I agree that Segura should have an improved year, especially in SBs. Despite being a Brewer homer, though, I'd take Santana on pure value. He will hit for more power, has dual position eligibility, and should still rack up about 20 SBs. This year I'd rather have the power than the added 10-15 SBs that Segura could get you.
                I'm just here for the baseball.

Comment

Why would you expect more power from Santana? I don't see it.

Comment

Originally posted by Flyman View Post
                    Why would you expect more power from Santana? I don't see it.
                    His ISO was 150, none of the other 3 were over 100 (Segura, Andrus, Escobar). Segura could probably get over 100 but I still think Santana wasn't just a BABIP fluke. He had a little bit of actual pop.

Comment

Working...
                    X