No announcement yet.

Something fishy about player injuries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Something fishy about player injuries?

You know, I've lost many players over the years for short spells and for seasons, with maladies ranging from frostbite to arachnophobia. But I keep seeing players out for some really odd reasons.

What is the thing with mononucleosis? I keep seeing guys out with mono. Is that a code word for something, sort of like Clapton was always diagnosed with "non-specific urethritis" instead of the clap.

Does anyone have a read on this, or is there really an epidemic of mono among major league baseball players?

one word == groupies

Comment

one of my favourite Stephen Wright-isms: I went to the doctor cause I thought I had mono; turns out I'm just lazy.
      It certainly feels that way. But I'm distrustful of that feeling and am curious about evidence.

Comment

Before the last couple of years, I'd never heard of guys getting oblique injuries, or situations where players needed hip surgeries. It's probably just that back in the day, ballplayers did get these injuries, they just weren't diagnosed in those terms to the media.

Per mono, I'd rather my players get that than the Kaz Matsui "anal fissures". Just tell me it's mono, and I won't ask any questions. Anal fissures? Look, I don't want to know the answers, but I have to ask the questions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jimmy Colorado View Post
          Before the last couple of years, I'd never heard of guys getting oblique injuries, or situations where players needed hip surgeries. It's probably just that back in the day, ballplayers did get these injuries, they just weren't diagnosed in those terms to the media.

Per mono, I'd rather my players get that than the Kaz Matsui "anal fissures". Just tell me it's mono, and I won't ask any questions. Anal fissures? Look, I don't want to know the answers, but I have to ask the questions.
          Yeah, tons of obliques and intercostal injuries these days, not many problems like Kaz.

Comment

Can't be as bad as Chris Snyder and his testicular fracture.

Comment

Players being in better shape get hurt more often. Not a Yogism but all the weight and other training triggers oblique/inter coastal strains

Comment

Originally posted by RenegadeGM View Post
                Can't be as bad as Chris Snyder and his testicular fracture.
                Michael Barrett and his intrascrotal hematoma was a classic.

The one I hear a lot that gets me is "flu-like symptoms". Look, either you have the flu or you don't. I suspect this is a euphemism for "hangover".
                Only the madman is absolutely sure. -Robert Anton Wilson, novelist (1932-2007)

Faith is believing what you know ain't so. -Mark Twain, author and humorist (1835-1910)

A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
                -- William James

Comment

"anal fissures"

One of our teams that year was renamed, in Kaz's honor, to "Anal Fishuremen" because it fit the owner's name, to some extent.

The Oblique Intercoastals might be a good name for a sardonic south Florida rock band...

"Flu-like symptoms" is just because a lot of things fit the description, most of them disappearing in a few days.
                  Last edited by Judge Jude; 04-10-2011, 11:45 PM.
                  finished 10th in this 37th yr in 11-team-only NL 5x5
                  own picks 1, 2, 5, 6, 9 in April 2022 1st-rd farmhand draft
                  won in 2017 15 07 05 04 02 93 90 84

SP SGray 16, TWalker 10, AWood 10, Price 3, KH Kim 2, Corbin 10
                  RP Bednar 10, Bender 10, Graterol 2
                  C Stallings 2, Casali 1
                  1B Votto 10, 3B ERios 2, 1B Zimmerman 2, 2S Chisholm 5, 2B Hoerner 5, 2B Solano 2, 2B LGarcia 10, SS Gregorius 17
                  OF Cain 14, Bader 1, Daza 1

Comment

Originally posted by Don Quixote View Post
                    The one I hear a lot that gets me is "flu-like symptoms". Look, either you have the flu or you don't. I suspect this is a euphemism for "hangover".
                    Thumbsup!
                    -----Manager of the unstoppable Rome Aerozombies of the Ugly Knuckler League-----

There are people who appear to single-handedly pull the rug out from under 300,000,000 years of evolution.

"necessary evil" is redundant.

It takes at least 12 bowls of cock soup to equal the vitamin and nutritional content of just one actual cock. --- B-Fly

NR's the right kind of sinner, to release my inner fantasies. --- Pat Benatar

Comment

Originally posted by Judge Jude View Post
                      "anal fissures"

One of our teams that year was renamed, in Kaz's honor, to "Anal Fishuremen" because it fit the owner's name, to some extent.

The Oblique Intercoastals might be a good name for a sardonic south Florida rock band...

"Flu-like symptoms" is just because a lot of things fit the description, most of them disappearing in a few days.
                      How about The Infected Sweat Glands?

Updating a previous item, Cliff Pennington (infected sweat gland) is back in the starting lineup for Wednesday's game against the White Sox.
                      Pennington missed consecutive starts with an infected sweat gland under his right arm. He'll bat ninth against John Danks.
                      Some people say winning isn't everything. I say those people never won anything.

Quitters never win, winners never quit, but those who never win AND never quit are idiots.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Some people are like Slinkies, they are not really good for anything but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

"...relentless inevitability of Yankee glory." - The Onion

Comment

Working...
                      X